Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 About upholstery
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bladeswell
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/04/2018 :  07:58:57  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello Everyone,

For anyone who has had your cushions reupholstered, do you happen to remember how many yards of fabric our boats need ? My boat has the "L" shaped dinette and a total of 13 cushions. Because of the odd shapes, I haven't a clue how to estimate the needed yardage. Thanks again.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.

BKPC25
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
74 Posts

Response Posted - 03/04/2018 :  09:41:12  Show Profile
Sailrite.com has a really cool fabric calculators.

1973 C22 #1803 "Baby Adalynne"
(1979 C25 #1389 "Adalynne")
Instagram: #sailingadalynne
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCQCd-egRgoAJi6fUvgEvI_A
Lake Travis, Austin, TX
Go to Top of Page

trbagpiper
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 03/04/2018 :  10:34:22  Show Profile
It depends if it's solid or you choose a pattern. I used 19yds of Sunbrella fabric with 12yds of underlining and 30yds of 3/4 batting.

Jim Ventimiglia
Toms River Yacht Club
'78 Cat 25 #945 SK/SR "Pipe Dream"
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 03/04/2018 :  13:59:06  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Thanks guys,

And I did find the sailrite calculator. Thanks again and nice pics.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

BKPC25
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
74 Posts

Response Posted - 03/04/2018 :  18:59:38  Show Profile
You could rip up the stitching and use the pieces for your patterns. Highly recommended Sunbrella just as Jim V. has used.
As long As You have a powerful enough machine you can sew it.
Also, Sailrite has a ton of videos that are super helpful.

1973 C22 #1803 "Baby Adalynne"
(1979 C25 #1389 "Adalynne")
Instagram: #sailingadalynne
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCQCd-egRgoAJi6fUvgEvI_A
Lake Travis, Austin, TX
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 03/05/2018 :  04:23:20  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I replaced my cockpit cushions and all inside cushions last summer. I had it done by a semi-local upholsterer experienced in replacing upholstery for cars and boats. Since I did not do it myself, I have no way of knowing the yardage. The whole job cost quite a bit. The outside cushions were completely replaced. The inside cushions, they indicated that the inside foam was fine, no smell, etc. and only needed steaming to puff them up a bit. Even so, having an upholsterer do the work is very expensive with small cushions costing something like $200 to re-upholster and the large cushions such as the outside cushions costing about $400-$500 to replace. This included coming down to estimate costs, pickup and delivery. If you have 13 interior cushions, it is quite a savings by doing it yourself...if you have the time and can do a decent job of it.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 03/05/2018 04:25:20
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 03/08/2018 :  23:14:00  Show Profile
The third answer sounds about right. The smaller the pattern repeat or a blank fabric will take a little less. I would use the cushions as a pattern but not the covers which tend to stretch and bag over long period of time. It is labor intensive especially if you make your own piping for the edges, but no more difficult than sawing a straight line. Lots of youtube videos but IMHO the Sailrite videos are the best.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page