Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Navigation lights for Cat 25
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pthatcher
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
14 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/26/2018 :  19:10:31  Show Profile  Visit pthatcher's Homepage
Does anyone know where I could buy new colored covers, that sit over the bulbs?

I want to, if possible, keep the housing that is already in the boat.

Thanks!

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 03/26/2018 :  22:43:34  Show Profile
I searched high and low for replacement lenses last year, and could not find them. If I wanted to buy a replacement lens, I had to buy the entire light assembly. Hopefully, someone else will pipe up with a source.

I did stumble into some nice LED upgrade options at http://marinebeam.com. Some of their products are direct-fit replacements for our lights. Some are USCG-certified, which is required by law in the U.S. Some are not USCG-certified and are less-expensive. Either way, they all exceed USCG visibility requirements.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/

Edited by - sethp001 on 03/26/2018 22:44:28
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 03/27/2018 :  03:05:41  Show Profile
This is where I bought mine

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=7758&familyName=Aqua+Signal+Series+25+Navigation+Lights

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3368 Posts

Response Posted - 03/27/2018 :  03:37:43  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
It's possible you may find Series 25 replacement lenses separately for sale, however, you have a number of obstacles: First of all, Aqua Signal is an Australian Company and so it is an imported light, though, a very popular light. But parts support is probably not that widespread versus distributors that market and sell just the complete light. Secondly, it is the least expensive light series that they sell and so not as profitable to sell replacement parts for it versus their more expensive series.

The Aqua Signal website does have a contact page that you can fill out the form and request info regarding buying just the lenses, but they may have slightly changed the series configuration thru the years and so the lens configuration of an early model Series 25 may not be exactly the same as a newer Series 25 lens configuration. Also, if they have replacement lenses to sell direct to you, the shipping costs are likely to rule that option out versus just buying a new Series 25 light (complete) locally or US mail-order for $25-$30.

Anyway, here is the Aqua Signal Website link - Then go to their contact page for the form to fill out and ask your questions. If they do offer replacement lenses, please share your info with all of us:
https://www.aquasignal.com.au

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 03/27/2018 03:42:11
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 03/27/2018 :  06:14:37  Show Profile
Here's another case where some vessel information in a Profile "Signature" would help--as you see in all of the replies so far. Older C-25s have "whale eye" side-lights in the hull, and "less old" ones have rail-mounted lights. Which are we talking about? ("in the boat" might be a clue.)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 03/27/2018 06:20:26
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 03/28/2018 :  05:44:41  Show Profile
("in the boat" might be a clue.)

Missed that. Mine are rail mounted. What year did they change?

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.
Go to Top of Page

pthatcher
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
14 Posts

Response Posted - 03/28/2018 :  21:10:22  Show Profile  Visit pthatcher's Homepage
Thanks for all the help......I will try to go with originals.....if not...I'll give the LED ones a try.
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3993 Posts

Response Posted - 03/29/2018 :  04:06:49  Show Profile
I haven't done this but you could try buffing them like they do with auto headlights. Worth a try.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 03/29/2018 :  19:42:57  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

I haven't done this but you could try buffing them like they do with auto headlights...

A bigger issue than clarity is they lose their color--especially the red side. Pale green and very light pink are not suitable for navigation lights.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page