Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Sheets to weather...!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bladeswell
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/03/2018 :  21:22:58  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello Everyone,

Are you leaving your sheets and lines rigged and in place while away from the boat? I don't know if this has been a mistake or not, but I have been. So I am wondering, am I courting sun and weather damage by leaving them in place ? I live in So. California btw. Sometimes after a rain, I come back to the boat and find green places on the sheets. Thinking about it, I guess it wouldn't be much trouble to remove them all after a days sail. Except for halyards I suppose. Thanks guys.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 04/03/2018 :  21:54:40  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
As your second to last sentence points out, the halyards remain out there 24/7/365. So would your mainsheet. And topping lift, if you have one (which you should, BTW). If you have a roller-furling headsail you would want to leave the sheets on, wrapped around a few extra turns so they keep the sail from unrolling when you're gone. And the furling line stays in place. Even if you leave a hank-on in its bag on the foredeck, it's an unnecessary extra step to coil the sheets after sailing, and then to carry the bitter ends aft around the shrouds before you can go out next time.

Dacron lines are fairly resistant to UV degradation, and they are unaffected by water (and probably unaffected by a little green algae). What little degradation the sheets may suffer from the sun is essentially meaningless on our little boats, because we size the sheets for comfort in the hand rather than for strength - they are so enormously oversized for the tensile loads they carry.

You will probably replace them due to abrasive wear long before the elements would cause you to retire them.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 04/03/2018 :  22:13:35  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Thanks Lee,

And yes, I do have a topping lift as well as roller furling and the outhaul and a vang..... Thanks again.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3369 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2018 :  04:17:11  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I leave my sheets on all the time and I suspect most sailors do same. My sheets do weather and first to go was at the single knot on my furling rig - My sheets were one long length with knot at mid-pt. When the line separated at the knot, there was still useful life in the line - I then tied each sheet separately at the sail. After another year or two, I noticed that the sheet was weathering/significantly deteriorating along it's length and so I then replaced the sheets this past year. I have had my boat since Oct 2005. I believe I have changed the sheets out after the first few years of owning the boat and then about a year ago. So, the sheets left on year-round lasted a long time. I was satisfied with my original sheets and so replaced with same - Sampson XLS Extra T.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2018 :  04:39:02  Show Profile
Most sailors I know leave the jib sheets in place if their jib is roller furling and remove them if it's not roller furling.

If the jib is roller furling, they adjust the tension on the jib sheets so that they don't droop and rest on the deck, and they coil the ends and either hang the coil over the winches or hang them on the lifelines. Coiling and hanging them lets air circulate all around them and helps them dry more quickly after a rain, preventing growth of algae.

If the jib is hanked on, some people remove the sheets, coil them and stow them in a locker and some leave them attached to the clew of the jib, coil them and toss the coil in the sailbag with the sail. Wet sheets shouldn't be put in the sailbag. They should be untied from the clew, coiled and hung to dry.

The bottom line is if you leave the jibsheets in place, your concern should be to leave them hanging in a way that keeps them off the deck, so they can dry quickly.
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2018 :  05:16:21  Show Profile
Lines are a well made product that last a long time out in the environment. You get your money's worth. Damage comes more from dirt and salt in the fibers that damage them, Cutting the fibers. They would benefit more from removing them once a year and tossing them in a washer.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9015 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2018 :  08:11:51  Show Profile
You can think of it this way: How much time would you spend (for one sail and over a year) attaching and removing lines? Would that ever affect a decision to go sailing vs. doing something else? If your environment causes you to replace some grayish lines after some number of years (like 10?), would it thereby be worth it? (...and the new rope would be prettier!)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/04/2018 08:13:37
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2018 :  09:16:48  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello All,

And thanks again. I feel better now. My sheets are wrapped around the furled head sail and then back to the cockpit with the ends coiled and looped over the lifelines. So I guess I accidentally did it right. Most of my lines are looking pretty old but seem to be ok for now but I think I will be looking at replacing them all before long. Then I will know that they will be good for ten years or so. Again, my thanks.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2018 :  09:50:19  Show Profile
quote:
My sheets are wrapped around the furled head sail and then back to the cockpit with the ends coiled and looped over the lifelines. So I guess I accidentally did it right.

Your a better man than me, I just coil the ends and stuff them into the coaming box in a feeble attempt to keep them dry and out of the sun.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2018 :  14:47:32  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi Scott,

unfortunately they didn't have the coaming boxes yet on my year, 1979. wish they did.

bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2018 :  16:52:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bladeswell

Hi Scott,

unfortunately they didn't have the coaming boxes yet on my year, 1979. wish they did.

bladeswell

They were probably a factory option in 1979. When I ordered my C25 in 1980 they were optional. The last time I checked, you could buy them from Catalina Direct and retrofit your boat.

If you google "coaming box" you'll find a number of different companies that sell them with a variety of designs.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2018 :  17:55:58  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Thanks Steve,

I didn't know that. I will check them out.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page