Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Holding Tank Capacity
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wye Knot
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
5 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/24/2018 :  09:49:18  Show Profile
Good Day,
I am still i discovery mode on the boat. I have searched the Catalina owners' manual and cannot find the capacity of the holding tank. The previous owner believes it is 11 gallons and I found a forum posting on the net which states that it is 17 gallons. The post stated that the tank was a Ronco Plastic Model B123. I would appreciate additional input so as to manage the holding tank level and avoid an unpleasant learning experience.
Thank you.
Bill

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2018 :  18:46:02  Show Profile
Bill,
The C250 Marine Head was an option that not many owners bought.
It's not that we are ignoring you, it's just that we don't know the answer.
I'm not sure, but the marine head might have only been an option for the Winged-Keel and not available for the Water-Ballast model.
Because the holding tank is near the transom, it might also interfere with the wheel steering option.

Can you please confirm you have a winged-keel with tiller steering?

Thanks, Russ

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2018 :  21:01:56  Show Profile
I had a wing keel version that came out of the factory with a marine head/holding tank and a tiller. I am told that it was 13 gal capacity. A later owner converted to wheel steering and had to reduce holding tank to 6 gallons due to the space requirements.

Bottom line: It can be almost anything, since this is a non-standard option that is often installed or modified by the dealer instead of the factory. I think the best way is to measure capacity by adding a known quantity of water and getting back there with a flashlight to observe the level. A good rinse would never be a bad thing anyway.

If I were installing one again, I'd get an upright tank and locate it right behind the wet locker. That long hose run back to the aft lazarette is horrible, with a dead volume of a couple gallons, and an long uphill slope that fails to drain into the tank. As a result, it is impossible to do a good purge of the line, and stuff invariably permeates the hose.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page

Wye Knot
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
5 Posts

Response Posted - 04/28/2018 :  04:45:44  Show Profile
Hi Russ, the boat is a wing keel with Edson Steering. Thanks, Bill
quote:
Originally posted by Russ.Johnson

Bill,
The C250 Marine Head was an option that not many owners bought.
It's not that we are ignoring you, it's just that we don't know the answer.
I'm not sure, but the marine head might have only been an option for the Winged-Keel and not available for the Water-Ballast model.
Because the holding tank is near the transom, it might also interfere with the wheel steering option.

Can you please confirm you have a winged-keel with tiller steering?

Thanks, Russ

Go to Top of Page

Wye Knot
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
5 Posts

Response Posted - 04/28/2018 :  04:50:14  Show Profile
Thank you Rick. I see the hoses going aft can be a problem and hold waste residual.

quote:
Originally posted by TakeFive

I had a wing keel version that came out of the factory with a marine head/holding tank and a tiller. I am told that it was 13 gal capacity. A later owner converted to wheel steering and had to reduce holding tank to 6 gallons due to the space requirements.

Bottom line: It can be almost anything, since this is a non-standard option that is often installed or modified by the dealer instead of the factory. I think the best way is to measure capacity by adding a known quantity of water and getting back there with a flashlight to observe the level. A good rinse would never be a bad thing anyway.

If I were installing one again, I'd get an upright tank and locate it right behind the wet locker. That long hose run back to the aft lazarette is horrible, with a dead volume of a couple gallons, and an long uphill slope that fails to drain into the tank. As a result, it is impossible to do a good purge of the line, and stuff invariably permeates the hose.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page