Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Galley foot pump
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RichardG
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
990 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/27/2018 :  16:17:43  Show Profile
Anyone replace the hand pump in the galley with a foot pump?

RichardG 81 FK/SR #2657
Terminal Island, CA

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/27/2018 :  18:50:36  Show Profile
No, but in my current boat, I have instead a electric demand pump that turns on when pressure drops (a faucet opens or the head is flushed). Pretty nice. Works with ordinary plumbing faucets, and only draws current when a faucet is opened. Mine is also on a panel switch.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

RichardG
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
990 Posts

Response Posted - 06/28/2018 :  08:59:11  Show Profile
Yes, I installed pressure water years ago, but it uses too much water because it runs continuously until you turn it off. A small foot pump seems like it would be better for cleaning dishes because it leaves both hands available compared to the original Whale Flipper. I was thinking of using a Whale Babyfoot Pump (this worked very well for plumbing in fresh water to the head), but I was curious of where/how to install it, and if others have done it.

RichardG 81 FK/SR #2657
Terminal Island, CA
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/28/2018 :  09:49:22  Show Profile
It's been done but I can't seem to find the discussion in a search. Most if I remember correctly put the pump at the bottom right of the cabinet if you are facing the sink. Should be an easy project but I don't know if it will work with your system already pressurised. Will it be able to push or pull water past the pump is a concern. If it will then that would be cool having the two options.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 06/28/2018 10:04:29
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 06/29/2018 :  09:38:36  Show Profile
My C&C has both a pressurized system and a foot pump. The two systems both draw water from the same tank, but they have separate spigots, but the one for the foot pump doesn't need to have a valve, because water only flows when you pump it. It shouldn't be difficult to set it up.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

jmczzz
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
92 Posts

Response Posted - 07/10/2018 :  03:28:39  Show Profile
I installed a foot pump under the ladderway step. it is out of the way, on the side near the sink. the hoses in / out are thru holes drilled just to the right outside edge of the ladderway leg next to the sink. it is easy to reach while using the sink with left foot. the faucet is a simple one no valve and rotates/goes up and down. it is a great improvement and waste no water.
installed it by making a shallow form out of tape -^- and filled it with epoxy chopped fiber and stuck the pump in that while it was still liquid. secure and hope it last longer than me so i don't have to see if i can break it lose...

1978 C25 SK SR # 808
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 07/10/2018 :  10:37:16  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi Everyone,

Tho I am in the process of installing a pressurized water system in my boat, I actually think of it more in the way of possible resale value rather than how much I will really use it. Am I the only one who eats on good quality heavy paper plates ? Just throw them away when done, no dishes to do. I make sandwiches and pack other things that require no cooking for when I'm out sailing. Just seems to save a lot of time and work this way. Just wondering....

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page