Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 C 25 Very short wires to new deck connector
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sailingoldsailor
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
13 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/18/2018 :  09:03:45  Show Profile
I am replacing the deck connector on my 1984 C 25 and found VERY short wires in the access (1/4"-3/8").
Any clever ways to make the connection with the Catalina Direct 4 pin chrome brass fitting? It uses TINY philip head screws that lock in the bottom plate. Have managed to only lock in one of the boat wires at a time. VERY frustrating!

I am considering soldering a short pig tail to existing deck wires, then attaching to fitting. Not enough room for crimp connectors. Plan to bend into a small circle then cover with heat shrink tubing and push below 1/2" opening in fiberglass deck.

PLEASE HELP any better ideas? Have you ever done this? What are the pit falls other than totally rewiring?

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 07/18/2018 :  10:44:22  Show Profile
That works, I did the same thing

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 07/18/2018 :  19:41:27  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage
I agree with the solder on a short extension approach. I've done similar repairs to the one cabin light circuit I haven't yet replaced in my C25. I totally rewired my mast lights, from masthead, to deck connector, to circuit breakers and switches, to batteries on both my C25 & C22.

Way back when I did the C25, I installed some huge gauge wire, like #14 I think, because I was installing incandescent bulbs. When I rewired my C22 this year, I used lighter wire, knowing it would have only LED lights.

I still haven't done a very good job of hiding the mast wiring in the head compartment of the C25. For the C22, I found some aluminum channel with snap-in plastic cover which did a rather clean job of securing the overhead runs of wiring in the cabin, if I do say so myself.

-- Leon Sisson

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 07/19/2018 :  07:57:24  Show Profile
I also extended the wire. Good thing because I have since replaced the connector a second time.

Wesley Allen
"Breaking Wind"
1982 C-25 SR/TR/SK #2773
Hemlock, MI

Edited by - WesAllen on 07/19/2018 08:00:34
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 07/19/2018 :  15:08:42  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage
Re: "I have since replaced the connector a second time."

I haven't been impressed with the thru-deck electrical connector originally used on the Catalina 25 (and 22). I replaced mine with the 5-wire Aqua Signal Watertight Cable Outlet and Plug Assembly, part #80100-7. About my only caution regarding the Aqua Signal connector assembly is to minimize the chances of a flailing jib sheet or other line to get snagged under the horizontal part.

-- Leon Sisson

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page