Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Last "Official" sail of the season
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ppetracca
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
163 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/08/2003 :  16:10:37  Show Profile
Saturday marked our club's Kris Kringle Regatta, ending our Fall Series and the racing season for the year. I am pleased to report <i>Yankee Spirit</i> placed 2nd in the regatta and finished 4th in the Fall Series. Not too bad considering we missed one series race for vacation and I pulled committee boat on another.

While the end of the season saddens me, it is a short break. January 10th will see our Frostbite Race and the Winter Series will begin on January 24th.

To all the "seasonal" sailors. Anytime you want to crew a race in the winter, come own down to sunny New Mexico (just check to see we still have water!!)

Edited by - on

Bryan Beamer
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1038 Posts

Response Posted - 12/08/2003 :  17:23:49  Show Profile
Because the racing season is over does that mean you are done sailing for the year?

If so why?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ppetracca
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
163 Posts

Response Posted - 12/08/2003 :  17:32:35  Show Profile
Bryan,

Not at all. We try to go down to our boat every weekend (it's 2 hours to our marina).

We make sure we at least sail every other week. I also sneak out during the week whenever I can.

This is the best sailing time. No one else on the lake but other sailors and a few fishermen. No powerboats or PWC's.

I thought about having Christmas on the boat, but my wife says my mother-in-law won't come so I don't see the problem!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 12/08/2003 :  17:47:06  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">...my wife says my mother-in-law won't come....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That reminds me of a time I invited a very refined, elderly couple from Philadelphia to spend a day on my boat, and the lady asked me if she should bring a deck chair. I had to confess that my boat wasn't that big.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Beamer
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1038 Posts

Response Posted - 12/08/2003 :  19:01:11  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I thought about having Christmas on the boat, but my wife says my mother-in-law won't come so I don't see the problem!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That is even more of a reason to have Christmas on the boat

What part of NM do you live? I think your lake is about a 6 hour drive down I-25 from ours.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ppetracca
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
163 Posts

Response Posted - 12/08/2003 :  20:38:39  Show Profile
We live in Albuqueruqe, however our sailing lake is Elephant Butte Lake, 2 hours South of Albuquerque. Our northern lakes did not have enough water to sail this past summer. I am also looking at Conchas Lake, about 3 1/2 hours East of Albuquerque. It is almost always full because the water is not allocated for anyone's use (for the time being).

You are about 6 hours North on I-25. What condition are your lakes in up there? How close is your "home port" lake to me? I would not be opposed to heading your way on a long weekend next spring/summer if you have water.

(How about them Broncos!!)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Beamer
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1038 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2003 :  13:34:08  Show Profile
Our lake is Lake Pueblo in Pueblo West, Colorado. The water is low. This summer is the lowest the lake has been since the late 70's. Even at the low pool stage we still have a descent area to sail. I personally don't mind the water level being low. It keeps the people that should not be on a boat away from the lake.

In April 2000 when we first launched Daylight Again the water depth at my slip was 82' this summer it went down to 24'. As of Sunday it is climbing and is at 31'.

They say if we get normal precipitation the lake will raise 28', if that is the case we won’t see the lake as low in the summer of 2004 as it was in 2003.

My mom lives in Bisbee, Arizona. I have driven by Elephant Butte many times but have never stopped.

Pueblo West is around 340 miles from Albuquerque.

My signature picture was taken October 19, 2003. The lake was at it’s lowest then, if you look hard you can see the high water mark on the shore behind us.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2003 :  13:48:38  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">In April 2000 when we first launched Daylight Again the water depth at my slip was 82' this summer it went down to 24'. As of Sunday it is climbing and is at 31'. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

24 feet?...When I pulled out of my slip in October the depth meter read 3.5 feet!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Oscar
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2030 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2003 :  14:23:05  Show Profile  Visit Oscar's Homepage
[quotethe water depth at my slip was 82'][/quote]

Don't drop anything in....

Oscar
250WB#618 "Sunrise on the Neuse River"

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2003 :  14:38:24  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oscar</i>
<br />[

quotethe

Oscar
250WB#618 "Sunrise on the Neuse River"

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
How biblical

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page