Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 dry storage
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AndyR
Deckhand

Member Avatar

Australia
11 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/09/2004 :  07:19:50  Show Profile
Hi everyone I'm Andy in melbourne australia owner of cat 25 'flying fish' (love the boat) This winter I want to store it (wing keel) off the trailer so I can clean the bottom properly. I was thinking of resting it on the keel supported by 4 poles on adjustable chains hanging down to the deck to balance the boat. Is this OK? any one tried this? Thanks
Andy n Barb "flying fish"

AndyR
a.rozsa@pgrad.unimelb.edu.au

Edited by - on

cvwall
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
56 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2004 :  08:25:35  Show Profile
Andy, buy or rent some portable jackstands. Rest the weight on the keel (blocked, of course), then use the jackstands to support the hull. Use chain between the jackstands to keep them from moving once they're placed and the pads adjusted. You can move them to access the hull under the pads by setting up a spare stand next to the one you want to move. By doing this one at a time you can prep and paint the covered areas once the rest of the bottom is done.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

lcharlot
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Antigua and Barbuda
1301 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2004 :  08:36:04  Show Profile
Andy - The weight should be about 85% on the jackstands and 15% on the keel. Also, do you know how your boat got to Australia? Was she sailed there on her own bottom or carried as deck cargo on a freighter or container ship?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

osmepneo
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
1420 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2004 :  09:32:20  Show Profile
Andy, welcome to the family, its good to know that our babies are downunder!

It would be interesting if she was sailed there on her own bottom, as Larry asked.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2004 :  12:45:23  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by lcharlot</i>
<br />Andy - The weight should be about 85% on the jackstands and 15% on the keel...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Larry, I think you got this backwards...the boat's weight should be resting on the keel when using boatstands.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

rford
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
73 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2004 :  13:04:23  Show Profile
Which is it, keel or stands?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2004 :  14:30:05  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rford</i>
<br />Which is it, keel or stands?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Why its slings of course!

http://homepage.mac.com/fhopper/PhotoAlbum33.html

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2004 :  15:15:43  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage
As Charles Wall described, most of the boat's weight should be supported by the fixed keel resting on heavy blocking. Just enough weight on adjustable boat yard stands to stabilize the boat.

Swing keels should not be subjected to any of the boat's weight. Around here, swing keel boats are blocked up using four steel oil drums supporting two heavy wooden beams just ahead of, and behind, the swing keel trunk. This provides access to the keel for servicing. At least one or two pair of adjustable yard stands are added to stabilize the boat.

-- Leon Sisson

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

AndyR
Deckhand

Members Avatar

Australia
11 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2004 :  18:42:28  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for the good advice. I cant get that sort of instant help with my car... We are the third owners of 'Fish' and have met the previous two. She is in excellent condition inside and out fitted with a universal diesel which runs like new. I understand she was shipped out here. There are several 25's in charter or ex-charter on our gippsalnd lakes (3hrs drive East of Melbourne- wonderful sheltered freshwater cruising) We sail mainly on Port Phillip Bay which is relatively sheltered waters. I believe 'Fish' has crossed Bass straight to Tasmania as its only ocean voyage. again thanks everyone.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2004 :  20:08:06  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rford</i>
<br />Which is it, keel or stands?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

From the [url="http://www.boatstands.com/index2.htm"]Brownell Boat Stands[/url] website...

[url="http://www.boatstands.com/safety.htm"]Boatstand Do's and Don'ts[/url]

[url="http://www.boatstands.com/howto.htm"]How to Chose and Use Boatstands[/url]

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page