Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 More Head Questions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CKidd
Deckhand

Member Avatar

7 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/29/2004 :  00:22:06  Show Profile
<font face="Arial">Similar to a recent thread concerning the cleaning out of a full head tank left by a PO, I too am in the middle of the same right now. My conclusion...NOT FUN! I'm really second guessing keeping the Crittenden head and 14 gallon tank in favor of a removable porta-potti, but I've dealt with porta-potti systems on our camper and those were not the most pleasant experiences either. My initial thought was that my present system would have more capacity than the standard or large capacity porta-potties, but after reading the O&M manual, I'm concerned on how much water the system uses per flushing. I also envisioned that the marina pump-out station would be a better experience than hauling the porta-potti around, but I'm a novice there too and unsure about the whole thing. Question, are most owners prefering the porta potties, do many still use the Crittenden system, and if so, how many uses can you get before having to pump the head tank empty. Any feedback would be appreciated. I'll be sailing on an inland lake.</font id="Arial">

Edited by - on

RoofRoof
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
186 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2004 :  19:14:10  Show Profile
My chickie would not even have considered a portapotti. Having a real marine head was one of the reasons we landed on a Catalina 25. Some other models we were considering had only portapotties.

We sail exclusively in the Gulf of Mexico off of Tampa Bay. We're usually out the required miles and hence pump overboard. We have a "Y" valve just in case we are boarded while within the 3 mile limit. But, it really only rarely gets used, and only when we're out in the Gulf.

We decided on the marine head easily. She said, "I'm not emptying it, and I said, I'm not emptying it." Porta Potti that is. So, marine head it is. By the way, we do have a holding tank that has never been used, but is plumbed in the system via the "Y" valve.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2004 :  20:06:33  Show Profile
Have you considered a porta-potti that has a pump-out feature? Best of both worlds IMHO . . .

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Douglas
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1595 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2004 :  11:35:32  Show Profile  Visit Douglas's Homepage
Cleaning out the holding tank ? I presume some one left a nasty deposit in there for you. There are addatives you can use to desolve the left over debris. Holding tanks is not empty after each trip can be like septic systems. Some live microbes must be in the tank to desolve any solids . You can also get toilet paper that desolves. Local RV store will be cheaper than West Marine. Same for chemicals and any plumbing parts. Flushing is another issue. Some people dont know how to use a head correctly. Ok it might be embarasing but. 1)pre wet the bowl with one or two pumps. 2)line part of the bowl with TP to prevent fecal material from sticking. 3) When using the head for #2 while seated and in the act give it a pump (1) to aid the deposit along into the pump and tank. I find doing this or a variation of it you should only need 2 or 3 strokes to move the debris to where it belongs. Also consider the distance from the head to holding tank. On some boats the tank is under a seat and on others its in the bow. You may be leaving material in the line. If so a good pump out at the end of the trip will be needed. Odor in the head lines / plumbing can be eliminated by flushing with fresh water and a little lemon juice after a trip. If your in salt water this odor is more of a problem. Good maintenance will prevent it. Run a tea spoon or two of vegatable oil down the head once in a while to keep the seals lubed. When you empty the holding tank pump it out re fill it by pumping the head and empty it again untill you get no debris showing in the pump out fitting view tube. Ugly I know but ! Some stations may not have this clear part on the sucktion line. If you have a Y valve be sure to keep a device on it to lock it into the tank possition. Its a hefty fine if your caught. Place a nice stick up or air freshener in the head area . If you have enough money you can go whole hog and get a macerator system and a teflon bowl.

Edited by - Douglas on 05/30/2004 11:36:43
Go to Top of Page

CKidd
Deckhand

Members Avatar

7 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2004 :  19:11:21  Show Profile
RoofRoof, OJ, & Douglas - Thanks for your input. I'm going to proceed with the existing system another season or two and then decide on another course of action if needed. I appreciate your comments.

Chris Kidd

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ronrryan
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
561 Posts

Response Posted - 05/31/2004 :  12:12:36  Show Profile
There is an absolutely terrific lady called Peggy Hall on the website for Catalina-Hunter-Beneteau-etc, called "the Head Mistress" which is worth reading, she (literally) wrote the book on heads and is very helpful to querants, Ron srsk #2343 Orion SW FL

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Alan Clark
Captain

Members Avatar

406 Posts

Response Posted - 06/01/2004 :  11:48:57  Show Profile
Since I also am new to heads other than helpning on a friends Catalina 30, I quieried Peggy Hall and Also bought her book, it is a worthy purchase and is currently on board! By using her system I have NO head odor that I had when I first bought the boat. And THAT is good!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

deastburn
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
334 Posts

Response Posted - 06/02/2004 :  20:55:04  Show Profile
The head should not use much water to flush if you do it according to the instructions. Also, you should use water supplied from a through-hull valve to supply your head, not water from the fresh water tank (esp. if latter is not equipped with a check valve!)I bought my C25 (as did others) in large part because of the marine head. I have it pumped out occasionally, or dump overboard through a Y-valve whenever I am offshore far enough.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TomA
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
91 Posts

Response Posted - 06/03/2004 :  14:28:21  Show Profile
In the "for what it is worth column", I keep a gallon or two of fresh water in plastic milk jugs tucked in beside the head. I find it easy to tell my guests to pour in water from the jug and pump the handle to clear the bowl. I don't have to deal with opening through hulls and switching the lever a couple of times on the head. Also, fresh water (as opposed to salt) seems to help in the fight against odor. But, everyone has their ways of doing things.

Tom

Edited by - TomA on 06/03/2004 14:29:24
Go to Top of Page

Champipple
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
6855 Posts

Response Posted - 06/03/2004 :  14:35:26  Show Profile  Visit Champipple's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">When you empty the holding tank pump it out re fill it by pumping the head and empty it again untill you get no debris showing in the pump out fitting view tube<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Or have the guy pumping it out fill it with the hose and re-vacuum. Its quicker and the standard procedure at every pump out station I've been to around here.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page