Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Problems with Sailnet/Marine.com???
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dblitz
Navigator

Member Avatar

240 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/24/2007 :  16:34:13  Show Profile
Have any of you had problems placing orders with Sailnet/Marine.com
Been wanting to buy some hardware from them for a few days. Their site doesn't let me buy more than 1 of an item and then wants to surcharge for a minimum purchase, duplicate shipping costs. Called and was able to get through to someone once who indicated he wasn't in sales so he couldn't help. Tried to call on 3 other occasions but nobody picks up the phone. Feels like the business is a part-time affair. I am hesitant to give them my CC info when, and if, I ever do get through. Do I need to worry or are they reputable????

Daniel 86 "Solar Wind" #5339 C-25 FK/SR I/B Diesel

Edited by - on

Sloop Smitten
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1181 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2007 :  17:33:23  Show Profile
Daniel,
If you can't get them to help you spend your money what are you going to do if you have a problem with the order, or for that matter, never receive it? A good looking web front is no guarantee of a reputable business. Spend the few extra dollars and work with a company that has a good track record. Defender can probably match anything Sailnet offers.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2007 :  18:28:01  Show Profile
I haven't bought anything from SailNet since the reorganization a few years ago, but before then, I purchased quite a bit. I never had any customer service issues myself, but some people have had problems.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ClamBeach
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3072 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2007 :  19:40:56  Show Profile
Ditto Don's comments above. I do most of my mailorder business these days with Defender, Layline, Catalina Direct and Mauri Pro Sailing.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ct95949
Captain

Members Avatar

Aruba
300 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2007 :  22:11:18  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ClamBeach</i>
<br />Ditto Don's comments above. I do most of my mailorder business these days with Defender, Layline, Catalina Direct and Mauri Pro Sailing.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Ditto again. Sailnet used to get 90% of my business, now the new owners get none. Defender is now my main source. Also check out APS, good prices and shipping.

Edited by - ct95949 on 04/24/2007 22:13:29
Go to Top of Page

Ericson33
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
892 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2007 :  23:54:20  Show Profile  Visit Ericson33's Homepage
I waited 2 months for an order I placed for a 24' long t-track, finally had to call Scheafer Marine, and found out the order was never placed with them, I then called the Marine.cm's number asked for the shipping department, and handled it thru the shipping depo. I will never shop there again, but they do have good prices, but it's not worth the hasstle.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Champipple
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
6855 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2007 :  06:44:44  Show Profile  Visit Champipple's Homepage
Ditto --lot of business prior to the re-org. There were a number of problems as the company started failing. I though the new guys would have gotten it together by now.

Their VP of sales was interested in an affiliate scenario prior to last year's nationals. Send an email to me via the link and I will try and track down his email address.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2007 :  07:56:24  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage
Same opinions and similar experiences as above. Had a successful transaction or two with the old Sailnet.com before they started screwing up on a large scale.

Defender is a small family business with an excellent track record. They've occassionally made minor mistakes on orders, in my favor more often than not. They've always been quick to do what it takes to make it right. Defender's managment seems to be enthusiastic about, and engaged in sailing. Where their inventory overlaps West Marine, Defender's prices are usually lower. They also offer many DIY products not found in other retail consumer oriented catalogs.

-- Leon S.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

existentialsailor
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1180 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2007 :  08:42:28  Show Profile
Defender or Hamilton Marine are your best bets for hardware. APS or Layline for lines or halyards. Catalina Direct for items specific to our boats.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dblitz
Navigator

Members Avatar

240 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2007 :  21:55:00  Show Profile
As a follow-up to my own post. I tried calling them on a number of occasions and while the phone system tries to impress as a business of a certain size, the only person I ever actually spoke to was John. I get a feeling that he's the only person who's actually there. Anyway, after speaking to him the second time he indicated he was checking whether the item was in stock. The webpage just wants to take the order, CC No. and seems to give the idea that the items are in stock. Not so. John advises that the item is not in stock and, actually, I know that it is an item that Ronstan has discountinued. Glad I didn't buy thru the webpage cause then I would have had the added work of trying to get through (not easy, since there seems to only be 1 person there)and getting the credit for something that was never going to ship. It seems that their webpage just takes various manufacturers product databases and presents them to customers as mdse that is available where, in my case at least, they aren't. That was just my experience as far as 1 type of Ronstan shieve is concerned.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 04/27/2007 :  14:31:18  Show Profile
Sounds exactly like what happened last time they folded... I ordered an anchor rode with 30 feet of chain. I got the chain, but it was not spliced to the 250 feet of line I ordered... Some futile phonecalls and then they went belly up leaving me to explain to a credit card company that receiving 30 feet of chain does not constitute a rode. After A LOT of paperwork, I wound up getting the refund and kept the chain for my troubles... Never again,

Mind you - up until that point they were flawless. I got a 10 foot Zodiac for $1155 delivered... etc...

sten

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Champipple
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
6855 Posts

Response Posted - 04/27/2007 :  22:37:00  Show Profile  Visit Champipple's Homepage
Try calling this guy
Kane Bender -
610-361-7743

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Brooke Willson
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
983 Posts

Response Posted - 04/28/2007 :  07:03:05  Show Profile
Just about the time Sailnet was going under, they had a terrific sale on the Forespar 7-17 whisker pole, so I ordered one. It didn't come and didn't come, but my credit card was charged. I called my bank and Sailnet, and contested the sale. The money was credited back to my card, and about a week later the pole arrived. I contacted Sailnet and told them the pole had arrived, and they should now charge my card, but, I suppose in their reorganization chaos, they never did. So, I got an even more terrific deal on the pole. I don't lose any sleep over this -- I did everything I could to pay for the merchandise. (Yes, I'm probably the entire cause of their bankruptcy.)

I'd never order from them again, no matter how reorganized they are.

Brooke

Edited by - Brooke Willson on 04/28/2007 07:04:47
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page