Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 traveler sheaves
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

calden
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/06/2010 :  05:57:37  Show Profile
Hey all:

Looking to do a cheap replacement. My '83 C25's traveler has lost a sheave and the other two are cracked and ready to go. The two on the traveler bar are slightly larger than the other one, look to be nylon sheaves.

I can't find direct replacements on Catalina Direct, but I'll call them tomorrow (today's Labor Day) and see. Of course they DO have the entire traveler car assembly replacement, but that's $50, and if I can just find sheaves I can save some money.

Anyone done this? Find another source?

Thanks,
Carlos

Edited by - on

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 09/06/2010 :  11:22:32  Show Profile
Carlos - the four sheaves will probably cost close to $50 (my two for the masthead were $52.50) I suggest that you get the whole assembly.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Harleyworker
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
73 Posts

Response Posted - 09/08/2010 :  08:56:33  Show Profile
Calden,
if you find a cheap source for the sheeves let me know, I think mine are the original ones and are failing apart cause they are so brittle. Or if you can find an alternate fix that will work.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

andy
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
228 Posts

Response Posted - 09/08/2010 :  09:18:38  Show Profile  Visit andy's Homepage
I've purchased masthead and stock traveler sheaves from Catalina Direct. Fairly reasonable $$.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 09/08/2010 :  11:22:19  Show Profile
I think you can get away w/o sheaves on the traveler...when adjusting, we position the car by hand and just adjust the lines that hold it in place...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

calden
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 09/08/2010 :  11:51:34  Show Profile
I ordered some nylon sheaves from Duckworks that look like they will work. About $11 with shipping. I'll need to try and drill out the riveted sheaves that are there now, and replace the rivets with SS machine screws and locknuts. If this doesn't work I'll order a new traveler at that point. I'll report back.

Carlos

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 09/08/2010 :  12:48:29  Show Profile
Somewhere in Techtips or a forum post there are dimensions and possibly a part number for the traveler sheaves as a stock item bare sheave from West Marine. I replaced mine several years ago. Drilling out the rivets is the only painful part.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 09/08/2010 :  16:53:44  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave5041
<br />Somewhere in Techtips or a forum post there are dimensions and possibly a part number for the traveler sheaves as a stock item bare sheave from West Marine. I replaced mine several years ago. Drilling out the rivets is the only painful part.</i><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"><font face="Times New Roman"><font size="3">I rebuilt my stock Catalina traveler car with general purpose ballbearing sheaves. It now runs very smoothly on the round bar.

I used: <ul><li>(2) Harken #277 "Micro" (bare sheave, 7/8"OD, 3/16"ID, 13/32"W),</li><li>(2) Harken #160 "Bullet" (bare sheave, 1-1/8"OD, 1/4"ID, 1/2"W),</li><li>(2) #10-24x1-1/2" machine screws with self locking nuts,</li><li>(1) 1/4-NCx1-1/4" machine screw with self locking nut,</li><li>misc. flat washers, lock washers, etc. as needed to fit.</li></ul>The 1/2" wide Harken #160s ride on the underside of the traveler bar -- those are your monorail wheels. The Harken #277s are for the 3/16" 2:1 traveler control lines, and are held by the same #10-NC machine screws as the Harken #160s. Where the mainsheet shackle attaches to the top hole in the traveler car, I have only a stainless steel bushing around the 1/4" bolt -- no sheave.

I ground the peened ends off the stock rivets and drove them out with a punch. Don't loose any tiny parts! The rivets were replaced with the #10 machine screws.

-- Leon Sisson
</font id="size3"></font id="Times New Roman">

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 09/08/2010 :  18:11:32  Show Profile
You can drill the heads off the rivets either by going with a drill bit slightly smaller than the head of the rivet OR you can use a much larger drill bit and drill slowly until the head of the rivet starts to get loose. I prefer going with a larger drill bit that is very sharp.

Either way once the head gets loose use a punch to knock out the body of the rivet.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page