Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Dingy home made flotation tubes... your input...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2012 :  10:08:15  Show Profile
That is incredible! Way to go Zeil...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2012 :  16:40:55  Show Profile

The intention is to tow the dingy with the back part of the floatation tubes in "up", position to reduce drag. The dinghy is easily covered or uncovered with the tarp from the open stern of our C250. Combined weight of the tubes is approximately 10 lbs which should have little influence on the dinghy's drag...

Even though the project was a bit of a challenge and experimented with a bunch of alternatives, it took also a little longer than anticipated.

We're happy with the overall result and am anxious to do some actual water trials. After that it's time to buy a little 2 hp Honda or equivalent...

Thank all of you guys for your suggestions, help, input, ideas and interest in this project...

Edited by - zeil on 06/20/2012 16:44:48
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 06/29/2012 :  19:51:57  Show Profile

Since yesterday noon we became the proud owners of brand-new little air cooled 2.3hp, 59cc long-shaft Honda outboard.

The long-shaft will be used for the dinghy as well as auxiliary power for the 1995 C-250. Albeit a little long for the dinghy it'll be perfect for the stern of the 25 footer.

Since we won't be able to plane anyway, propulsion provided by the long-shaft should be about the same with the only caution to be aware of hitting bottom.

We anticipated a lot more exhaust noise but happily surprised this model seems to run very quietly.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 07/15/2012 :  21:41:27  Show Profile

Finally had a little time to actually test our home-made flotation tubes on the lake... the result? We're thrilled with the performance and what's even more, Johanna feels now totally comfortable with the stability of this little vessel.

It performed above expectations with the two of us on board and powered by the 2.3hp air-cooled Honda. We did tight circles, back-up, forward, leaning over to one side, put all our weight on one tube etc. Here are some photo's

Another thing that makes this 7.5ft dinghy even more attractive is the fact that it just fits in our Astro Van with the doors closed and on top of the seats with the back folded down. The motor stores neatly underneath the the seat... go figure...

Attaching both tubes takes less than 5 minutes

Ready to Launch

Floating for the first time with the tubes... notice the waterline

Floats are barely touching the water in down position... In up position, without load for towing, they should be clear of the water

Load testing for uplift

Notice that, my modest weight, is entirely supported... don't ask...

No problem standing or "rocking the boat"

Trying a new and lighter pair of oars with home-made oar-locks... details later...

Dead-slow at first and while gaining confidence doing more daring stuff including spinning around in one spot, back-up and fast forward

Honda 2.3 hp even though the boat's rating is for 1 hp but that is without floats.

No wonder that Johanna and I have reason to grin.
We do want to thank all of you for your help, suggestions, ideas, discussions and willing to stay with us during the project... thank guys, much appreciated...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

8chenuu
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
3 Posts

Response Posted - 07/16/2012 :  03:46:59  Show Profile
Congratulations on a most impressive solution to a real problem faced by many owners of hard dinghies.

My solution to the same problem is primitive by comparison (full disclosure - I make Dinghy Dogs http://dinghydogs.com whose installation and removal appear to be somewhat easier.

I hope I'm not violating forum rules but there is nothing like the satisfaction of solving a problem and I salute you on a job well done.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5239 Posts

Response Posted - 11/02/2012 :  14:50:19  Show Profile
Hey 8chenuu
I like the product, however, I assume your unfortunate placement next to Mr. WineeBeeBra puts you in a precarious position....

BTW, your title page has a typo:
Harvey Products 73 Wright Lane North Kingstown R 02852 401 295 8382
Should be an I in RI
Peace out

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

C250 Editor
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
32 Posts

Response Posted - 11/02/2012 :  15:18:03  Show Profile
I've deleted both of the offending posts from our friend WineeBeebra, at no peril to 8chenuu.

David

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

8chenuu
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
3 Posts

Response Posted - 11/02/2012 :  15:27:17  Show Profile
Thanks for the comment and especially telling me about the typo. It's a pet peeve of mine and am embarrassed by this one. It's fixed!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Voyager</i>
<br />Hey 8chenuu
I like the product, however, I assume your unfortunate placement next to Mr. WineeBeeBra puts you in a precarious position....

BTW, your title page has a typo:
Harvey Products 73 Wright Lane North Kingstown R 02852 401 295 8382
Should be an I in RI
Peace out
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page