Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Coaming Box Fix
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

philagnes2003
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/04/2013 :  03:20:17  Show Profile
After I had my aft cushions redone, I finally when after the coaming box leak with Marine Tex. I pulled out all the old sealant, some of it 3/4" wide. Then I re-drilled the drain holes.

I posted the fix in the gallery, (The site would not format the URL correctly)

https://www.catalina-capri-25s.net/cgi-local/MBR_gallery.cgi?Album%202455%20127

[url="https://www.catalina-capri-25s.net/cgi-local/MBR_gallery.cgi?Album+2455+127"]Coaming box fix

Mac's Bounty
2003 C250 WK #679
Orient Harbor, NY

If you think you can, or think you can't, pretty soon you find out your are right! H.F.

Edited by - C250 Editor on 07/04/2013 10:27:25

philagnes2003
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 07/06/2013 :  06:24:54  Show Profile
Thanks for the URL fix. The boat is dry, the fix worked!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

c22sailor
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
26 Posts

Response Posted - 07/11/2013 :  06:44:01  Show Profile
I am a new owner of a 1996 C250 which is leaking somewhere in the stern area and soaking the quarter berth cushions. The battery storage area is puddling as well. The stern bulkhead is now rotten and will need to be replaced. Could you describe to me the coaming box fix? Are the boxes removeable somehow? I have heard this may be part of my problem.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 07/12/2013 :  09:41:58  Show Profile
Craig,

I had the same problem with water near the battery box.
You don't need to remove the coaming boxes, just clean the area and apply a sealent (I used caulk, but may use Marine-Tex epoxy).

As a test, open the battery box area and dry with a towel.
Spray the cockpit with a garden hose then check the battery box again.
You should see water dripping in the battery box area near the aft cleats.
If the coaming box fix doesn't stop the leak, then you have water coming from someplace else (like a loose cleat, etc)

Russ

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

c22sailor
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
26 Posts

Response Posted - 07/13/2013 :  09:52:18  Show Profile
Thanks Russ. I hadn't looked inside the coaming boxes to see how they were constructed. I discovered I was also getting water intrusion from the mast wiring plug. I got that one sealed. Forward cushions seem to be dry now.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 07/13/2013 :  20:36:46  Show Profile
Graig:

Our '95 C250 was one of the boats who encountered a similar problem.

<u>READ DANGER!! </u>

Water (in our case GASOLINE from an improperly closed 3 gallon tank gas cap while trailering the boat over a rough road) entered the fuel compartment and by dripping through the floor into the battery compartment below. From the battery compartment it ran into the aft compartment and soaked the aft berth cushions.

This is a serious problem and can be extremely dangerous!! One tiny static spark and the boat would have blown sky-high, myself included!!

Several C250 of the same vintage have reported this problem.

To remedy... remove the fuel compartment lid and all its contents. Clean the floor of the compartment thoroughly especially around the hollow edges. Inspect the deck/sidewall connection and floor all around the entire compartment very carefully, (use a mirror if required and a spark-free light) most likely you'll see exposed fiberglass fibers or thinly glassed areas. If required test with water to locate leaks.

In our case water/fuel entered alongside the inside of the walls/deck connection, pin holes and through a "thin spot", of the tanks floor. Sealing the hollow wall/floor connection with a gasoline resistant caulking is, after a drying out period, not a big job.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> The stern bulkhead is now rotten and will need to be replaced.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"> Some people have removed the bulkhead permanently

Edited by - zeil on 07/13/2013 20:40:52
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2270 Posts

Response Posted - 07/13/2013 :  20:54:05  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zeil</i>
<br />Graig:

Our '95 C250 was one of the boats who encountered a similar problem.

<u>READ DANGER!! </u>

Water (in our case GASOLINE from an improperly closed 3 gallon tank gas cap while trailering the boat over a rough road) entered the fuel compartment and by dripping through the floor into the battery compartment below....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
When we were shopping for our boat, we found two C250s where a hole had been cut into the floor of the fuel locker to route the alternator wire down to the battery. I considered that an unacceptable practice and it was a deal-breaker for both boats. If a dealer had done that during commissioning, I consider it unforgiveable.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zeil</i>
<br />Graig:
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> The stern bulkhead is now rotten and will need to be replaced.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"> Some people have removed the bulkhead permanently
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I am surprised by this. I always believed that the bulkhead provides added rigidity to the hull. I would think this might be especially important on the boats with single backstays, due to the asymmetry of the stresses on the hull.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 07/14/2013 :  15:20:42  Show Profile

Not sure if the 1) bulkhead, 2) material and it's 3) location would be considered a required structural member on the C250's

Perhaps someone could provide structural insights, other than esthetics and perhaps a divider to separate the battery from the aft compartment.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page