Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Removing a Frozen Turning Ball
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomas
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
7 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/05/2014 :  20:54:42  Show Profile
Hello - everything was going well with removing my old swing keel cable and winch until I needed to remove the turning ball. The PO hadn't replaced it since 2008 and it is not only frozen in place, the cable had worn a groove in the ball over time.

I am reluctant to use a punch to remove the turning ball pin bcause of the force I might require.

Has anyone experienced the same? If so, I would very much appreciate your advice on removing the pin and ball.

Thanks!

Tom

Tom

Edited by - on

BCG-Woodbury
Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
396 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2014 :  20:59:43  Show Profile
Thomas -

I think this is pretty common. Mine wasn't too bad when I did it last year. A drift punch should pop the pin out with minimal impact. Have you removed the rubber hose yet? Are you in the water or on the hard? I did mine on the trailer and it was a piece of cake. Took less than an hour to do the cable, I also re-built my winch just before that.

Regards,

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
7 Posts

Response Posted - 05/06/2014 :  04:06:09  Show Profile
Thank you Brian. My boat is on the hard and I'm bringing her back into shape by taking care of all the previous owner's deferred maintenance. I am replacing the winch as well, and have removed the old winch, cable, and hose, and am dealing with the stuck turning ball. It is extremely worn and seized, and may be binding the pin. I did try tapping with a punch but did not get any movement at all. I was concerned about tapping any harder. I am thinking of using a heat gun to possibly free the turning ball but not sure. I will post a photo later this morning. Thanks!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 05/06/2014 :  04:28:05  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
i soaked in penetrating oil and used a punch took a little bit, but limited room prevented me from really hitting it to hard.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TEM58
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 05/06/2014 :  05:29:16  Show Profile
Tom,
This is fairly common. Take a look at this thread for some ideas.
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27545&SearchTerms=Turning+ball

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
7 Posts

Response Posted - 05/06/2014 :  11:05:27  Show Profile
Thanks Tim and Dasreboot. Great suggestions. I'm on my way home and will use the penetrating oil and the C-Clamp w/ sockets rig - what a creative solution. Will let you all know.

Tom

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 05/06/2014 :  14:59:42  Show Profile
A little NeverSeize when you reassemble.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
7 Posts

Response Posted - 05/06/2014 :  21:00:30  Show Profile
I did try all the options. So far, nothing has budged the pin even a millimeter. It may be time for me to turn it over to the yard. Will try again in the morning before doing so. Thanks!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TEM58
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 05/07/2014 :  06:19:18  Show Profile
Ouch! Hopefully the penetrating oil was able to work overnight. Good luck.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
7 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2014 :  08:58:54  Show Profile
Hi everyone - thanks for all your advice. I was using penetrating oil made by WD-40, and it didn't produce any results. Yesterday I used PB Blaster. Sprayed it twice in a 30 minute period and I was able to knock the pin through with a punch. I'd recommend PB Blaster to anyone who has encounters a frozen turning ball.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page