Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Keel swivel pin with worn keel
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

odonnellryanc
Navigator

Members Avatar

108 Posts

Response Posted - 03/16/2018 :  06:13:15  Show Profile
Awesome job. How important do you feel this type of work is? From the effort I'd assume quite important!

My keel is in OK shape, but there's no bushing. Of course there is wear where the keel was sitting on the pin and bumping about. I'm doing the regular maintenance, but I'll have to see how much play I have with the new bushing.

It's quite a task just removing the keel, I don't think I'd be able to do this type of job on top of everything else and still sail this season!

Trunk and other hardware will be inspected and replaced as needed, and of course the lifting hardware has been serviced.
Go to Top of Page

treadlite
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
9 Posts

Response Posted - 03/16/2018 :  07:45:56  Show Profile
Yeah I think its pretty important. You loose the keel whether it be the cable or the pin, you have a sinking boat.

I think as long as you do regular inspections on that pin, you should be fine if its just a little worn. You could also do the smaller stainless bushing from catalina direct.

I did all this repair with the boat on the trailer. Was a pain, but easier than pulling it out for sure.

Just need to go sand down the bondo, and paint, and its about ready to go back in the water. :)

1982 Catalina 25 swing keel.
Located on or around Utah Lake, Utah
Go to Top of Page

odonnellryanc
Navigator

Members Avatar

108 Posts

Response Posted - 03/17/2018 :  12:36:21  Show Profile
I feel it'd be weird to have a catastrophic failure because of minor wear around where the bushing should go in the keel, but I could be wrong!

Of course all the other equipment needs a very solid inspection, which it will get. I'm replacing much of it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page