Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 SITE SEARCH
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Member Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/16/2018 :  09:24:04  Show Profile
OK, it has been a year or two since I have been able to search this site. I'm looking for suggestions. It appears to search but doesn't display results. I have turned off all blockers, allowed third party cookies, and used two browsers. The problem has been there across two versions of MacOS, multiple versions of Safari and Firefox, and two computers. Other users with the same version of my previous OS and Safari version had no problems.

I'm currently using MacOS High Sierra (10.13.6), Safari 11.1.2, and Firefox 61.0.2 on a MacBook Pro with 2.5 gh I7 and 16 g of RAM. I reverted to Google from DuckDuckGo as my default search engine as a test.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/16/2018 :  14:49:02  Show Profile
I use plain old Google search in my browser with catalina-capri-25s along with whatever search item I need. Works > 50% of the time.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 08/17/2018 05:10:19
Go to Top of Page

Commodore
Russ Johnson

Members Avatar

USA
690 Posts

Response Posted - 08/16/2018 :  20:12:21  Show Profile
Dave,

Does the Forum search work correctly for you?

Does the Google search on the left menu work correctly for you?

Also, the home page and Forum are on the .org (Windows) server.
The Members Area is on the .net (Linux) server.
I could understand the site search not returning results from the Members Area.

Russ

Russ Johnson, Commodore 2009-2022 (commodore at catalina-capri-25s.org)

Edited by - Commodore on 08/16/2018 20:13:34
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/17/2018 :  06:57:11  Show Profile
I've never had much luck with the Google Search (left side), but always found the Forum Search (upper right) to be useful. The latter lets you limit to a specific forum (like C-25) or not, look for terms in "subjects" or in entire posts, see recent (active in the past year) or archived threads, search by user ID, etc. The only thing that wasn't intuitive was that checking "Archived Posts" omits the recent threads, so sometimes you need to search with and without that check-mark.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 08/17/2018 06:57:37
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 08/17/2018 :  19:46:06  Show Profile
DUH, I"ve never tried the search in the header - works fine. The sidebar search and google option delay slightly like they are searching, but no results are displayed. I'm happy to use the search in the header. I can accept that because others with the same OS and Safari versions had no problems when I first addressed the issue a year or two ago. That leads me to believe in a gremlin at my end never to be identified and an effective solution.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 08/18/2018 :  14:08:45  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I never tried the Google search but always used the search in the header with no issues.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 08/19/2018 :  10:03:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dave5041

DUH, I"ve never tried the search in the header - works fine. The sidebar search and google option delay slightly like they are searching, but no results are displayed. I'm happy to use the search in the header. I can accept that because others with the same OS and Safari versions had no problems when I first addressed the issue a year or two ago. That leads me to believe in a gremlin at my end never to be identified and an effective solution.

I don't think it's a gremlin on your end. The Google search function in the nav bar on the left hasn't worked for me for several years, with three different computers, and with three different Mac OS versions and at least as many browsers.

The search function in the header has always worked for me (after someone else on here pointed it out).

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2018 :  06:33:54  Show Profile
Oh that google search. Don’t use that one.
But if I’m looking for info on a boating related topic while I’m using Google search directly in Safari I am often surprised at the number of citations from this forum. Case in point: gas shocks for boats. Several pointed to discussions here. Same is true about solar boat vents. If I add catalina-capri-25s to the search, BINGO!

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page