Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Repairing a delaminated tiller
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

1519 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/29/2019 :  08:49:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do I repair my spare, delaminated C-25 tiller?

Is it simply a matter of filling each space with epoxy and clamping until completely hardened?

I plan on fixing it to have a working spare.

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5853 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2019 :  09:03:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used white carpenter's glue to repair mine and then coated it with polyurethane.

I fabricated a replacement out of 2X10 mahogany. I selected a plank that had a curve in the grain in the right place to accommodate the curve in the tiller. I also made the tiller's cross-section thicker to make it stronger.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2019 :  09:17:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably what I would do just make sure the epoxy is runny enough to get into the nooks and crannies then clamp it up real good. After it cures sand it down and coat it. Heck it might be stronger than ever. The exterior wood glue probably would work just as well

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 05/29/2019 09:21:12
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5239 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2019 :  13:26:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Titebond makes a white glue, however, that’s not waterproof. They also make a waterproof glue as well.

Their website has a product selector that gives you the recommended products for your application.

Nothing wrong with epoxy either, however, it probably pays to clean the surfaces well before gluing, as recommended by the manufacturers

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 05/29/2019 13:30:17
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2019 :  17:36:16  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd go with a liquid epoxy such as WEST (my favorite) with a relatively slow hardener (206 or 209). First, clean the wood thoroughly with acetone. Planning ahead a bit, have the tiller heated up all the way through before applying the mixed epoxy. Then let the wood cool. As the air in the gaps and inside the wood cells contracts from cooling, it will pull the epoxy deeper into the places you need it to go.

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2019 :  04:27:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gorilla Glue. Make sure the wood is wet when you do it. Clamp it after you apply, trying to keep the clamps clear from the wood as much as possible so you can wipe the seams, and stay with it over the first two hours wiping off the excess as the glue expands out of the layers. It is pretty hard stuff after it dries, difficult to sand down without a large grit.

With most glues it is important to clamp it up well, with Gorilla glue that's not the case, so I would not be worried about not having enough clamps.

After sanding apply several coats of a sanding sealer first which fills gaps but is soft to sand down and dries really fast between coats, otherwise your poly will just flow into the laminate and not cover the edges.

Then give it three coats of polyurethane sanding with an extremely fine grit between coats.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2019 :  20:34:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used Gorilla Glue on the tiller I'm now trying to find (see my post in another thread). LOL

Worked great.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 05/31/2019 :  10:30:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, guys, thanks for all the good suggestions.

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page