Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Starboard question?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Enchantment II
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
88 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/30/2019 :  14:16:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I purchased anew motor and bracket. I will remove my old bracket and replace with a higher rating for the new motor(Tohatsu 9.9-25 inch shaft). I was going to mount a 1/2 inch piece of starboard on the interior and between the new bracket and the transom. Any thoughts on this idea? Any experience with Starboard?

Joseph Henderson
82-CAT 25 TR SK

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2019 :  14:45:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't go wrong with more reinforcement so yes go with both sides. Starboard is just HDPE. White cutting boards are also HDPE. That's a hint.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2019 :  06:37:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did that for my 110 lb. high-thrust Honda with Starboard, cutting it with a curve that followed the edge of the transom so the board extended a few inches below the bracket. The forces on the hull are at the bottom of the mounting plates on the outside of the transom, and the top on the inside where the liner isn't as strong as the hull. The 25" shaft increases the leverage from the thrust. I think a smaller backing board is a good idea for the upper bolts inside, and I don't think is as necessary for the lower ones. I rounded the corners and edges on the inside backer to minimize point-pressure against the slightly concave surface. I used a plastic-compatible sealant near the edges and around the bolt holes on the outside board. (It might even reduce vibration noise on the hull.)

Somewhere I was led to believe Starboard is formulated to resist UV damage or discoloration, where a kitchen cutting board might not be--especially a white one.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Enchantment II
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
88 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2019 :  10:38:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information.

Joseph Henderson
82-CAT 25 TR SK
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2019 :  17:39:04  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joseph,

Here's a link to a recent topic you may find helpful.

http://catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31496

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2019 :  21:40:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Enchantment II

I purchased anew motor and bracket. I will remove my old bracket and replace with a higher rating for the new motor(Tohatsu 9.9-25 inch shaft). I was going to mount a 1/2 inch piece of starboard on the interior and between the new bracket and the transom. Any thoughts on this idea? Any experience with Starboard?

FWIW, I used 3/4” for added stiffness and it moved my 9.9 Yamaha 4-stroke a little further away from the transom and rub rail. Power head just clears when tilted.

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page