Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Dodger for C25
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/21/2020 :  17:29:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’m sure there’s been a good deal of discussion on installing a dodger for a C25 somewhere around the forum and I’m sure I’d turn something up in a search but it’s been awhile since I’ve seen any discussions on this.

Has anybody purchased a dodger for the boat recently and if so what was the approximate cost?

I see one on Sailrite but I’d need to have a sturdy sewing machine and would have to know how to operate it expertly. Not so much for me...

Any advice is welcomed!

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 02/21/2020 17:30:47

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 02/21/2020 :  21:00:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce -- I believe most posts have centered on the relative clearance between the boom and a dodger with the old tall rig vs standard rig boom height dilemma. My boat at one point in time had a dodger based on some remnant hardware. Typically what I have heard is that a Bimini is more useful and less cumbersome than a dodger -- but back to that boom height debate. If you decide to go with a Sailrite, they do rent their sewing machines to folks who buy a sail or dodger kit. However, I agree with your trepidation on doing it yourself. As for cost of professionally installed "new" I bet other sites, like Sailingforum or Cruisingforum or Sailnet would have some info (and lots of opinions!)

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT

Edited by - bigelowp on 02/24/2020 12:49:50
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 02/22/2020 :  05:41:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter, thanks. So that’s why there’s not much talk about them here... they just don’t properly fit on our boats.
I love the bimini as I use it regularly during the “Dog Days” of summer. But it’s not much good once the season changes to fall sailing and you’re getting strong winds and copious and chilly spray in the cockpit.
I wonder whether there’s a way to add some kind of isinglass to the gap between the cabin-top, gunwales and the forward edge of the bimini with Velcro or something?

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 02/22/2020 :  07:14:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suspect dodgers aren't seen often on C25s because they aren't really very effective in keeping the cockpit dry, especially when you consider their cost. The best way to keep warm and dry is to wear warm clothes and good quality foul weather gear.

Dodgers are really indispensable for livaboards, because they cover the companionway and prevent rain from coming down the hatch when you climb in or out. Without a dodger, your teak and holly floor repeatedly gets wet and the finish deteriorates quickly, and it gets tiresome to have to dry the floors every time it rains.

You are most likely to get spray in the cockpit when you're sailing closehauled against steep, choppy waves. When a wave rolls under the boat, the bow drops off the backside of the wave and throws a huge dollop of spray into the air when the bow drops into the water. Much of the water is thrown up and to windward. That water is blown aft and to leeward. Instead of being blocked by the dodger, it flies around the windward side of the dodger and falls over the gunwale and into the cockpit. Weather cloths will help keep the cockpit drier. When the boat is heeling, the windward weather cloth hangs over the cockpit, somewhat like an umbrella, protecting it from spray. Long distance cruisers often use weather cloths to protect the area between the lifelines and the gunwale. You can duck down behind one to shield you from the spray that comes over the gunwale.

A bimini doesn't protect you from spray, but sitting or standing under it helps to shelter you from falling rain, especially if you're motoring or motor-sailing.

Personally, I avoid sailing to windward in those conditions. If I can't avoid it, I dress warmly and wear good foulies and just tolerate it for a few hours.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 02/22/2020 07:43:46
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/22/2020 :  10:28:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There used to be a picture on this site of a C-25 with a bimini that had a detachable windshield and side curtains over the cabin so it converts to a dodger. I recall it was dark red. The pop-top can be an issue, but I think this one had a zippers on both sides of windshield so it could be opened to allow the pop-top to be raised. I couldn't find the picture just now... But back then it got me thinking about having the components made for Passage's bimini. A good canvas shop is probably worth the cost--a dodger should be more precisely fitted and constructed than a bimini needs to be.

But I agree with Steve, having sailed on some boats with dodgers--they are most useful at anchor or at the dock, and can be another obstruction to visibility under way. To his advice on attire, I'll add a swim mask--it can make spray much more tolerable.

EDIT: There are 3 in the Tech Tips. Here's one.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/22/2020 11:29:31
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2020 :  07:11:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve, thanks for the background info. I have found myself in that very situation sailing to windward in heavy chop and breezes. I have some long vinyl covered cushions that I’ve propped up on the rail similar to the weather cloth. I might invest in some long nylon sheets with grommets in the corners to tie onto the stanchions.

Thanks Dave for the link.

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 02/23/2020 07:14:52
Go to Top of Page

blanik
Navigator

Members Avatar

Canada
210 Posts

Response Posted - 02/28/2020 :  02:10:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I couldn't live without mine!

The previous owner made it with pvc pipes and fittings, the bimini fits over it so when it's raining i can leave the hatch open and the cockpit stays dry, i even enjoy sitting outside with a drink at anchor watching the rain

Sadly i can't post pictures straight to this comment

1984 C25 FK/SR #4593
Lake Champlain

Go to Top of Page

Boomeroo
Navigator

Members Avatar

Australia
128 Posts

Response Posted - 03/05/2020 :  21:45:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great topic . I fitted a bimini and it folds to the cabin top . After a few attempt to use it as a Dodgers I had a zipper sewn on the front and back of the bimini and then with the matching zip a 6in section of sunbrella. Very cheap and easy .no sail makers visits etc. I then purchased a 3 ft of clear plastic sewed it on to the front zip sunbrella and with an eyelet punch created a quick fit Dodgers. On the aft I sewed a section of sun shade .
Easy to fit and take home to a standard sewing m/c. .

Graeme Bishop boomeroo Australia
C25 SK
Go to Top of Page

NCBrew
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
338 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2020 :  10:31:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about some pictures

Thanks

1998 Catalina 250WK
Ravaging
Albemarle Sound,NC

I spent most of my money on boats and beer, the rest I just wasted.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page