Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Pull new wire in mast
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

doublereefed
Navigator

Member Avatar

167 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/23/2020 :  11:08:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a short somewhere in my mast. I have a block that is connected to the mast base plate, when it contacts the mast it sparks. I think I have a hot that is contacting metal, but surprised the mast is a ground? All of the lights work properly, so that doesn't make great sense either. I looked at the manual, it looks like 4 wires up the mast, and with 3 lights (anchor/steaming/deck) that fourth is a ground. Inspection required, but I won't see the boat for a few weeks yet.

I Googled around, can't find any info on what is going on inside the mast. Is there a conduit for electrical, or are lines and wires all running up the same race? Has anyone pulled new wire, can give me some advice?

Thanks!

'95 C250 WB #61
Midway, UT

RPLieser
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
70 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2020 :  07:18:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 1997 C250WB #312 has a conduit. I added a mast top antenna through this conduit. When adding this coax cable, I noted that the conduit had come loose from the rivets that hold it to the mast in two locations... so with much angst, I re-riveted those locations. I've never had to re-wire, but have taken each light apart to clean connections. During my cleanup, I also replace the deck connector plug/receptacle, Catalina Direct #2029. I did have an occasional short issue near the base as the wire exits the mast - a new grommet and Rubbaweld took care of that.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page