Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Messy cleanup around fuel locker
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

frejoh
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
116 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/05/2020 :  17:57:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the black, almost sooty build up in and around the fuel locker? Fumes going through a chemical change? And is there a preferred way to clean it up? And prevent it?
A last philosophical question: Does trying to keep a boat clean ever end??

Fred Johnson
250 WK #669

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5853 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2020 :  18:25:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best information I've found is that it's black mold. The theory is that it is propagated by ethanol in the gas. Scrubbing with bleach or with a household cleaner with bleach should remove most of it. I have heard that Concrobium will deter it from returning. I bought some to use this spring, but haven't tried it yet. I have seen Concrobium for sale in Lowes.

Incidentally, I have been using ethanol free gas for about the past 4-5 years and haven't had the problem. Here's a website that lists ethanol free gasoline stations all over the US. https://www.pure-gas.org/ Occasionally you can find it in marinas. I suggest you avoid using ethanol free gas from airports. I've heard avgas isn't good for small engines. Using ethanol free gas eliminates carburetor gumming problems during winter storage.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 05/05/2020 18:50:54
Go to Top of Page

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2020 :  18:28:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Edit: Didn't see Steve's post, I think he's got it covered!

I get it too. I've always wondered if it's some kind of mold because it only grows in the dark. Some people think it only forms with ethanol gas but I don't know if that's true either.

It cleans up pretty easy with Prism Polish, which I use to deoxydize the gelcoat in the cockpit.

Making sure your tank vent is closed when not in use should help, which is a good idea anyway.

Good luck.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA

Edited by - keats on 05/05/2020 19:39:14
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5240 Posts

Response Posted - 05/06/2020 :  17:07:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started using Conchrobium a few years back after we had a basement flood. At the time my wife and I called Serv - Pro, ServiceMaster and a few more disaster cleanup places. They were all booked solid for a month.
A very nice person who spoke with my wife said we can’t come out, but here’s what you should do:
1. Remove or pump out all the water - she said Yep
2. Remove all your waterlogged belongings - she said Yep again.
3. Run a dehumidifier and fans - Yep
4. Then go to the Home Center and rent a fogger and buy a jug of conchrobium. Put them together and run it for a while until everything that’s left gets coated. She said we’ll do it.
5. They also said to get a hand spray bottle of conchrobium for anything you missed
You’ll never get any mold or mildew and the stuff is “natural” so it’ll won’t hurt you. She said, “so that’s your secret formula?” They said Yep and a lot of elbow grease.

Now I use it below decks everywhere: in the bilge, behind the drawers, inside the hatches and dumpster. I had never considered it for the black fuel grime in the fuel locker. Thanks - there’s another place I can use it.

First I spray conchrobium on the mildew and scrub with a nylon scrubber, then I spray with Clorox bathroom scrubber with bleach. Finally Fantastic. Tough spots get a little TSP slurry and a big rinse.
Cleans up nice and stays clean for a few weeks.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 05/06/2020 17:13:26
Go to Top of Page

frejoh
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
116 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2020 :  07:56:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FWIW, the soot/grime/stain was also on the outside of the hull, mostly in the vicinity of the fuel locker vent hole. Fortunately, it cleaned up pretty easily with boat wash on a wet microfiber cloth. I'll research this magic Conchrobium; never heard of it before now. Anything to make the job easier; inside the fuel locker is grim.

Fred Johnson
250 WK #669
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 05/11/2020 :  04:35:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clorox tilex mold and mildew cleaner

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - redeye on 05/11/2020 04:44:54
Go to Top of Page

frejoh
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
116 Posts

Response Posted - 05/12/2020 :  06:48:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what ours looks like, only worse. Thanks for the tip and the photos, they really help to confirm the "diagnosis!"

Fred Johnson
250 WK #669
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page