Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Fall sailing in New England
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5232 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/01/2023 :  20:02:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, last week we got flooding rains and chilly temps from the North Atlantic, that’s why today was such a treat! A friend owns a tiki-style catamaran (a wooden Wharram-designed cat named Bright Star in the Polynesian language) that he sails out of a small boatyard in Mystic Harbor. For those familiar with the harbor, it’s well upstream near the Amtrak rail bridge near Mystic Boatworks.
Today started out in the 60°s with some light fog, but the weather forecasted increasing sun and mid-70°s for the afternoon. We set out around mid-morning with NNE winds piping up with gusts between 12 and 16 kts. The catamaran is under-canvased with a gaffed main and 110% jib and because the cat platform is 21 ft long and about 9-1/2 ft wide, it’s incredibly stable even in strong winds. We saw plenty of other sailors as the day ensued, and plenty of anglers too. The bluefish, the tautogs (black bass), striped bass, and false albacore are chasing the alewives (bait fish). There was even a regatta from the New London yacht club.
The boat can make up to 8 kts in these conditions because it’s a planing vessel, not a displacement vessel, so hull speeds are greater than a monohull.
We had lunch in one of the nearby coves in front of a 1500 yard-long white, sandy beach. By the time we started back, the winds and the currents switched in our favor and we sailed most of the way back.
I thought that I happened to see a green and white Eastern 26 powerboat somewhere along the way. Wouldn’t that have been a coincidence!
The rest of the week is looking to be in the higher 70s and low 80s, I hope to get out again on one boat or another….

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2023 :  12:00:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sarge (green Eastern 27) was in her slip up the river--her captain 90 miles away. I don't know a Mystic Boatworks--suspect you mean Mystic Shipyard (the marina). Were you lunching off Sandy Point--a skinny island between Stonington and Watch Hill, or Napatree Point off Watch Hill? I can't think of another 1500 yd. beach between here and the RI Atlantic shore. I envy your being out there, but I'll be there tomorrow.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5232 Posts

Response Posted - 10/04/2023 :  09:37:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, I coulda looked it up - you have a 27 footer. Yea, the Mystic shipyards are in a part of town by the end of Allen St. That’s nearby my buddy’s marina. There’s a Bed and Breakfast across the cove that has just added a glass-lined houseboat. It’s definitely a show, but that’s another story!
Sunday’s weather was glorious and winds were strong. Round trip was probably 10-12 miles in all.
Then on Monday afternoon, back on Passage, the winds had passed and the seas were flat. The currents at the mouth of the Housatonic River were very lively. This brought out the baitfish and of course chasing them were the toothy bluefish, big fat striped bass, black bass, and humongous false albacore.
I have an 8 ft saltwater rig with 12 pound line on it, and I got a few nibbles and a huge strike! But the fish proved too much for my line and my abilities, so the leader snapped. It was a lot of fun while it lasted!

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5232 Posts

Response Posted - 11/03/2023 :  15:06:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So this is the end of the line for me this year, Passage will return to their winter storage. A friend is joining me and we’re hoping for a mild day with sun and cloud and 60° temps with no wind. Beats snow flurries!
Projects for this winter include sail cleaning and repairs (genny leach needs new threads) and planning on a 2nd reef point in the main. Drop the mast to check the fittings, lights and windex. And of course toss the accumulated debris.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page