Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Windvane self-steering
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5232 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/13/2024 :  13:10:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A classic type of sailboat self-steering mechanism is based on a windvane or paddle that’s mounted above the stern of the boat that’s affected by the apparent wind by pushing it on one side or the other. The paddle is connected through a linkage that turns a small rudder trailing in the water next to the transom to apply some steering force. This force, in turn, will steer the boat so that the wind will pass the wind vane straight on and stop applying any force. A little while later, if the boat goes off course, the wind vane will again deflect, and apply the correction to the small rudder, thus re-establish the boat to the chosen course.

I’ve never seen one of these gizmos in action in the flesh. I have seen them attached to boats in the mooring fields or on the slip, but I hear they work very well in 5-20 knots of wind. Not so great in light winds conditions.

Does anybody here have any experience with these things?

I’ve seen auto-tillers that are magnetically sensed and steered with an electric motor tied to the tiller, and I’ve used tiller-tamer type gizmos. My favorite is a piece of line tied to my aft cleats and the tiller handle.

But I’m really interested in learning more about wind vane steering for longer duration trips where I can spend less time steering and more time doing other things, like having lunch, drinking coffee, fishing, or just staring out at the beautiful scenery.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5232 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2024 :  13:13:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here’s a pretty good article about the topic. From Yachting Monthly magazine
Has a few explanatory photos.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2024 :  14:41:58  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage  Reply with Quote
See the following YouTube links. This is a 3 part series for the building of a wind vane. This guy has his own design and sells plans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA7OdsZOccw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy1bFrtAgZ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZMS1YfXbTI

I have bought the plans. Thought I might get around to building one of these some day.

David Crosby "Small World"
'02 C250 WK #614

Edited by - DavidCrosby on 02/13/2024 14:43:32
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5232 Posts

Response Posted - 02/14/2024 :  17:54:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks David, the YT links were helpful. I’ll look into a few alternatives.
I’ve also seen some examples of using main sheets connected to the tiller.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page