Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Cabin aft wall
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Greemo
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
5 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/04/2024 :  15:37:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello friends:

We are wanting to get some wires passed from the battery to the cockpit, and in order to reach the opening back by the outboard I’m thinking about taking off the aft wall of the cabin (the wall that separates the aft berth from the very back of the hull.) It looks like I can take it off by unscrewing it, but before I do I wanted to make sure removing it temporarily wouldn’t cause any structural strain to the cockpit sole and anything else that that wall may be supporting. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Kostis
Santa Barbara, CA

Kostis and Christina
Sparrow
Santa Barbara, CA

Ellen254
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
12 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2024 :  16:28:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took that wall out recently to try to hunt down a leak, and I don’t believe it is holding anything up. It’s more or less a decorative panel. I did have to unscrew some of the teak molding along the back of the head in order to take down the side panel which was necessary to wiggle the larger panel out (maybe it wasn’t necessary but it definitely made it easier to get out). While I had it down, I took the opportunity to replace the vinyl trim that was stapled around the edge of it and now it looks good as new!

2004 C250WK #750 Waco, TX
"Ba-de-ya"
Go to Top of Page

alippold
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
23 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2024 :  04:09:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took that panel off years ago and have never put it back up. (I keep it in my garage.) I disconnect and remove the battery during winter storage so need to get to the battery area at least every fall and spring. I mostly day sail or cruise single handed so am just using the aft berth for storage. I don't care about the decorative benefits of the panel. Opening up that area gives some extra storage space.

I had to run a new electric cable from the battery to the panel some years back. It it pretty easy to fish a cable through on the starboard side just above where the top liner meets the hull.

Amber Waves
Go to Top of Page

Greemo
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
5 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2024 :  07:07:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, everyone.

Kostis and Christina
Sparrow
Santa Barbara, CA
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page