Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Personal locater beacon
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Member Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/16/2014 :  08:46:47  Show Profile
I watched the tv show that recounted the attempt by four guys to row from Africa to Florida, and they each had an ACR personal locater beacon similar to this one. They currently cost about $269. at WM, which is alot cheaper than a big EPIRB, and, when they were switched on, they emitted a distress signal that immediately got the attention and assistance of the Coast Guard. It sounds like a good, lower cost alternative. Does anyone here know anything more about them, either positive or negative? The main difference that I have found so far is that the signal transmits for 24 hours, while the larger EPIRB transmits for 48 hours.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - on

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 04/16/2014 :  12:26:24  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Quote from Practical Sailor

<i><font face="Arial"><font color="navy">The August 2012 issue Practical Sailor examined how the introduction of satellite emergency notification devices (SENDs) like the SPOT was blurring the line between multi-function satellite communication devices and those designed exclusively for distress signaling—such as 406-MHz Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRBs) and Personal Locator Beacons (PLBs). In the October issue of Practical Sailor, we will take a look at the design implications when a 406-MHz PLB, the AquaLink View 406-MHz GPS from ACR, enables expanded services for paid subscribers, including a very SPOT-like ability to send canned text (SMS) messages and location maps to multiple cell phone or email addresses.</font id="navy"></font id="Arial"></i>

We have the original SPOT device and pay the Annual Service Fee.

For our use, it is ideal, affordable and most importantly we use it every trip.

The use it every trip is an important issue for us. I'm in the Alarm Business, and know how many folks don't use their alarm or test it regularly only to find out there is a problem when they need to use it. So the feature where we can use the SPOT every trip effectively provides a no issue test feature.

Add to it that we can track our journey via the Spot site and download the gps data to our PC just adds to it.

If I were going across the ocean, we would certainly spring for the full EPIRB.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 04/16/2014 :  14:25:00  Show Profile
We carry the ACR Aqualink View:

Since I have two boats, a powerboat, in addition to my C25, we carry this model in a ditch bag. Bring it on which ever boat we are going out on. I like that fact that you can test the unit and see the digital output. Also gives GPS LAT/LON. Claims 30 hours typical battery life after activation.

http://www.acrartex.com/products/catalog/personal-locator-beacons/aqualink-view-plb/#tab-specs

Edited by - Davy J on 04/16/2014 14:38:46
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/16/2014 :  15:34:47  Show Profile
I'm considering it too. I don't need an EPIRB for coastal trips when PLBs are available. Ocean Signal's RescueMe is another one... It's gotten to the point of "Why the hell not?"!

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/16/2014 15:38:15
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 04/16/2014 :  16:58:19  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stinkpotter</i>
<br />I'm considering it too. I don't need an EPIRB for coastal trips when PLBs are available. Ocean Signal's RescueMe is another one... It's gotten to the point of "Why the hell not?"!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Yeah, plbs are small and affordable. That Ocean Signal is really tiny, and I like its strobe light. The ACRs don't seem to have that. I'm not sure I like the size being that small, though. It might be easy to drop it and lose it, perhaps over the side. If it's a bit larger, it might be easier to grip with my fat, clumsy fingers. As far as I can tell, you don't need to subscribe to a monthly service with a plb, as long as you only use it to radio your position and call for help in an emergency, unless you opt for one of the optional services.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/16/2014 :  20:11:28  Show Profile
The ResQLink has a strobe. I'd get the "+" version that floats. The Ocean Signal is a nice size to keep clipped to your inflatable PFD. (I assume you always wear your inflatable PFD... )

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 04/16/2014 :  20:16:43  Show Profile
Just curious, do any of you think these are necessary for for coastal waters, or would a handheld VHF with DSC be sufficient? Properly configured (with MMSI registered), the DSC distress button would issue a mayday with GPS coordinates, plus the possibility of voice follow-up, with no licensing fee or subscription for US-only use.

I realize the need for PLB/EPIRB for offshore, but in coastal waters wouldn't that be overkill?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 04/17/2014 :  03:37:51  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I realize the need for PLB/EPIRB for offshore, but in coastal waters wouldn't that be overkill?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

A handheld VHF with DSC might work.

You may not have heard of this story, but about five years ago three NFL football players left out of Clearwater Pass in a 21' center console. They made numerous mistakes, but long story short, the boat capsized, making the onboard VHF useless, two died, the third survived clinging to the up side down outboard. Rescued almost three days later, the boat had drifted almost 64 miles off shore. If they had a PLB or Epirb, they would have been rescued in a few hours, if that.

There is no subscription fee for PLB's you just need to register it with NOAA and renew the registration every two years. I think that with the price of a few hundred dollars they are worth every penny, especially if the water where you sail is cold.

Edited by - Davy J on 04/17/2014 03:52:11
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 04/17/2014 :  03:50:58  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">You may not have heard of this story, but about five years ago three NFL football players left out of Clearwater Pass in a 21' center console. They made numerous mistakes, but long story short, the boat capsized, making the VHF useless, two died, the third survived clinging to the up side down outboard. Rescued almost three days later, the boat had drifted almost 64 miles off shore. If they had a PLB or Epirb, they would have been rescued in a few hours, if that.

There is no subscription fee for PLB's you just need to register it with NOAA and renew the registration every two years. I think that with the price of a few hundred dollars they are worth every penny, especially if the water where you sail is cold.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Useful information, but why would a handheld VHF/DSC unit attached to you be made useless in a capsize? They are waterproof, and they float. Are you saying that his handheld VHF failed?

Edited by - TakeFive on 04/17/2014 03:51:23
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 04/17/2014 :  04:55:52  Show Profile
I think a handheld vhf would work ok, but I have the impression that a plb has more broadcast range, because they use satellites to relay your location data. If you were in a heavily traveled area, a handheld would be good, but a handheld vhf is designed for transmitting over a short distance, and areas like the southern Chesapeake Bay appear isolated, especially at night and on weekdays. The value of a plb depends on where you sail. Also, a handheld vhf isn't always attached to you. Sometimes it's lying on a cockpit seat or in a coaming pocket. A dedicated device like a plb should <u>always</u> be attached to your pfb, because it has no other use. If you go overboard, the plb will go with you.

Dave, I always wear my inflatable pfb when singlehanding or in bad weather. I don't wear it when sailing in fair weather with crew who are capable of handling the boat if I go overboard. Based on my scuba training, I know I can easily float unaided for more than an hour, so I'm generally ok as long as I'm conscious. I once had race crew who didn't know how to swim, and he wore a pfd at all times. We all make choices that we believe are reasonable.

Edited by - Steve Milby on 04/17/2014 05:05:42
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 04/17/2014 :  05:25:38  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Are you saying that his handheld VHF failed?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
You must have posted that before I had a chance to edit my post. The onboard VHF was useless because the boat was upside down.

Some reasons I think a PLB or Epirb is better. Some PLB and most Epirbs will automatically send a distress signal if they become submerged. They, like Steve pointed out, use satellites as opposed to line of sight communication. They will continue to send the signal even if you become unable to communicate or unconscious. Once the signal is received, there is no question of what comes next, they start searching. I think the price has become reasonable enough, that there is no reason not to have one.

Having said that, I also carry a handheld VHF and portable handheld GPS in the ditch bag. Might as well have all the bases covered....

Edited by - Davy J on 04/17/2014 05:29:10
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/17/2014 :  07:12:12  Show Profile
The PLB does another thing a VHF does not: it transmits a locator signal that a USCG vessel can home in on to assist in locating you. That signal is separate from the one that is relayed via satellite giving your identification and coordinates.

While EPIRBs will activate when immersed, I'm not aware of PLBs that do that. On the ones I've seen, you push and hold a button, similarly to activating the DSC Mayday function on a VHF. Each PLB I've seen also has a strobe.

The VHF has the advantage of alerting other non-USCG boats and local responders around you. Along the US Coasts, I think the USCG is able to receive DSC signals from many miles out. On the Chesapeake, I doubt there are any dead spots, even for a handheld. So I guess the question is whether the VHF will be with you, whatever happens...

I have a handheld VHF (no DSC) in my floating ditch bag, and my GPS can be instantly removed from the helm, is waterproof, and has a battery. But a PLB clipped to my PFD seems like something I could forever regret not having spent $260 for. In cold Atlantic waters, even near shore, every second counts.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/17/2014 07:21:43
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 04/17/2014 :  15:29:22  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Good points Rick.

Even though we sail mostly in Biscayne bay, can't get lost, and if the boat sank it would sit on the bottom with the mast sticking out of the water if not the cabin top. We still enjoy the comfort of knowing that our friends and family know where we are.

We typically turn the Spot on while the boat is at the dock after splashing and turn it off when we are washing the boat down after return. We'll send "We're OK" signals each day that get delivered to the emails of our selected friends and family.

So for us, the Spot works really well.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 04/18/2014 :  05:59:13  Show Profile
This is all good advice. When it comes to safety gear, more is always better, so with PLB prices coming down and not requiring an annual subscription, I'll put it on my long-term shopping list for some future day when I might be sailing in more open waters and/or singlehanding more frequently.

I guess my main point is that with handheld VHF/DSC devices also plummeting in price (I picked up two last November for $125 each - one for me and one for my son), it really makes sense to buy the DSC option with any handheld. Just be sure to register for an MMSI.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2014 :  11:47:37  Show Profile
Noodling on this some more, I'm leaning toward something like [url="http://www.westmarine.com/handheld-vhf-radios/standard-horizon--hx851-floating-handheld-vhf-with-built-in-gps--11029907"]Standard Horizon's HX851 handheld VHF[/url] clipped to my vest or my ditch bag. It has GPS, DSC, distress signaling, 6W transmit, boyancy, water-activated strobe, 12 and 120V charging, and other stuff. My thinking is (1) I'll be in coastal waters within range of the highly sensitive USCG towers, and (2) it will also signal anyone around with a DSC VHF, as well as call any conventional VHF in the area.

My fixed radio has DSC, but (1) if I have an electrical fire, I'll be cutting the battery power before I figure out exactly what's happening, and (2) if I'm in the water, I won't have it.

I have a 15-year-old handheld, but it might be time.....

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2014 :  13:01:59  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stinkpotter</i>
<br />Noodling on this some more, I'm leaning toward something like [url="http://www.westmarine.com/handheld-vhf-radios/standard-horizon--hx851-floating-handheld-vhf-with-built-in-gps--11029907"]Standard Horizon's HX851 handheld VHF[/url] clipped to my vest or my ditch bag. It has GPS, DSC, distress signaling, 6W transmit, boyancy, water-activated strobe, 12 and 120V charging, and other stuff. My thinking is (1) I'll be in coastal waters within range of the highly sensitive USCG towers, and (2) it will also signal anyone around with a DSC VHF, as well as call any conventional VHF in the area.

My fixed radio has DSC, but (1) if I have an electrical fire, I'll be cutting the battery power before I figure out exactly what's happening, and (2) if I'm in the water, I won't have it.

I have a 15-year-old handheld, but it might be time.....
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Sounds like you're coming around to my way of thinking.

I know some people swear by Standard Horizon, but Uniden has a similar model for as little as half the price. I grabbed two of them (second one for my son in Seattle) last November for $125 each. Keep an eye on the price history:

A few comments:

The Uniden comes with a separate speaker/mic option, which allows you to keep the radio attached to your PFD or belt while you use it.

The Uniden also comes with an emergency AA battery tray, although its power is not as high with that. But it's another option if it's a last resort.

The Amazon reviews mention audio problems due to dropouts. That's caused by DSC scanning. Turning off that feature fixes the audio problem, yet you can still transmit DSC hails ("distress button") with the feature turned off. Let your fixed VHF do the DSC scanning for you.

The latest version of Uniden's radio may have a dual-receiver which does the DSC scanning without the radio dropouts. I opted to forego that feature for a backup radio at lower cost.

West Marine's current radios appear to be made by Uniden.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page