Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Another Keel Drop
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/06/2017 :  12:33:28  Show Profile
I always hate seeing these because it reminds you of the inherent risks that go along with the swing keel configuration, but if anyone needs a free Catalina 25...

https://annapolis.craigslist.org/bod/d/free-25-catalina-sailboat/6333719271.html

I just spoke with the guy because i was thinking about buying his sail and/or furler setup. Turns out he is in some sort of boat flipping business and doesn't have much info into the specifics of the sail besides that the previous owner said the sail was in great shape when she bought it used a few years ago. Decided to pass figuring i already got relatively lucky with my furler purchase and I shouldn't push my luck. Besides, I want a new sail anyway. I'm spoiled with both my new rags and it would be hard to go back to an older sail. Plus i didn't want to go down to the yard and unfurl a strangers boat while on the hard risking a land capsize.

Sounded like he was willing to wheel and deal though if anyone needs parts.

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/06/2017 :  13:46:06  Show Profile
Have I mentioned that I love my wing keel?

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 10/06/2017 :  14:33:18  Show Profile
Maintenance

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/07/2017 :  07:39:02  Show Profile
Like the song goes, "Walk on by.... , you better just walk on by."

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 10/07/2017 :  10:13:46  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
The fiberglass damage is repairable, but the rest of the boat looks like it has not been well maintained. All of the standing and running rigging would be due to be replaced. There was no mention of a motor, and it looks like a fixed mount. The saloon seatcushions look nice, but the V-berth cushion has the original covering and the quarter-berth cushion seems to be missing. And this is all in addition to needing to replace the keel winch and cable. Once this is all done you're left with a basic '79. So, if someone is looking for a hobby that they would be able to sail - someday - they could probably negotiate an even lower price (not to save any significant money, but to feel a little better about what you've just gotten yourself into!). But I'd hate to see this one scrapped-out, because it really could be saved. 'Course it's easy for me to say that 'cause I'm too far away to even be tempted.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page