Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 February Sail
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/01/2024 :  15:32:50  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nothing dramatic but temps hit 55F in Northern Virginia today. Winds about 5-7mph and river temp was about 40F. I only saw two in the marina squaring away a main sail while in their slip - They did not go out. Only 2 motor boats out on the water and a few helicopters taking off and landing at Quantico Marine Base. One of those nice days to just go out for a couple of hours.

By the way, outboard started on the 2nd try, then conked out but restarted after that and ran fine. During winter months, if I do not go out sailing, I usually get down there every 2-3 weeks to run the outboard for perhaps....10 minutes or so. That seems to keep it running okay until Springtime. Had this Honda 9.9 since January 2006 - Only had some hiccups about 5 years ago when I had the carburetor replaced/overhauled but still had issues until it was then ultrasonically cleaned. Fine since then.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 02/01/2024 :  16:48:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, It's nice that you could steal a day. I'm usually down by my harbor 3-4 times a week and there has been a few times this milder winter that if my boat was in the water it was doable. Good for you!

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 02/01/2024 :  21:34:24  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Scott, I moved down to Northern VA back in 1985. Before that, I lived on Long Island and first sailed on the South Shore out of Lindenhurst and Amityville (Amityville Horror House was just down the road). Then when I bought a 1980 ODay 25, I was sailing out of Huntington Harbor on the North Shore. I recall pulling one or two overnighters in the Oyster Bay Sand Hole (just as you enter Oyster Bay from the Long Island Sound. I suspect you have been there as well as that is next bay/inlet east of Glen Cove.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2024 :  17:40:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here in the mid-Atlantic and NorthEast, we’ve been enjoying a perfect El Niño winter. I decided to haul Passage in November, while I had my doubts, I thought we might get some river ice. So far, I would’ve been better off to keep it in the marina this year. Same cost either way.
I’ve been working on the boat all season. Replacing cushions, cleaning out storage, checking rigging. Maybe next year

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2024 :  21:32:58  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah - This winter, there have been seasonally cold nights but have had quite a number of decent daytime temps ranging from the mid 40s into the 60s, I may go out again either this Thursday when temps should reach mid 50s or on Thursday when temps anticipated to hit 60F. Winds both days predicted to be 7-8 mph.

Larry
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page