Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Fixed Motor Bracket - Advantages/Disadvantages?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

crystal_blue
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
58 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/19/2024 :  09:46:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My new-to-me 1996 C250WB came with a Yamaha 8 motor with power lift and electric start. It's mounted on the transom; but because the motor well wasn't deep enough on the '96 to accommodate the Yamaha's clamp/flanges, a PO had used a length of 2x2 to shim the motor up a bit. A couple of disadvantages to the current arrangement are making me think about getting a fixed bracket:

--Because of the fuel locker and the motor tiller, the motor can't be used to turn to starboard at all. I've had to learn to maneuver keeping the motor centered, using just the rudder and prop walk.
--The motor, over the season, apparently wasn't mounted tightly enough (even though I thought I had the clamps as tight as they'd go and would periodically check for loosening). When I removed the motor at the end of the season, I saw that it had been vibrating enough to wear through the gelcoat at various contact points on the hull.
--On one rough-ish evening trip on Bear Lake, the motor actually lifted up a couple of inches and the shim began to slide out. It got re-wedged at a weird angle, leaving the motor askew until we could get back to the boat ramp and re-mount it.

I'm thinking about installing a fixed motor bracket; but I can see a square of four filled holes in the transom that leads me to believe that there used to be a motor bracket there which a previous owner removed. (There's also a suspicious gouge in my rudder which looks like it may have been caused by the prop of a motor sitting on a motor bracket--maybe that's why the bracket was removed? When mounted on the transom, my prop is never in danger of hitting my rudder.)

I'm weighing two possibilities:
--Buy and install a new motor mount (but I'm not loving the cost, or the idea of an extra 90-100 lbs hanging off my transom while trailering); or
--Laminate some HDPE to make a permanent shim for the motor to sit on, epoxy it into place on the top of the transom; and then bolt a sacrificial piece of HDPE onto the vertical surface of the transom for the motor to wear against (cheaper and easier, but doesn't give me any maneuverability--I would hope it would be more secure, as long as the epoxy holds?).

Any thoughts/suggestions as to which would be the preferable option?

Thanks--

Jim and Crystal Smith
Lehi, Utah
1996 Catalina 250 WB #191 "Mariah"

Edited by - crystal_blue on 03/19/2024 09:50:14

SailAway
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
46 Posts

Response Posted - 03/19/2024 :  12:18:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have what I assume is the motor bracket extension listed on Catalina Direct. It works great! It provides plenty of clearance to swivel my Honda 9.9 as much as 90 degrees in each direction for maneuvering in and out of the marina. I generally turn the motor and use the rudder simultaneously. There is also enough clearance that there is no chance of hitting the rudder. The only draw back is it is a bit of a reach to grab the back of the motor to tilt it up and out of the water when sailing. I don't have any issues tilting it up but there is no way my wife could do it. David Crosby on this forum recently installed a power lift on his C250 WK and he is still able to swivel his Honda 9.9 motor like I do. I'm not sure what brand the lift is.

Greg Franklin
2002 C250 WB #649
Carlyle, IL
Go to Top of Page

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Response Posted - 03/19/2024 :  18:01:16  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim,

Regarding the bracket extension that Greg is mentioning in his response, I had responded to your December "Maneuvering Question" post.

I will repost the picture of the mount. I have decided that I would be willing to part with it. As mentioned I removed the white starboard board from the mount and used that to pad out my electric lift. So, you would need to add a board to this mount.

If interested, I will offer it to you for $75 and you cover the cost of shipping.

David Crosby "Small World"
'02 C250 WK #614
Go to Top of Page

crystal_blue
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
58 Posts

Response Posted - 03/19/2024 :  22:29:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, many thanks for the input; and David, many thanks for the kind offer! I will PM you in the next day or two.

Jim and Crystal Smith
Lehi, Utah
1996 Catalina 250 WB #191 "Mariah"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page