Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Proper cruise wear
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/02/2018 :  18:34:49  Show Profile
I realize that all us yachts-people are only the most sophisticated people, but with our current heat-wave weather here in the northeast, I’ve noticed that the boatwear and beachwear is becoming skimpier and skimpier.

I recall sailors in the past wearing white button-down shirts, yar shorts with a press and lots of pockets and a nautical-themed belt. Boat shoes and often a white captains hat and maybe some sailing gloves. That may have been a bit over the top.

Today I saw a sailing crewe where the men were all in black speedo shorts (half thigh) and white tank tops and the ladies in dental floss bikinis sunning on the foredeck. They were all wearing water shoes.

Me, I was wearing black nylon swim trunks and a golf shirt plus my Tilley Hat. Sometimes I like wearing a long sleeve collar shirt to protect from sunburn.
I had my Sperry dock shoes on.

Am I the weird-o? What’s your sailing outfit?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 07/02/2018 18:39:03

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 07/03/2018 :  03:54:31  Show Profile
When I expect to be in the sun all day, I wear a long-sleeve tech shirt, light-weight convertible pants (the lower legs can be removed by a zipper) and a hat with a piece of fabric on the back that shields the neck and ears from the sun. I only need a little sunscreen on the face for complete sun protection.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 07/03/2018 :  06:32:16  Show Profile
Steve, I like the idea of the fabric on the back of the hat. Is that like a bandana or something? Do you Velcro it to the hat?

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 07/03/2018 :  07:00:52  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

Steve, I like the idea of the fabric on the back of the hat. Is that like a bandana or something? Do you Velcro it to the hat?

They're made that way. WM sells them for about $30. I bought mine at an Army-Navy surplus store for under $10.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/03/2018 :  07:16:59  Show Profile
I prefer a white linen shirt, tropical wool navy blue blazer with NYYC crest, Nantucket red shorts, cognac Sperry Gold Cup shoes, and, of course...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

JB
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
110 Posts

Response Posted - 07/03/2018 :  07:18:07  Show Profile
and a PFD.

1988 C25 Wing Keel Std Rig Tohatsu 9.9 Tiller Steering and 2003 C250 Wing Keel Std Rig Inboard Diesel Wheel Steering
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 07/03/2018 :  08:38:32  Show Profile
Light blue cotton chambray shirts, like the navy"s work uniform are SPF 30-40 and it doesn't wash out like many of the tech products. I also read about a laundry additive, Sunguard, that provides an additional protection and lasts through a couple of dozen washings. The experts say that the whitening agents in laundry detergents actively increase SPF to 40 or more in 20 -30 washings, so old cotton shirts are great. Sunguard appears to be a tweaked whitener molecule that accomplishes the same thing in one washing. I have one tech shirt, but find cotton much cooler. Nano zinc on the nose, my white nose surfer days in SoCal are decades behind me, Tilley and shorts.

edit: Not all sunblocks have marked expiration dates, but they are unstable and should be discarded after a year except zinc oxide. The lot code can be deciphered online to get the manufactured date but buying dated ones is easier. Mark the container with the date of first opening.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

Edited by - Dave5041 on 07/03/2018 08:47:11
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 07/03/2018 :  12:00:27  Show Profile
Based on my sunburn from being out sailing for six hours yesterday, I clearly am not the person to advise on this subject!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/03/2018 :  21:06:39  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bigelowp

Based on my sunburn from being out sailing for six hours yesterday, I clearly am not the person to advise on this subject!
Lucky you! Lots of haze, humidity, clouds and fog here until I'm back in your gold-coast neighborhood (90 miles away from me) on a much nicer weekend, wishing I was out on the water. Yup--life is tough...

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 07/04/2018 :  11:08:35  Show Profile
Happy 4th Dave, hope to see you under the fireworks in that familiar neighborhood!

Peter Bigelow
Rowayton, Ct
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 07/05/2018 :  05:27:55  Show Profile
Wow! We had some hellacious fireworks here in Milford's Silver Sands beach area.
Apparently several neighborhood beach associations: Ft Trumbull, Laurel, Walnut, Woodmont and a few others had been permitted for fireworks displays so when my wife, daughter, a friend and I went out, we had no idea what we had in store for us.

After dinner we lingered in the harbor under a beautiful sunset with Venus showing up in the evening glow. As we started back into the slip, all hell broke loose!

Ka-boom! Another flash and report. And another all up and down the beach. We dropped anchor expecting a random show of individuals sending up cheap skyrockets and aerial bombs.

Next thing we knew there were three competing organized fireworks going off simultaneously. Then Woodmont joined in over our right shoulder. Then Laurel Beach way down to the left.

This went on for at least 45 minutes with ebbs and flows, but we were all dumbstruck by the intensity and beauty of the patterns, the sheer volume and the variety.

Way better than most municipal fireworks displays that can often be lackluster (well, excepting NYC, Boston and DC).

Absolutely fabulous and completely free (to me at least).

Only in America!

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 07/05/2018 05:33:46
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 07/05/2018 :  08:41:41  Show Profile
- Long sleeves and long pants (to avoid sunburn & skin cancer)
- A floppy hat
- Sunscreen on hands and face
- White sneakers with white soles
- Sunglasses

None of the sunburn protection was needed last night, and the whole family enjoyed our July 4th celebration on the boat.
- Motored and anchored off Dobbins Island
- Drinks and snacks
- Temps low 90's, NE breeze 10kt

We had a great view of dozens of displays from lawns and docks all around the Magothy River, including the big skyrockets from Rock Hall across the Chesapeake Bay which we could see up in the sky over Gibson Island. The City of Annapolis must have had fireworks another day, since their big skyrockets were not part of the show.

Fun way to have a family outing!

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page

Carl in LA
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Response Posted - 07/05/2018 :  09:43:47  Show Profile
Well... you can always go formal...

quote:

I realize that all us yachts-people are only the most sophisticated people, but with our current heat-wave weather here in the northeast, I’ve noticed that the boatwear and beachwear is becoming skimpier and skimpier.

I recall sailors in the past wearing white button-down shirts, yar shorts with a press and lots of pockets and a nautical-themed belt. Boat shoes and often a white captains hat and maybe some sailing gloves. That may have been a bit over the top.

Today I saw a sailing crewe where the men were all in black speedo shorts (half thigh) and white tank tops and the ladies in dental floss bikinis sunning on the foredeck. They were all wearing water shoes.

Me, I was wearing black nylon swim trunks and a golf shirt plus my Tilley Hat. Sometimes I like wearing a long sleeve collar shirt to protect from sunburn.
I had my Sperry dock shoes on.

Am I the weird-o? What’s your sailing outfit?

Catalina 250 - Pretty Good Boat
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 07/05/2018 :  11:36:22  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:

Am I the weird-o?

Nah, just old

If I could rock the skin tight look, I'd definitely do it, but no one wants to see me in that condition!

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 07/05/2018 :  21:29:20  Show Profile
Todd, you nailed it.

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 07/05/2018 21:29:45
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 07/06/2018 :  18:40:56  Show Profile
JOHNP -- long sleeves are fine but rest assured, you at this stage need not worry about cancer. My dermatologist keeps telling me that my current skin cancer issues are all from 30+ years ago, when I never used sun screen and was on the water all the time, sun burned most of the time, etc. Sooo . . . . , I tell the good Dr thank you, you confirm that continuing my bad behavior of getting sunburned, at this point in my life, will not impact me as I will not be around in 30+ years. My Dr does not like my "attitude"

Peter Bigelow
Rowayton, Ct
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 07/08/2018 :  07:59:50  Show Profile
That's an interesting theory, but my dad lived to 90, my grandfather 96 and grandmother 92. If this is any indication, I still have quite a few miles left so I'm not going to bet against myself. Long sleeves, high collar, a wide brimmed hat and titanium dioxide seem like cheap insurance.

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 07/08/2018 08:01:22
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 07/08/2018 :  13:22:46  Show Profile
Yay - a haberdashery thread! When sailing in summer during the day, I dress like Bruce and Dave, but bikini girls on board seems like a good idea.

When sailing in the heat of a summer day, I usually wear a white long-sleeve linen shirt, white, bright or embroidered shorts, Sperry's without socks, nautical flag or cotton-webbing belt, and various hats. After dark in the heat, I dump the hat and go to short-sleeves like a mesh polo. In cooler weather, I go to cotton long-sleeves, white or bright-colored pants, and wild socks.

The only time I can bring myself to wear a Captain's hat is when sailing a dinghy in swim trunks. I only wear the navy blazer for our club's Recommissioning event in the spring.

I don't like gloves, but put dry stick sunscreen on the backs of my hands.

I've also been growing a beard to get on the cover of Homeless Sea Captain Monthly.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/

Edited by - sethp001 on 07/08/2018 13:31:14
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 07/09/2018 :  09:55:01  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Always wearing my Tilley hat. In the colder months, I have a close fitting beany cap that covers the ears and I wear that under my Tilley hat. If it is hot outside, always have shorts on usually dark colored - Doesn't show the stains, etc. If after work and not too hot, I prefer wearing convertible pants with pant legs on - avoiding sunscreen on legs. I always wear my sailing gloves, the rattier looking , the better. Hot outside, I usually wear a nautical type t-shirt or a West Marine or similar collared cotton knit shirt. Light rain jacket if on the cool side or winter jacket if cold.

Always see those out there, sometimes with no shirt when I have a t-shirt and a jacket on.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 07/14/2018 :  16:45:32  Show Profile
I, too, wear my Tilley (one of three I have) but the sun still gets through!

Peter Bigelow
Rowayton, Ct

Edited by - bigelowp on 07/15/2018 05:41:10
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 07/14/2018 :  20:07:59  Show Profile
You might want to get a bandana. I have one that’s red, blue and gold. Keeps the sun off your ears and neck. Try wearing a collar shirt - either a golf shirt or longsleeve polo.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 07/15/2018 :  05:47:24  Show Profile
Have at times done used all the combinations and permutations so far listed. However my preference is to be in the sun! Yes, I use tons of sun block refreshing often, and on long runs will pull out the Tilley and wear sailing rash guard. However, typically it's shorts, polo if any shirt and good sun glasses.

Peter Bigelow
Rowayton, Ct
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 07/15/2018 :  11:04:31  Show Profile
quote:

You might want to get a bandana. I have one that’s red, blue and gold. Keeps the sun off your ears and neck. Try wearing a collar shirt - either a golf shirt or longsleeve polo.

When the sun is on my neck, I pop my collar like it's 1982.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/15/2018 :  20:01:13  Show Profile
Actually, I'm also a long-time Tilley broad-brimmed wearer. I finally sent my roughly 40-year Tilley back--it had completely given out in two areas--and got a spanking-new replacement for the $10 (or whatever) shipping. I miss the original... the patina and history had some value, but eventually......... The new one should last for the duration.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page