Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 2 main halyards?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AlMo
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/31/2018 :  10:57:42  Show Profile
Or at least they both go aft with the shackle aft of mast. One is wire/line, the other all line. Set of double (stacked) pulleys on the port side. None of the drawings I have seen show the second one?

1978 C25 "X Lives" #1035
SR/SK

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/31/2018 :  11:44:57  Show Profile
How does this halyard lead at the top of the mast? Do you also have (1) a halyard with the shackle on the forward side of the mast, and/or (2) a topping lift? If this is a third "halyard" using a block on a clevis pin at the aft end of the mast-head casting, it's probably an adjustable topping lift. If this is one of just two halyards running on the sheaves built into the mast-head casting, it sounds to me like it's running incorrectly.

Do you have a CDI roller furler (which has its own halyard) that leaves the original jib halyard for potential use with a drifter, asymmetric spinnaker, or whatever, but it should still lead to a forward shackle for that purpose. If in that case somebody decided to use that halyard as an adjustable topping lift, they would have the shackle aft, as you see it.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 08/31/2018 11:56:30
Go to Top of Page

AlMo
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Response Posted - 08/31/2018 :  22:09:34  Show Profile
Dave the setup has a topping lift using 5/16 or 1/4" line attached on the aft stbd mast. That is what is confusing me about the second halyard "facing aft." Does a double vertical stack of pulleys leading to clam cleats just fwd of the bulkhead on cabin top make any sense *except* as a Spinaker Halyard (in which case I'd expect to see the shackle for it forward of the mast rather than aft.

Well I guess I have a good way to get barrels of rum or women overboard aboard in any case. And yes, about to install a CDI furler this weekend which as you point out has its own internal halyard, so I'll have at least two "mast protectors" if I leave everything as-is. Maybe it's a puzzle best figured out with the mast down this winter when I can see the mast top and figure out all the extraneous rigging. There was a "custom" furler made out of I think a #8 Folgers can, and it was rigged for sail this season by a "3d party" who could well have put that halyard (assuming it was for a spinaker) on "backwards" ...

1978 C25 "X Lives" #1035
SR/SK
Go to Top of Page

HappyNow
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
99 Posts

Response Posted - 09/01/2018 :  19:54:05  Show Profile
Is it possible that previous owner installed the casting at the top of the mast backwards? That would give you the spinnaker and jib facing aft, and the main facing forward.

Michael Levin
Sailin' on Sunshine
C250 #402 WK
Lake Tahoe
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2018 :  09:59:19  Show Profile
Got any friends with a drone? 2 minutes and you'll be able to see all you need to see.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2018 :  13:52:12  Show Profile
Or a pair of binoculars. Could be a PO used the second halyard to support a sun shade for the cockpit or an anchor riding sail. Sometimes what PO's do will always be a mystery.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 09/02/2018 13:55:28
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page