Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Docking made easy
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2010 :  15:53:40  Show Profile
Charley, sounds like a method that works well for you but, I don't think I'd ever step off a moving boat onto a pier. Too much of a chance to end up in between the two and in the water.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2010 :  15:47:49  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Or with a broken heel like Rita did a few years back. She jumped off onto a pier that was moving up with the swell, landed on the back of her foot & spent the next seven hours or so in the ER, with emergency surgery the following day.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

windsong
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
318 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2010 :  15:59:00  Show Profile
That's terrible about Rita. You know, in my home slip, I actually tell people NOT to help. I sound like a jerk, I know, but I've docked alone so often that it's really safest for everyone and easiest for me if they just let me handle it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2010 :  13:03:47  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
Michael, I am the say way. I have had too many close calls with guests (but none as bad as Rita's) so feel its safer for me to do it plus if I hurt myself, I wont sue myself!
Steve A

Edited by - piseas on 05/04/2010 13:04:22
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2010 :  13:27:24  Show Profile
It's wierd. When people ask if I want help with the boat I always so "no" but my wife says "yes, PLEASE!" Odd.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

watercayman
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Cayman Islands
49 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2010 :  13:58:49  Show Profile
My wife did nearly the same thing as Rita (dock going up while she jumped down) and apparently fractured the arch of her foot. This was on a motor yacht, and not our boat, thank goodness, else I may be doing a lot more solo sailing than I am. To this day, 9 months later, she still has issues with the foot and still hasn't gotten a clear diagnoses - the x-rays aren't conclusive.

She still likes to hop onto the dock, but I've finally convinced her the easiest way to do it is the mid-ships cleat / winch line that I learned about here. Works great for solo, and for safety too!

Edit: We also have a Dock-o-Matic line (thanks Randy!) but since we're just heading into an easy dock and not a slip I find the single mid-ship line so simple and quick that I tend to use it most.

Edited by - watercayman on 05/04/2010 14:02:54
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page