Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Open Wire Steering Conversion Kit
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arlyn Stewart
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
2980 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/14/2008 :  16:29:44  Show Profile  Visit Arlyn Stewart's Homepage
Some of you know that several years ago I designed a conversion from the sheathed cables to open cables for the wheel steered 250s and was asked by several owners to kit the conversion. I responded and have supplied many kits over the last few years to owners of both single cable and two cable systems.

Forgive me if it may seem to someone that this posting should be in the swap section. After consideration, I decided to post it here on the grounds that it is a discussion topic rather than a sales pitch.

My issue is to continue producing the kit or not.

Only two have been shipped this year. I've not advertised in the swap section to sell them as I've no desire to produce them for a profit... my motive from the start was a service to fellow owners who wanted the best helm possible from a 250 and I've made them available mostly only on request only posting their availability a couple of times in past years in the swap section.

Originally when agreeing to kit the conversion, I anticipated that only the early hull numbers with the single cable would desire the conversion and that a year or so of offering would see the demand for the kits end. However, some shortcomings of the two cable system have seen quite a number of owners with newer two cable systems make the conversion. I've shipped 40-50 kits but only two so far this year so demand is off though I've not made any effort to promote them. About one-third of the conversions were supplied for conversion of two cable systems.

Only one owner has contacted me with plans to machine the parts themselves and I don't know if he followed up or how many owners might have taken on the project themselves. My point is, if I stopped producing the kits, they could still be produced by an owner with some effort or by commissioning the machine work done locally though most likely at a cost substantially higher than my offering. What I'm driving at is I've mostly done this as a service to other owners wanting the best in helm and wouldn't be leaving the really desirous high and dry if I stopped kitting but I would be leaving out many who wouldn't commit that kind of effort to the task though I believe the task is a very worthy one because the conversion offers an extreme makeover to the helm of a wheel steered 250.

I'd like to rethink whether to continue to provide the kit. To continue, I'd have to order supplies new whereas in the past I've relied upon scrap yard materials at per pound pricing. The pull/pull kit also requires stainless steel roller chain links and my supply of them last bought on EBay is short and I've only machined parts left for two kits.

Is the kit of continued service value to the 250 community? I know the answer from those who have converted as to the performance but I guess I'm specifically asking and probably should have posted the simple question alone, is most everyone who has the two cable system fairly happy with it?

Arlyn C-250 W/B #224

N/E Texas and Great Lakes
Arlyn's Sailing Site

Edited by - on

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 05/14/2008 :  19:23:33  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Arlyn,
I'm pretty certain that I'll be placing an order before end of August.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 05/15/2008 :  00:44:58  Show Profile
Arlyn,

I bought one of your conversion kits (though indirectly, through this forum) --> [url="http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13428"]Swap Meet[/url]

I have a C250WB with 2 cable steering and 3rd generation rudder.

You posted this as a discussion topic so here's my feedback.
Your design has the following characteristics:
-- Reduces cable friction and improves turning effort.
-- Increases rudder arm leverage and improves helm fatigue.
-- Improves control at greater heel angles.
-- Improves the cable tension adjustment. I have no slack in the wheel and no binding under load.
-- It does not reduce weatherhelm, but makes weatherhelm corrections easier.
-- Somewhat easy to install (about 4 hours or less and I'm pretty slow. I also hate drilling holes in the boat).
-- The end result is I'm glad I upgraded and recommend it to others particularly if you sail in wind above 15-knots.

I also have other observations on reducing weatherhelm, but that's a separate topic.

Thank you for providing this steering upgrade kit.
Russ #793

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jbkayaker
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
299 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2008 :  18:46:39  Show Profile
I am actively shopping for a Cat 250 about 10 years old. If it doesn't have the steering upgrade I will want to purchase one of your kits for sure. In fact if you get down to just one kit and think you will quit producing them please email me and I'll buy it.

Edited by - jbkayaker on 05/17/2008 18:53:59
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2008 :  19:10:18  Show Profile
Arlyn's kit doesn't convert a tiller boat to a wheel boat. It improves what was considered to be a flawed standard sterring system.

Check this out: [url="http://www.stewartfam.net/arlyn/steeringcable.html"]Arlyn's Open Wire steering system[/url]

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Arlyn Stewart
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2980 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2008 :  19:11:13  Show Profile  Visit Arlyn Stewart's Homepage
I'll continue to make the conversion kits available.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2008 :  21:35:34  Show Profile
Arlyn, that is great! I am well into my second season with the C250 and your wealth of knowledge and contributions to the C250 sailing community continue to impress me. Thank you.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

MartinJW
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
241 Posts

Response Posted - 06/18/2008 :  12:16:54  Show Profile
Hello Arlyn,

I'm interested in making this conversion to our 2008 C-250.

#1 How difficult is the installation? Do you have any step-by-step instructions (in addition to the wonderful pictures on your Web page) that I could review? How many hours should I allow for this conversion?

#2 How may I pay you for this? Do you have a Paypal.com account? (This way I could pay you immediately for this.)

#3 Do you offer telephone support - especially for the installation process?

Thanks!

Martin
(Gardnerville, NV 89410)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 06/19/2008 :  23:47:16  Show Profile
Martin, I don't think Arlyn routinely reads the forum. I ordered my kit by e-mailing him.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

windsong
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
318 Posts

Response Posted - 10/30/2009 :  13:47:47  Show Profile
I just installed Arlyn's conversion kit in Windsong. I'm very happy with it. I haven't had it out in a blow yet, but it certainly seems to solve all the problems with the factory steering. Highly recommended! Well done, Arlyn!

Edited by - windsong on 10/30/2009 13:48:23
Go to Top of Page

Arlyn Stewart
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2980 Posts

Response Posted - 11/01/2009 :  06:00:18  Show Profile  Visit Arlyn Stewart's Homepage
Michael, good to see you have the conversion completed.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

windsong
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
318 Posts

Response Posted - 11/01/2009 :  10:28:07  Show Profile
Arlyn, I'll send or post some pictures, though the only thing that would look different from your pictures is that I wound the cable around the outer blocks in the opposite direction. The cable seems to exit the blocks at a slightly better angle that way (it's not parallel as you know, because the rudder arm is slightly lower); and I also reasoned that I may have slightly more mechanical advantage. I redrilled the holes on the two mounting brackets for the outer blocks. At the end of the wheel's throw in each direction, the cable would "groan" as it left the block at a fairly sharp angle. I redrilled the holes in order to change the angle of those two pulleys. Other than that, the kit went together like a dream. No real issues whatsoever. I LOVE the tensioning mechanism. Very clever. Thanks again for solving the only real deficiency of my new boat!

Edited by - windsong on 11/01/2009 10:30:56
Go to Top of Page

Arlyn Stewart
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2980 Posts

Response Posted - 11/01/2009 :  17:20:08  Show Profile  Visit Arlyn Stewart's Homepage
Some have had to raise the rudder arm extension and that is why I've been sending longer 1/2" x 2" bolts for it to allow putting some washers between it and the rudder arm to raise the extension arm to better plane with the sheaves. Thinking about it, I lost my hard drive a while back and had to rewrite all the instructions and may have failed to include that detail. I will check.

As far as winding the sheaves backwards, I'm interesting in seeing a pic of what you did.

Arlyn

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 11/02/2009 :  14:14:10  Show Profile
We had to use about 5 washers to get the rudder arm extension level with the sheeves. WIndsong, I'd like to see photos of your installation. I just don't see how you could route the cables around the outer blocks (aft blocks?) in the opposite direction.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

joelterry
Deckhand

Members Avatar

16 Posts

Response Posted - 11/12/2009 :  06:41:49  Show Profile
I currently ave the two cable system and notice there is a unequal turning radius between sides, I can turn very tight to the starboard and not very tight to the port, does this system help to resolve this type of issue?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

windsong
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
318 Posts

Response Posted - 11/12/2009 :  08:46:51  Show Profile
Your chain is not centered. Probably, it jumped a few sprockets at some point. (Do you recall a popping sound in your steering?) You'll need to remove the compass, then go below and de-tension the steering cables at the rudder arm. Then you can lift the cable, re-center it, and you'll be fine. It's a very easy adjustment.
This will become a regular annoyance if you sail in conditions that produce a lot of windhelm. The open wire steering conversion kit will fix this.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page