Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Rockin on Sunday
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

3474 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/03/2010 :  08:02:53  Show Profile

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - on

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2010 :  08:04:48  Show Profile
Woohooo!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2010 :  08:31:29  Show Profile
I don't think that I'd leave my pop-top up in winds like that - at that angle of heel it acts as an extra heeling force.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

PCP777
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1225 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2010 :  08:35:43  Show Profile
NICE!

Sunday was awesome for us as well, 75 degrees, winds 16 to 22 knts. I actually pulled the main down for a while as we were heeling in excess of 30 degrees and we had kids on board. Overall it was an outstanding day for a sail.

Looks like you're doing some window washing as well.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2010 :  08:59:00  Show Profile
It rocked, but I brought a crappy camera. It's going in the trash. Got to sail among the local Meleges regatta. That was fun to see. Lots of weather this weekend, it was a hoot. Spent 2 nights and days on the boat. Blowin like stink (25 mph) just after I came in on Sunday. Glad I came in. Whitecaps and gusting.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Even Chance
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
393 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2010 :  09:46:29  Show Profile
I'm with Derek. Pop-top up and boarding gate open. Interesting.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2010 :  10:35:15  Show Profile
Yepper.. but it wasn't blowin that hard. I drop the top and reef if it gets over 20. Just a nice windy day. We have so much traffic on the lake that with the top up it is easy to see out when you go below with the tiller tamer at the helm.

And this is a very slow day for a weekend. It was supposto be raining and yucky so most of the powerboats stayed in. You would not believe it on a big weekend. I've got the jib up ( a downhaul at the bottom ) just to be able to see under it, which also adds heel.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

PCP777
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1225 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2010 :  11:46:11  Show Profile
Our lake is crowded too but most of the power boats, except for the big ones, stay on the North side of I-30, which bisects the lake. I actually like sailing up to all the other boats. We have a fleet of Melges as well, which we call the "Melgi" in plural.

Yeah we spent Saturday sailing, slept on the boat Saturday night and sailed until 7PM yesterday. Sunday morning looked cruddy but the gray sky burnt off and it was perfect. Sailed over to the Flying Saucer for lunch. They are now spending one million dollars to redo the docks by the Hilton and open 53 more slips in time for Dallas Race Week. The docks they have now are like a fun house, cheap, unstable and all over the place. Soon we will have two really nice dock up spots.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2010 :  12:17:16  Show Profile
Sweet... so far I've identified only one marina with Margareta's... our Lake is a little behind...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Turk
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
736 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2010 :  12:18:35  Show Profile  Visit Turk's Homepage
Running with the bulls with the pop top open is asking for problems if you ask me. Why invite problems that can happen with you or your kids? Two years ago I was cleaning my 250 getting ready to put in the water and the top fell on the webbing of my hand (That's about 80 lbs.)! I was on land! I tore open the webbing (you could look right in and see the muscles and meat!) and ran off to the emergency room for 9 stitches. S*** happens and it happens when you don't expect it.

It ended up costing me $1000 deductible (as if it already didn't hurt enough) and I lost a little work time.

OK, I'm done.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JudOWNED
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
98 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2010 :  12:29:44  Show Profile  Visit JudOWNED's Homepage
Awesome pix. I need to get better at taking nice action shots on the boat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2010 :  13:22:30  Show Profile
I've got an additional line holding up the pop top. You can see it in the pic. Also I'm 6 ft tall and going below is a head banger with it down. For me it is a calculated risk, but thank you for the heads up, it is always good to understand your risk.

Sorry about your hand. One of mine got crushed one time also. ( not while Sailing )

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

PCP777
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1225 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2010 :  14:02:36  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redeye</i>
<br />I've got an additional line holding up the pop top. You can see it in the pic.<b> Also I'm 6 ft tall and going below is a head banger</b> with it down. For me it is a calculated risk, but thank you for the heads up, it is always good to understand your risk.

Sorry about your hand. One of mine got crushed one time also. ( not while Sailing )
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

That's why you must also have a beer wench on board. Or you can buy the standard Playmate Pal Igloo and you'll find (As I did accidentally) that the cooler is perfect sized to fit in the aft part of the cockpit. That way beverages are in reach regardless of tack and it NEVER slides around or gets in the way. It's like it was made for a C-25. The cooler lid slides open fore and aft which is nice and it keeps ice cold for a couple days.

Here you can see the cooler, loaded and ready for action:

I use the playmate as the on board cooler and then a bigger cooler for food, water and extra beer, Bloody Mary mix etc.

So I only need the beer wench to reload the playmate. Best $20 investment ever.

http://www.amazon.com/IGLOO-CONSUMER-SERVICES-A90031-PLAYMATE/dp/B000GUAG7G/ref=pd_sim_dbs_sg_4#moreAboutThisProduct

Funny, I never go below unless I'm at the dock or hove to. I hadn't really thought about that. Alas, the admiral doesn't normally like to take the helm.

Edited by - PCP777 on 05/03/2010 14:04:14
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2010 :  14:57:27  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PCP777</i>
<br />[quote]

Peter, I'd be afraid of a big wind hitting you one day and that cooler goes flying . . . possibly injuring some precious cargo.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2010 :  04:31:30  Show Profile
AHhh.. the MOD comes through again, and to think I have one of those coolers at home, just sitting there.. Thanks Peter

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2010 :  05:33:37  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> I don't think that I'd leave my pop-top up in winds like that <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

HA! As soon as I saw the pic I knew folks would be talking. You had it braced very nicely.

I sail with my pop top up all the time, there's no risk involved. You just have to use a little common sense. Nice pics!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2010 :  05:43:38  Show Profile
&lt;&lt; there's no risk involved &gt;&gt;

Oh I think there is risk. Kinda like when we usta go Cave Diving. The risk is not just what you can't see happening, but the consequences of what happens when things do go wrong.

If that top came down it would HURT. Especially on a child. I've got a rope on the top holding it open, but posting an image of sailing with it up was not very responsible. Someone else might find it OK to sail with it up and not realize it needs a line ( or Something ) other than that little retainer it came with to hold it up.

Yepper I think I'll pull that image down and put up another one with the pop top down. Something about the responsibility of the press.. as a photographer I've heard it many times.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2010 :  05:50:57  Show Profile
And Now... back to our regularly scheduled PC posting. And Stealth Sailing!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2010 :  06:14:24  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
I disagree. Again, with appropriate steps (reinforced to remain up) there is no danger sailing with the pop top up in most situations. And as far as the pic is concerned, what, you shouldn't post a pic sailing off shore because some one could end up in trouble out there? P-u-lease ........, sailing is dangerous in any manor, take it seriously.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2010 :  08:22:05  Show Profile
Yepper.. but now my hand hurts every time I see the picture.

Talk About Danger... I was asleep Sat night on Lake Lanier and apparently one of the MEGA boats powered out and the waves just about threw everything into the bilge. I wanted the anchorage with the sunset view, but what a wave. I think this weekend I'll motor up and sleep with the mosquitoes.

Talk about Danger....

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

PCP777
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1225 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2010 :  14:35:00  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by OJ</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PCP777</i>
<br />[quote]

Peter, I'd be afraid of a big wind hitting you one day and that cooler goes flying . . . possibly injuring some precious cargo.

Good call, I usually don't have much if anything in it. I do need a better way to secure it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2010 :  06:27:55  Show Profile
http://www.newsherald.com/news/shallow-83565-boat-stuck.html

This is the last boat that boarded me. Looks like they are Rockin too..

Hehehe....

now I wouldn't wish this on my mother, but it is always funny to see. There is a LOT of shallow water down there, thank goodness it is only sand. Best place in the world to run aground, you just get embarrased.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2010 :  06:47:38  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
Well now, even though I disagree with your motive I love the new pic you posted Ray! Makes you wish you were out there! Hope that cloud bank was moving away.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2010 :  07:32:08  Show Profile
I'm trying to post some good images hoping the guys up north will post when it gets so hot I can't sail down here. Sailing on an inland lake is weird, you hafta go out and sail on the storms.

One of my favorite years was when we had all the hurricanes. ( and you guys were shakin in your boots. )

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

PCP777
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1225 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2010 :  12:07:16  Show Profile
I liked your first pic better, under sail.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page