Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Morro Bay, CA
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JimB517
Past Commodore

Member Avatar

USA
3285 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/30/2010 :  17:38:24  Show Profile  Visit JimB517's Homepage
Hey, I've been thinking it might be cool to do a voyage from San Diego to Morro Bay. Its about 300 miles one way. Perhaps no one has ever single handed a Catalina 25 around Point Conception upwind and back. Sometimes known as the "Cape Horn of California".

This would be the route (all upwind):

Mission Bay
Dana Point (50 miles)
Catalina (50 miles)
Santa Cruz Island (70 miles)
Stop at Ventura or Channel Islands Harbor and re-supply (25 miles)
Cojo Anchorage under Pt. Conception (30 miles)
From looking at the map I am wondering if there is a good anchorage at San Luis Obispo? (50 miles around Pt. Conception)
Morro Bay (100 miles).

From Morro Bay homeward bound I would sail straight through to Santa Cruz Island (200 miles), then sail straight to Catalina, then straight home to Mission Bay (75 miles).

My intention is to accomplish the greatest sea voyage ever attempted on a Catalina 25 (single handed).

Planned trip to take 3 to 4 weeks, in August, the calmest month for working to windward. Wait for weather at each stop.

Any members up that way? Slips available in Morro Bay? Is there a good anchorage at San Luis Obispo?

Pt. Conception and the Santa Barbara Channel can be brutal, even in August. Winds to 25 knots and seas 5 to 7 would be a calm day. The plan would be to motor around the Pt. in total calm at night between 11 PM and 11 AM.

Indiscipline 1978 FK SR #398

Edited by - on

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2010 :  18:05:14  Show Profile
Jim,
Sounds like a real adventure! Can't think of anyone else more capable to make it happen. Keep us posted as you plan through this.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

BruceL
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
30 Posts

Response Posted - 05/02/2010 :  16:52:26  Show Profile
Hey Jim sounds like a great trip
When you get into CI Or Ventura I would love to meet up with you
Also the Run from Catalina right in to CI isn't too bad
The Only other worry I would have is we get some bad fog still in August

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2010 :  11:05:17  Show Profile
Living the Dream!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2010 :  12:59:29  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
Jim, Sounds like a great trip. I have only been as far north as Marina Del Ray so missed Pt. Conception. Keep us updated.
Steve A
PS I want your job what allows you 3 or 4 weeks off!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

windsong
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
318 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2010 :  13:26:41  Show Profile
Sounds like an awesome adventure. You'll have some salt on your cheeks after that trip. How will you handle sleep, especially on the long run home from Morrow to Santa Cruz Island?

Edited by - windsong on 05/04/2010 13:28:58
Go to Top of Page

PCP777
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1225 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2010 :  13:30:30  Show Profile
You ocean guys make me jealous. You should write a daily journal during this trip.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimB517
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
3285 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2010 :  14:48:22  Show Profile  Visit JimB517's Homepage
I may not get to this trip this year, since I want a full month to do it. I'm just starting planning now. This year I may make my 3rd attempt on San Diego - San Miguel Island, which would be a very tough trip in a big boat, let alone a C25. I have 4 weeks of vacation but I need to save a few days for the Nationals and for San Diego - Ensenada.

I'd like to make an epic, long, single handed ocean trip.

I think I could break this up with no overnight passages but some long 17+ hour days.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

superbob
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
200 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2010 :  06:50:39  Show Profile  Visit superbob's Homepage
Fun trip but watch out and steer clear of the whales migrating north.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

windsong
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
318 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2010 :  07:21:19  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JimB517</i>
<br />I'd like to make an epic, long, single handed ocean trip.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I must confess, Jim, I suffer from the same romantic urge. I'm just going to have to indulge it one of these days. I blame Joshua Slocum. One of my favorite columns by Fatty Goodlander is on his own brief flirtation with the romance of single-handing. It's hilarious. Go to page 32.

http://www.scribd.com/full/6701898?access_key=key-swpe74i8cgwu67wwohf

Edited by - windsong on 05/05/2010 07:29:27
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page