Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 A Sober Sail
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/10/2011 :  19:57:58  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
Winds were light for our race this morning, but the water was kinda rolly. You know one of those race days where you think, if the wind picks up I'll need a 110% up front, but if it drops at all, I'll want my 155%, or maybe a DRS.

Actually, once we dropped to 1.5 kts on the reaching leg, we swapped up to our 155% and worked to keep the boat moving, and on the downwind leg we decided to pack it in and head home since I had to get to the DMV and renew my drivers license before noon.

We fired up the outboard, and motored back to the marina as the wind picked up slightly, maybe to 8 knots, but likely around 5. On the way in we picked up a wayward race mark for the RC, and were tying up in our slip as a pile of chatter started up on the VHF.

One of the more experienced guys in our club had fallen from his boat and his crew was doing a rescue. Other boats were asking if needed a hand. He called off the help, went back to get his Dad, and then hollered for anyone nearby to give him help. Which he got.

Apparently, the signs of a stroke were there, and then the Dad lost his balance, slipped and went overboard. Without a lifejacket. It was only blowing 5 knots out there, certainly not much over that, likely a lot less than that.

His body was recovered by his son who dove overboard to save Dad. Police/fire/ambulance were on scene at the marina in minutes, and a paramedic was on the boat that brought him in, giving CPR all the way in. Since we had come in early, we coordinated with the shore team for the recesutation. It was avaliant effort and EMS did a good job, but he was blue when he was dragged in.

The initial calls went out on VHF, and CCG was obviously coordinating with local authorities. When they arrived, we kept radio contact between the shore forces and the boat that picked him up, and once the police boat arrived (after he was ashore) we communicated with the crew that brought in the abandoned sailboat, and the rest of te fleet as things progressed ashore.

It was a sober day. The quietest I've ever seen the club. The family has now updated their Dad's status on Facebook and posted on our club forum, so I am comfortable sharing this with you.

Please, wear your lifejacket. If this man had been wearing his, he might be paralysed from the stroke, he might even have to live in a wheelchair, but at least he'd be alive.

Next weekend is our big regatta. I wonder what the mood at it will be.

"Iris"
1984 FK/SR #4040
http://frosthaus.blogspot.com/

Take a minute to register your boat with the association!!
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/owner_questionnaire.htm

Edited by - on

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 09/11/2011 :  05:17:47  Show Profile
Good skippers always look for Potential Trouble Sources. A phrase I learned from a Scientologist who wanted me to try and hold two electrified cans - go figure

If they look frail, scared, or if weather conditions warrant, or if good ole dad is freaking racing, put an autoinflator on him.... WTF? Somber indeed. Mistakes happen, but one problem begets another. Sorry for the loss, glad to have been reminded of the warning.

sten

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/11/2011 :  07:05:01  Show Profile
Sounds like everyone rallied and worked together in a valiant effort. The first thing that went right was the early VHF communication getting the CG involved. They have their fingers on all the right buttons to mobilize responders on the water and on land. The son first thought help wasn't needed, but suddenly found that it was... The jacket might have been missing, but the help was already assembling. One thing wrong, one thing right.

When I crewed in various races, we never thought much about PFDs... I even found myself on a C&C-36 that didn't have any, or a working flood light, on board... in a race that went after dark in rain and upper-teens winds on a 100 mile fetch, with too big a genny up,........ Just about drove me out of racing forever. Now, if I crew, I'll have my inflatable on--strobe and whistle attached. If I were racing a boat, my entire crew would wear them (or stay on the dock)--there's no excuse any more.

The two basic laws of the sea:

1. $#!+ happens, and...
2. The water wants to kill you.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 09/11/2011 07:12:32
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 09/12/2011 :  05:09:54  Show Profile
I am sorry for the loss and I hope the mood improves with time...

Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A drink for you—and another one

(Irish Traditional)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 09/12/2011 :  07:44:53  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
Thanks for the support guys. It is an interesting dynamic on the club's website right now.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page