Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Mast Gate
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

3474 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/08/2013 :  04:52:18  Show Profile
So.. I ordered the mast gate from CD and it looks like we are gonna have some reasonable weather this weekend. high 70 low 50. Incredible.

As usual I plan on spending the weekend on the boat finishing up many projects (like Henk) and as usual one of my friends will probably show up and we will sail, drink and play Guitars. (I'm low on the girlfrnd list right now and trying to enjoy it.)

Anything tricky about the gate install?

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - on

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 01/08/2013 :  05:29:52  Show Profile
Trying to finish up the main halyard to the cabin top on the port side with a clutch, and a frdwrd reefing line back to the cabintop with a cam cleat.

Hard to believe the weather will be that nice this weekend. Winter in Dixie. I hope I can get some work done but cigars and guitars may win out...

Every time I look at that Henk post I start feeling kinda lazy... Wow.. what a list...

Edited by - redeye on 01/08/2013 05:36:23
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 01/08/2013 :  06:09:53  Show Profile
Ray,

I found that tapping the holes in the mast for the gate was easy, but juggling a small screw, one piece of the mast gate, and a screw driver is daunting. I have to move slowly and carefully each time I remove or reinstall the gate for some reason, like when replacing a sail slide. Luckily, no gifts of any tools given to Neptune yet! I have cords or lanyards on each tool I use on the boat, but one slip and a nice, little, marine-grade screw bounces off the cabin and into the drink!

Hey, another business trip to Atlanta could have been scheduled for me at the end of this week, but it was cancelled in December. I enjoyed crewing on your C-25 a few years ago, and I might need to fly from DC to Atlanta in the spring. I'll let you know way ahead of time, whatever.

It's supposed to be in the 60's on the Chesapeake this weekend, and I sure hope to get out on the water on Saturday. We're south of the Mason-Dixon line, here in MD, too.

Happy sailing in the January sunshine!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 01/08/2013 :  06:24:50  Show Profile
Sweet.. look forward to sailing with you if the schedule works out.. and I would love to sail on the Chessie again. Had some Blue Point Oysters this weekend, ( they were out of Apalachicola Oysters ) and they were great.

You should look into using a battery powered screwdriver with a magnetic tip and screw sleeve.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

iwillnotsubmit
1st Mate

Members Avatar

64 Posts

Response Posted - 01/08/2013 :  07:02:25  Show Profile
Bring a grider with you, I needed to grind quite a bit off to get it to fit just right.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 01/08/2013 :  08:06:06  Show Profile
Yup--they're made purposely long so you can fit them to your opening--trying to do it with just a file might take a few days. Put some anti-seizing stuff on the screws--you don't want the plates to become permanent.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pfduffy
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
317 Posts

Response Posted - 01/08/2013 :  09:38:12  Show Profile
Agree with JohnP about those little screws. The bottom of my slip is littered with them! I think the fact that I am dealing with them in the cold weather does not help - early in the season and late in the season.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 01/08/2013 :  10:44:50  Show Profile
<< Bring a grider with you, I needed to grind quite a bit off to get it to fit just right. >>

Thank you Submit.. I wouldn't have seen that coming.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 01/08/2013 :  11:00:26  Show Profile
Get you one of these.. You will love um. Here are three examples. Magnetic tip holds most screws from falling and the sleeve allows you to "preload" many screws for one handed operation.

And the first thing I do on most projects is got to west marine and buy extra screws.

Now... what would you use for an anti galling compound when putting stainless screws into al-you-minnium???

Tef Flex???

Edited by - redeye on 01/08/2013 11:00:50
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 01/08/2013 :  11:06:05  Show Profile
<< anti-seizing stuff >>

Google that and sure enough... Granger calls that Anti-Seize

Just like you said Stinkpotter.

Edited by - redeye on 01/08/2013 11:18:08
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 01/08/2013 :  13:56:18  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redeye</i>
<br />...what would you use for an anti galling compound when putting stainless screws into al-you-minnium???<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I've used Permatex in a tube, but there are a bunch of 'em.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 01/08/2013 13:58:54
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 01/08/2013 :  14:03:42  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
A piece of green painters tape will hold the gates in place until you get the screws in. One less thing to juggle. I bring spare screws whenever I do something involving those gates.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 01/08/2013 :  14:35:51  Show Profile
&lt;&lt; I've used Permatex in a tube, but there are a bunch of 'em. &gt;&gt;

Thank you .. for some reason I've never gotten the stuff in my tool box/bag/backpack.. seem to keep forgetting to buy it.. Oh and then there is that other thing... I'm in fresh water so it takes a while.. If I forgot it in a saltwater environment I'd regret it within days.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 01/08/2013 :  16:44:12  Show Profile
I put a dab of Silicone on the threads of the screws, Acts like lock-tite but not as strong and it insulates the dissimilar metals. Magnets won't hold to SS. Yep, Count me in on losing those screws, Plink, Plink, Splash....

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 01/08/2013 :  18:07:28  Show Profile
Buy the smallest package of anti-seize, it goes a long way. I bought a small can about 10 years ago and there's still about 99.999999999% still left in the can.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 01/09/2013 :  05:17:54  Show Profile
&lt;&lt; lock-tite &gt;&gt;

I hate to sound like an idiot, but I am... I really forgot that locktite was the anit-seize. I kept thinking of a grease like material, but of course the locktight acts as a barrier. ( I've got the grease I used on the electrical work I just did on my mind. )

And like you said, Scott, the silicone works as well and now I remember forgetting that.

It seems I get so few times to get out and work on the boat, and with so much other stuff going on I forget much of what I have supposedly learned.

Got a metal cut off wheel from Home Depo last night with a mandrel that fits properly so I might be able to properly trim the gate without power. Battery operated dremmel also, and a plug in dremmel if the battery dies.

Mandrel... another new word to learn.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 01/14/2013 :  13:24:16  Show Profile
Well… it just seemed like this job would never end.
Main halyard to the cabintop, adding cheekblock and clutch. Forward reefing line to cabintop, cheek block on mast, check block on deck, to a clam cleat. I drilled out the holes oversized and using a syringe injected Gflex resin into the holes and it took forever for it to set up. Like 4 hours. Colder than normal and I must not have added enough hardner. Bedded everything with silicone, and used 3 inch screws and held them from the bottom with small locking pliers while tightening the nylon lockwasher nuts. Cut the screws with a boltcutter, filed the ends with a dremmel and added acorn nuts. Pain in the buns job. Drill fiberglass filings everywhere.
Mast Gate added to the mast. Filed the ends with a dremmel and then a power drill with a cutting bit. Drilled out the screw holes and tapped them and thought I had gotten caught up in the mast wiring, but did not thank goodness. Put silicon on the screws for anit-seazing.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 01/14/2013 :  14:18:00  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Bedded everything with silicone<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Hum, Ray I hope you don't mean you used Silicone to bed anything to the cabin top...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 01/14/2013 :  18:32:52  Show Profile
Ummm Yepper.....the clutch said no polysulfide... so I used silicone.. I really didnt see a problem with the screws bedded in uncured resin they will be sealed tight. I might have water creeping under the clutch but not into the deck. Always used 100% silicone with plastic and never had a problem.

Plastic Harken 40MM carbo air block forward and aft...

Edited by - redeye on 01/18/2013 04:59:09
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 01/15/2013 :  05:03:12  Show Profile
Hey... I was just thrilled it was warm enough to take the boat out, sleep on it for a night and get some work done...

One of my problems is by the time I finish a work week.. 6:30 am to 5 pm with patients coming at me all day long that by the time the weekend comes around I am often doing this work completely exhausted...

Anyhoo.....

and aft..

Edited by - redeye on 01/15/2013 05:29:48
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 01/15/2013 :  05:07:21  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
I bed practically everything using Butyl tape (available from almost any RV store) great for dissimilar metal interfaces and does a great job of keeping water out. Google it and you'll find [url="http://store.chautauquamarina.com/cmarine/details.php?ITEM=2073204"]this kind of stuff[/url]

It's supposed to stay unhardened for up to 30 years. Easy to use, clean (just pick up any droppings and trim the squeeze out). A little goes a long long way! I invariably apply too much and have a lot of squeeze out to trim, but things get bedded really well.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 01/15/2013 :  05:21:05  Show Profile
Thanks Paul.. I'll keep my eyes out for some butyl tape.. and thanks prospector for the masking tape suggestion for the mast gates, it held them in the right spot while I drilled.

I kinda used silicone cause the deck was so dirty and I expect to rebed these after cleaning the deck.

This was a so called "quick" winter job during a warm spell.

[url="http://rayswords.com/temp/130112_marina_b.jpg"]Winter Morning[/url]

Edited by - redeye on 01/15/2013 11:45:49
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 01/15/2013 :  09:13:08  Show Profile
Ray,

Hey, I see in your photo of the "Winter Morning" that the fog you had on Lake Lanier was about 3 times lighter than the fog I had on my river off the Chesapeake Bay!

I motored out Saturday afternoon to anchor close to the Bay, had a beautiful sunset and a nice dinner, and I was expecting to start sailing right at sunrise. There was no sunrise, though. In the morning I could not see more than 100 feet. The temperature went up into the 60's, but it drizzled all day. So I just motored the 5 miles back to the marina with the GPS in one hand and the air horn in the other! Fog is no fun to sail in!

I was happy that the Honda 9.9 started on the first pull, with the fresh gas and the impeller flushed after each use, at least. And it's hard to complain that I couldn't "sail on my yacht" in January in Maryland.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 01/15/2013 :  13:13:49  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Butyl tape... try this guy http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/butyl_tape
I've used it for a bunch of things, including my RV trailer. But it's the coolest stretchiest stuff for the boat, and works great to easily seal stuff...

he has a huge rant about low quality butyl tape over at that other forum, SAIL NUT or whatever.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 01/15/2013 :  13:48:08  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by shnool</i>
<br />Butyl tape... try this guy http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/butyl_tape
I've used it for a bunch of things, including my RV trailer. But it's the coolest stretchiest stuff for the boat, and works great to easily seal stuff...

he has a huge rant about low quality butyl tape over at that other forum, SAIL NUT or whatever.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I've used the stuff from RV stores, and the stuff in shnool's link, and there's no comparison. For demanding marine applications, you've gotta get the stuff from pbase.com. That guy has tested a lot of different suppliers and contracted with someone to supply material that has just the perfect combination of adhesive strength and cohesive stretch. Don't waste your time with anything else - just spend the few extra dollars and get a couple rolls of his stuff. You will not regret it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page