Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Charger Location?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Earl Landers
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
157 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/31/2005 :  11:57:08  Show Profile
It is almost time for my spring projects. For those of you with a perminately mounted battery charger, where is it located? I have a Xantrex True Charge 20 that I plan to use and the users manual suggests a vertical mount. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your input

Earl D Landers

Edited by - on

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2005 :  12:06:08  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
Gosh Earl, with your increadible power panel the places most of us have chosen may not be what you are looking for.
Mine is below where your power wall used to be. Partly to keep the heat outside and partly because of the proxinity to mu battery switch. I think it would have ended up in the same place because of the heat issue regardless of the battery switch location.

Edited by - Frank Hopper on 01/31/2005 12:07:03
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2005 :  12:32:39  Show Profile
My small charger is located next to the battery under the starboard settee. It is mounted with two screws on the vertical surface of the sette.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

matsche
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
280 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2005 :  12:41:40  Show Profile
Earl: My truecharge is mounted in the quarter berth, on the plywood that separates it from the portside locker, just aft of the stair case. If you look at Frank's picture, mine is attached to that same piece of plywood, but on the other side. My port locker seems to get a lot of moisture in it, so I opted for an inside location.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

oldsalt
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
578 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2005 :  17:41:42  Show Profile
My ancient Ray Jefferson 15 amp dual battery charger is mounted on the bulkhead over the locker accross from the head. Since my batteries are located under the aft starboard settee the # 10 AWG wiring isn't long enough for a significant voltage drop. It's a good idea to mount battery chargers according to the manufacturer's instructions if they recommend vertical mounting in order that the cooling effect of the airflow over the unit is sufficient and properly directed. Battery chargers should be installed in dry locations where there is plenty of ambient air to cool them off.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2005 :  23:42:06  Show Profile
I have both btrys on the starboard side and wanted to keep the shorted distance between charger and btrys so the charger is attached vertically on a bulkhead that also supports the compartment built for holding safety gear, spot light, inflatable vest, etc. It is up against side of hull back of compartment behind starboard bench. This is a 79 hull and I have made other custom changes. I like the charger in this position because the meter shows and it tell the condition of each battery when the battery switch is in it's position. I have used a plug in system for the charger using plug and socket for electric outboards from Walmart. The wiring is attached directly to the btry cables at the main switch thru the isolator so both brtys are charged. I also have breakers located at each btry on the btry so all the cables are protected, the breakers are from an RV dealer and have to be manually reset if tripped. I have had this system for at least 10 years after reading about this situation in the boating industry with btry cables, no protection.
The charger is used with shore power when cruising and in a marina.
Good spring project. Jim Sweet

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Earl Landers
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
157 Posts

Response Posted - 02/01/2005 :  00:07:28  Show Profile
Thanks to y'all for the replies

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Rollins
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
50 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2005 :  21:21:24  Show Profile
Earl:

Don't have my cat 25 any longer, but I mounted a two-battery, three-stage Guest in the forward end of the cockpit locker. I mounted it on plywood, and thru-bolted that piece of plywood to the piece mounted in the locker that you hang the sheets and fenders on. I never had any trouble with it at that location.

Mike Rollins

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

lcharlot
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Antigua and Barbuda
1301 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2005 :  20:27:08  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by matsche</i>
<br />Earl: My truecharge is mounted in the quarter berth, on the plywood that separates it from the portside locker...My port locker seems to get a lot of moisture in it, so I opted for an inside location.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Agree 100% with Matche's assessment. I don't like to mount any kind of electronics in the lazarette, or any compartment exposed to the bilges. The humidity in those compartments is always high if there is even the smallest trace of water in the bilge, and humidity is the enemy of electronics. In particular, I would not put a 120 volt shorepowered device like a battery charger in a high-moisture location, especially if you leave the shorepower connected even when the boat is left unattended for several days at a time. Electrical faults are the #1 cause of fires on unattended boats.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page