Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Ship to Shore Power
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sailingenthusiast
Deckhand

Member Avatar

3 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/02/2005 :  15:03:25  Show Profile
I just bought an '86 C-25; I am not sure what the ship to shore power ship is for. It has the choice between positive and negative. What position should it be in when using shore power?

Edited by - on

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 02/02/2005 :  16:03:03  Show Profile
Congratulations and welcome aboard Rick!

I'm not sure if I understand what you are asking...Could the negative or positive thing that you are referring to be a shore power polarity indicator?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Sailingenthusiast
Deckhand

Members Avatar

3 Posts

Response Posted - 02/02/2005 :  18:42:31  Show Profile
Yes, that was what I meant. Can you tell me when to switch to pos or neg?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tony Dillon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
168 Posts

Response Posted - 02/02/2005 :  23:40:10  Show Profile
Welcome Rick,
If you are talking about the 110 volt shore power...I think what you are looking at is the original circuit breaker that catalina installed. It has a reverse polarity light under it that I think was green on my original breaker. On Mental Floss when the switch was to the left the breaker was off, to the right was on. If the reverse polarity light comes on it means that the shore power entering the boat has the polarity reversed which is a dangerous situation (generally this means the marina has the outlet wired wrong).

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Champipple
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
6855 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2005 :  07:58:24  Show Profile  Visit Champipple's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tony Dillon</i>
<br />Welcome Rick,
If you are talking about the 110 volt shore power...I think what you are looking at is the original circuit breaker that catalina installed. It has a reverse polarity light under it that I think was green on my original breaker. On Mental Floss when the switch was to the left the breaker was off, to the right was on. If the reverse polarity light comes on it means that the shore power entering the boat has the polarity reversed which is a dangerous situation (generally this means the marina has the outlet wired wrong).

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

There is also a possibility that the boat is wired "reversed" from the receptacle to the switch.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Jeff McK
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
389 Posts

Response Posted - 02/08/2005 :  08:54:37  Show Profile
Easy check: Borrow or (better yet) get a circuit tester. Marinco makes one for 30 AMP twist-lock connections that you can get at WM or most othervendors. It checks for no power, no ground, hot & reversed polarity.

There are also smaller versions similar to what you might use at home for checking 15 AMP systems.

I have a red reverse polarity light on my power panel & I know my boat is set up correctly, so I check at the dock receptacle BEFORE hooking up. Have only found one bad one, and alerted the marina owner. It was fixed right away & he was very appreciative.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page