Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Drilling holes in fiberglass (part II)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bruce Baker
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
402 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/24/2005 :  12:04:03  Show Profile
When I have mounted hardware on my boat's deck in the past, I've drilled my holes, put of marine sealant around the hardward, and tightened the bolts. That' it.

Now a friend of mine told me that he drills his holes, digs out a chunk of core with a coathanger, fills the hole with epoxy, and then drills a new hole through the epoxy. That way, there's no core exposed.

Is that the proper way to mount hardware, or is it overkill?

Thanks,

Bruce Baker
Falls Church, VA
"Yee Ha" 3573
'83SR/SK

Edited by - on

John G-
Admiral

Members Avatar

793 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2005 :  12:54:07  Show Profile  Visit John G-'s Homepage
<font size="2"> <font face="Comic Sans MS">
Bruce,
It’s pretty standard practice in most yards. One tip I got from the guys in the yard that do this a lot is to take an Allen key and grind the bent over end into a sharp point, then you can put it in a drill to dig out some of the core. Then tape the hole from the bottom and fill with epoxy. When you drill the new smaller hole it will effectively have an epoxy bushing to protect the core from moisture.
I just did it on a new stanchion and bow roller.
Also Ben clued me into taping the area you are going to drill so you don’t splinter the gel coat.
</font id="size2"> </font id="Comic Sans MS">

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2005 :  13:08:59  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
I think a lot depends on where you sail. My dealer has never done anything but drill squeeze and tighten and I have never heard of any issues from the hundreds of boats he has commissioned. I do the quick and easy as well and have never had any issues on my four boats. HOWEVER! In Kansas we have baking heat for an entire summer and we cover our boats all winter.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Sloop Smitten
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1181 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2005 :  13:40:19  Show Profile
Bruce,
That's how Don Casey describes it. It all depends on the shape of the core. If it was in good shape you probably wouldn't be resetting hardware anyway.
http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/39.htm

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1234 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2005 :  14:53:44  Show Profile
Hi Bruce, I didn't grind out any core material when I mounted my bow roller. I simply drilled the holes with an oversized drill bit, filled with epoxy, and then tapped the smaller drill holes through the epoxy to hopefully seal the wood core. I like the idea of the allan wrench though.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Rich G
Navigator

Members Avatar

226 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2005 :  18:22:01  Show Profile
You can also cut the head off of a nail and bend it 90 degrees and stick that in your drill.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page
Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06
Notice: The advice given on this site is based upon individual or quoted experience, yours may differ.
The Officers, Staff and members of this site only provide information based upon the concept that anyone utilizing this information does so at their own risk and holds harmless all contributors to this site.