Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 boatersworld.com
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ClamBeach
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

3072 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/22/2005 :  23:45:05  Show Profile
Has anyone hanging around here done business with them?
Comments?


WOTAM - '77 Catalina 25 SK/SR Sail Number 158

Edited by - on

Gary B.
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
969 Posts

Response Posted - 05/23/2005 :  05:29:52  Show Profile
Not the online version, but I have bought a few things from the local store. They really have limited sailing things, IMHO; they tend to be "powerboater heaven". I solicited them for some items for last year's Nationals and was turned down flat, so I am spending more and dealing with WM when I need to see/feel/touch the item. Frankly, I know I spend a bit more at WM, but I can often get good, experienced folks to give advice there. The Boater's World folks are usually just "sales-people", not "sails people".

If you like to shop online, I suggest Defender or Sailnet as alternatives, but I sure hope that enough of us buy at the local chandlerys so they STAY IN BUSINESS! It is a consideration, I think. For instance most of the local camera stores in my area have gone under because of online competition, and it's a pity. IMHO, there are some important things to consider other that JUST who is "cheapest".....

Gary B.
s/v Encore! SK/SR #685
Fleet 94 Captain

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Turk
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
736 Posts

Response Posted - 05/23/2005 :  07:02:22  Show Profile  Visit Turk's Homepage
I was just at the local Boater's world up in Cleveland yesterday and like it better than WM! Large store with just the oposite what Gary said, they had lots of harware and items for sailors. Large electronics selection (nothing for sailing at our local WM) dinghy's at better prices, rope and chain at better pricing, and lots and lots on sale. This store also caters to the fisherman (I'm not one) and powerboaters, but plenty for us sailors to look at.

They also carry other outboard brands (nissan, Tahatsu) other than Mercury and at reduced pricing.

Funny thing though, there is a WM across the street!

Turk

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Champipple
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
6855 Posts

Response Posted - 05/23/2005 :  07:32:49  Show Profile  Visit Champipple's Homepage
Where do you sail in Cleveland Turk?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

matsche
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
280 Posts

Response Posted - 05/23/2005 :  09:22:48  Show Profile
Clam:

I've had good luck with Boater's World. Bought my Tohatsu from their online catalog 3 years ago. Had the best price at the time. Their store here in Charlotte seems comparable to the WM.

John

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

thacket3
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
101 Posts

Response Posted - 05/23/2005 :  11:32:43  Show Profile
Gary B:
Interesting side note, Boaters World is owned by Ritz Camera. (just thought it ironic that you made the camera reference in your post)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Lightnup
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1016 Posts

Response Posted - 05/23/2005 :  15:24:18  Show Profile
Hope they're good guys...I just ordered a bimini from them online.

Steve

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Turk
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
736 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2005 :  07:16:11  Show Profile  Visit Turk's Homepage
I actually sail on Mosquito lake in northeastern Ohio. Second largest lake in Ohio. I will get up to Erie now that I have a larger boat.

Turk

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Duane Wolff</i>
<br />Where do you sail in Cleveland Turk?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jlguthri
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
93 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2005 :  20:39:06  Show Profile  Visit jlguthri's Homepage
Boaters world is a local company for me. Their main office if only 30 minutes from my house (not Ritz's office).

I've always been treated good there...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Gary B.
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
969 Posts

Response Posted - 05/25/2005 :  01:26:22  Show Profile
A VERY knowledgable sailing gal here in town just told me that Boater's World was purchased by West. I asked her if she was confusing BoatUS, whom I know has gone in cahoots with WM. She was Quite insistent...so I shut up. Interesting to hear now that Boater's World is owned by a camera company!

I am glad you other folks have had good experiences. Here, though, I stand by what i said about their sales people having LITTLE sailing experience or even interest, as opposed to WM. Could be a local thing.....

Gary B.
s/v Encore! #685

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Happy D
Admiral

Members Avatar

921 Posts

Response Posted - 05/25/2005 :  07:57:38  Show Profile
I bought two cam cleats from them on Ebay. I got the cams cheap but, they did not combine shipping and then charged me an arm and a leg for shipping, they were no deal at all. They don't take Paypal and they don't get anymore of my business.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Bubba
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
542 Posts

Response Posted - 05/25/2005 :  21:53:03  Show Profile
I've found Boaters World to be able to beat many other store's prices, but you better know EXACTLY what you're buying because their sales staff haven't a clue. If you need advice before making a purchase, it's not the store for you.

I've had excellent service from them online. But, like most online ordering, you already know what you want and you're only looking for the best price.

I'm willing to pay more at the higher-priced chandlerys when I need advice. Like Gary said, I want them to stay in business too.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

thacket3
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
101 Posts

Response Posted - 05/26/2005 :  09:43:16  Show Profile
I work for a shopping mall developer/owner and have several leases held with Ritz/Boaters World. They are not owned by West Marine. Even here in Ft. Lauderdale the Boaters World folks, for the most part, are only hourly sales people, not boaters.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page
Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06
Notice: The advice given on this site is based upon individual or quoted experience, yours may differ.
The Officers, Staff and members of this site only provide information based upon the concept that anyone utilizing this information does so at their own risk and holds harmless all contributors to this site.