Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 does anyone live close to here...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Member Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/17/2006 :  16:06:52  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
Eastern Yacht Sales of Rhode Island, Inc..
39 Alexander Road
Melville Marina District
Portsmouth, RI 02871, USA
Tel 401 683 2200

There is a boat there that I am interested in and could use some help. I need someone to go have a look and tell me what they think, it is a VERY long drive for me.

Edited by - on

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2006 :  16:49:52  Show Profile
Is it the 43' Gulfstar?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2006 :  17:13:46  Show Profile
I'm about an hour away from there... and "every day's Saturday." But you might want to hold out for somebody who knows something about boats...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

atgep
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1009 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2006 :  18:26:30  Show Profile
I don't know about the 43 but...I did crew on a Gulfstar 41 sloop rig that was the winner of many a races. It was a fine sailing boat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3369 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2006 :  18:38:58  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Coincidentally, I have a business trip and will be flying into the Providence, RI Airport on Sunday afternoon. I'm heading to Groton, Conn for 5 days returning Friday. Checking a map, Portsmouth is about 50 miles out of the way from where I am headed.

Sounds like Dave may be your best bet since he lives in semi-near proximity. Still... an hour each way gas money plus time driving and inspecting....perhaps you can tempt his curiosity a bit. Maybe he can take some photos.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bear
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
909 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2006 :  19:25:41  Show Profile
Frank, Southwest Airlines flies into Hartford/Springfield Connecticut and Providence Rhode Island. If you've never been to Rhode Island, particularly Newport, you gotta go. I saw the tall ships there a couple of years ago and never saw so many sailboats. I am about 31/2 hours away in eastern New York and not much help....Good Luck...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2006 :  19:57:05  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
I have mentioned before that I want to find an 89 Oday 272, (AKA 280). This is priced too high and has been sitting for a year. I need someone on the ground with a digital camera and a nose for trouble spots. Of course I am going to have it surveyed if the first pass looks ok, so if this sounds like fun then I would appreciate it. If this does not sound like fun then no one should offer to do it, it is my problem.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

atgep
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1009 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2006 :  20:52:22  Show Profile
Looks pretty good Frank.

Tom.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Champipple
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
6855 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2006 :  23:07:37  Show Profile  Visit Champipple's Homepage
Windows look like the modified version Frank. O'day is known for its window leakage and it leakage at the deck/hull joint.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Kip C
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
243 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2006 :  23:40:07  Show Profile
Frank,
There are a couple of '86 and '87 272 and a 28 around here, what are the differences in the '89's? I also like the mid to late 80's Odays.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3369 Posts

Response Posted - 01/18/2006 :  08:58:05  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Frank,

A remote possibility is to contact via EMail any Cat 25 or 250 owners that are from Rhode Island and have listed their EMail addresses in the Owner Section. Perhaps they are semi-active on this forum but have just not read your posting. They may be interested in going down to the boat and forwarding an assessment.

I did a quick check of the Rhode Island owners that are listed and this woould narrow the search if you could pinpoint where their towns are in close proximity to Portsmouth and then send an EMail to those closest. One is located directly in Portsmouth ! Here is what I came up with:

#3756 - Portsmouth; #4503 - Cranston; #5699 - Coventry; #1845 & #5401 - East Greenwich; #2921 - Lincoln and a Cat 250 owner #348 - Wakefield.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Alan Clark
Captain

Members Avatar

406 Posts

Response Posted - 01/18/2006 :  09:04:49  Show Profile
Frank, Before we bought "Leprechaun" we looked at an O'Day 272 and it is shoal draft BUT It Was In Tough shape..leaks inside and the "carpeting on the walls was stained (leaks) in spots. For the dollars you are going to invest in an O'day why not buy Catalina 30? much Better boat,still made and parts are available.. I sail a 30 with my friend once a week on Lake Erie and it is a well built, easy to sail boat (He single hands and sets an asym by himself). Dollar for Dollar, my boat would be the 30..besides you get a couple of more feet!. If I could sail a 30 where we sail I would own one..Catalina..Best value for your dollar! Alan

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Kip C
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
243 Posts

Response Posted - 01/18/2006 :  09:09:17  Show Profile
Never mind on my previous post. Just checked out the interior photos. Wow!. What a difference. Seems like Oday may have been ahead of Catalina at the time with regards to design.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

mfasis
Navigator

Members Avatar

114 Posts

Response Posted - 01/18/2006 :  11:32:54  Show Profile
Frank,

Take a look at this one.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/boa/126038829.html

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 01/18/2006 :  12:07:44  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
I am a man of very modest means. That means I have to be very realistic about cost of ownership. There are many boats I would love to have and I fully appriciate the VALUE of the Catalina 30. As do the 15 people in our club who own them, however there are many facets to owning a boat. I am a very anal and picky guy, I must have one of the finest examples of whatever I own. (Trust me, my 82 and 89 qualify.) I have to be realistic and face the fact that I cannot afford the sails, rigging, hardware, etc that I would be compelled to put on a 30. We also have serious personal property tax here in Ks and big boats hurt there as well.
Beyond all of that I am 56 and looking realistically at what I can singlehand in 10 years. I race on a Catalina 28 now and sail handling is an issue. So I have been looking for a wide body 27 and a friend bought a 272 new years ago and I have always like the boat both on the water and at the dock. The 89 has a modern interior, (it wasn't enough to keep the boat in production but it is nice) and the open layout would make the boat feel even larger. So, affordable, manageable, and acceptable reduces my list to a very few boats and the 89 272 is at the top. The only thing this boat lacks is a trailer and I will have to buy one.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 01/18/2006 :  12:14:26  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
I have several volunteers now so that part has been dealt with.
(Thanks Rick)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page