Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Crazing of compus glass
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

djn
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
1561 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/17/2006 :  23:09:22  Show Profile
Hi All, I thought I posted this here but it has not shown up....I must have hit "back" instead of "Post". Anyway...

Hi All, I have a bulkhead compass on my C25. It is in an orbe and you can see it from inside the boat as well as outside the boat. In the inside, the plastic (not glass) is clear and new looking. On the outside it is yellowed and hazy and crazed. What can I do to fix this. It is still a good compass but just hard to read with a glance. Cheers.

Dennis
No Boat
S.E. Michigan

Edited by - on

rclift
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
152 Posts

Response Posted - 01/18/2006 :  01:15:24  Show Profile
A lot depends on the brand of compass. The Saturn bulkhead compass that was on Buzz began to craze. I noticed several cracks running vertical. Soon after I noticed that it was leaking. Saturn are a basic inexpensive compass and can't be repaired. Many of the other better quality instruments have replacement parts.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

PZell
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
548 Posts

Response Posted - 01/18/2006 :  11:37:39  Show Profile
To prevent that happening again keep the compass glass covered when not in use. The UV gets to it. There are some covers on the market, or you can make one out of plastic or sunbrella.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 01/18/2006 :  11:45:49  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
Sounds like a Plastimo Contest 101, Try sending it in to them for service. You could try jelwer's rouge.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tom Potter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1913 Posts

Response Posted - 01/18/2006 :  18:18:05  Show Profile
I've heard you could use tooth paste and rub/polish with your fingers, although I have not tried it. If it doesn't work at least your finger will smell nice.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

eric.werkowitz
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
283 Posts

Response Posted - 01/18/2006 :  18:27:10  Show Profile
Dennis,

I used a chrome and stainless steel polish on my Plastimo compass that was crazed and hazy, but not really yellowed. Anyway, the polish worked great and the effect lasted for years. Just noticed the other day that it was time to try another treatment.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

djn
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1561 Posts

Response Posted - 01/18/2006 :  19:07:12  Show Profile
Thanks All, I will try some of these home remidies before I send it back and report on what works. I will also find a cover for it. Obviously, it has been in the open for a while. Somewhere I have lexan polish from when I owned an airplane. I use to polish the windscreen every year. That stuff might work. I'll let you all know. Cheers.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page