Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Motor Lifting Tool
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jaclasch
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
104 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/24/2006 :  23:54:32  Show Profile
For those of you who have a nice 4-spring Garhauer motor bracket for your 4-stroke outboard, read no further. For those who are still struggling along with a 2-spring bracket until replacement time, here is an easy-to-make tool that will make life more pleasant and your back happier.

The tool is simply an axe handle modified with a few indents, a short length of line, a clam cleat, and a modified u-bolt. The indents are made to fit the one-inch diameter rail that you hang over or reach under to accomplish various outboard motor tasks. To make them, clamp the axe handle down alongside a scrap length of wood of the same thickness and use a 1-inch hole saw with the guide drill positioned between handle and scrap so it cuts a half-circle out of each. You can see these in the pictures.

The u-bolt is modified by cutting off half of one leg so it becomes a hook. Use a heavy- enough u-bolt (3/8” dia.) so you only have to dangle it down to catch the lifting handle.

In this picture note that the tool is extended aft so the first pressure pulls the motor-bracket handle out of locked position.

Now the tool is pulled two or three indents for lifting leverage. The tool is easy to drag from indent to indent, even under heavy pressure.

Now the tool is pressed all the way down and held while the bracket handle is pulled into lock position.

The axe handle is very sturdy and does not mar the rail. You can use the tool to lower the motor without getting into any cramped positions which, again, keeps your back happy.

James
1983 FK/TR
Tiempo Dorado

Edited by - on

djn
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1561 Posts

Response Posted - 03/25/2006 :  08:44:05  Show Profile
Hey James, very cool tool! For those of us with tender backs, it will really help.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 03/25/2006 :  08:45:47  Show Profile
I think we just found our newest entry in the Tech Tips section. Nice work James!

Good job!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tom Potter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1913 Posts

Response Posted - 03/25/2006 :  09:50:48  Show Profile
Great idea James, does it work as good when your lowering the motor?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jaclasch
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
104 Posts

Response Posted - 03/25/2006 :  10:42:55  Show Profile
Actually you can use it to lever the bracket handle out of the upper locked position and then just lower the motor from a standing position since you have the tool to hang onto. When the motor is down you may have to reach down to move the handle into lock position.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 03/25/2006 :  17:49:33  Show Profile
Great idea to share. Going out to the shop and start the project. I might have the 4 spring but this would be used too. Does it work to lower?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

gnorgan
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
563 Posts

Response Posted - 03/25/2006 :  21:27:51  Show Profile
Excellent idea!
Where, exactly, does the cam cleat get attached? I could not see the cleat in your pictures.

I also will be making one as my back suffers, too.

Another one of those "Now why didn't I think of that?" situations.

Edited by - gnorgan on 03/25/2006 21:30:40
Go to Top of Page

jaclasch
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
104 Posts

Response Posted - 03/25/2006 :  21:54:33  Show Profile
Gary,
The cleat is fastened on the right hand side midpoint. I am going to my boat tomorrow and will take a closeup picture or two to help you. Should be posted Sunday evening.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jaclasch
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
104 Posts

Response Posted - 03/26/2006 :  16:51:01  Show Profile
Okay, these two pictures should answer all questions. The first shows clam cleat position, line and hook.

Note that I drilled an angled hole to run the line through. This provides good friction with the wood as a secondary line brake.

I would prefer having a real j-hook with a loop to tie to, but my make-do works fine.

Edited by - jaclasch on 03/26/2006 20:42:46
Go to Top of Page

bjoyce
1st Mate

Members Avatar

51 Posts

Response Posted - 03/27/2006 :  14:14:10  Show Profile
Great idea! I'm making one. It will allow Andrea to take care of business so I can go to bed before docking. Ha Ha!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tom Potter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1913 Posts

Response Posted - 03/27/2006 :  18:10:29  Show Profile
Its quite a versatile tool... You can also use it to repel boarders. You Navy guys remember that don't you?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page