Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 New outboard from onlineoutboards.com ??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ajski1000
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
52 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/06/2006 :  16:28:32  Show Profile
Hi all Im considerings purchasing a new outboard for my c25.

I use the boat for coastal crusing and know that I want the 9.8 in the extra long, but im skeptical about purchasing from this online dealer. I know that it is rockbottom price, just under 2k for the 9.8 with all the options.
At the dealer you will spend 2200 plus taxes. Around 2300, and for that money better to spend the extra few hundred and get the Yamaha no?

What are your thoughts about these motors as well as service issues.
I mean they are coming from the factory out for the box, any adjustments, What if there is an issue. I spoke to the man at onlineoutboards and he wasnt very helpful. Just told me they were good motors, however, im lookging for a little more then that.

So the question is to buy a Tohatsu from these guys or to get one from a local dealer. Or for that matter spend the extra and get a honda or a yamaha with better warrantys and service but at an added cost of about 500 dollars.

Any thoughts and experiences would be much appreciated.

thanks

Edited by - on

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 05/06/2006 :  19:01:15  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
This may have now passed the swing keel pin failure question for most asked.

No one on this forum can assure you of anything. We can tell you about our own experiences and relay anecdotal knowledge. The company is absolutely honest. Please use the link in our affiliates page to get the additional discount that they give our members. The motors are excellent products of first quality and better design than some. These motors are very light. Honda is due for a redesign. There is a lot of info about this available if you use the search function.
It is always nice when you drop by, I hope you will post more often.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Brooke Willson
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
983 Posts

Response Posted - 05/06/2006 :  21:08:40  Show Profile
ajski, if you'll use the search function at the top, and try "new outboard" or the like, you'll see the dozens of threads discussing the topic. Take some time and read through them. Like Frank, I suspect you'll not find any definite conclusions to your questions. My hunch is that having a local repair shop is pretty important for any motor you buy. You'll find people here who like Hondas, others like Yamahas, others Tohatsus, and on and on. You might go down to your local marina and ask folks there about their motors and where they get them serviced.

And, as one of the Chief Defenders of the swing keel, I think it's the pennant failure, not the pin, that generates more discussion. The pin and hangers are pretty robust, and the hanger bolts, though inadequate in appearance, seem to be amazingly dependable.

Brooke

Edited by - Brooke Willson on 05/06/2006 21:11:09
Go to Top of Page

Paul
1st Mate

Members Avatar

57 Posts

Response Posted - 05/07/2006 :  06:53:45  Show Profile
I bought a Tohatsu 9.8 from onlineoutboards this spring for all the same incentives you describe, and I had all the same reservations. So far, I've not been disappointed, but it's early yet.

You're basically getting the motor as it would arrive at a dealer, direct from the factory. The box my was packaged had virtually self destructed by the time it got to me, but the contents were in fine shape. My local FedEx guy still gives me dirty looks for having to make the final leg of the delivery.

The documentation includes a Pre-Delivery Inspection form that a local dealer should complete before delivering a new outboard. It's a list of about thirty "check", "tighten", and "look for" items. To me, the list indicates the motor should arrive ready to go. But the fact of the matter is some percentage of any manufactured item is going to have a flaw, some nut that didn't get turned that final quarter of a turn, some gasket that didn't get pressed quite right, and the local dealer is the last point in the supply chain where those flaws get fixed.

To me, buying one through your local dealer is kind of like buying insurance; the extra money you pay covers the possibility that some line worker at Nissan/Tohatsu had a bad day when he put your motor together. If you'll rest easier with that assurance, buy you OB from a dealer. If you're a cheapskate like me (who also isn't a very big consumer of insurance, by the way) and you have time to read the manual and check the motor out yourself, you can save a few hundred bucks going through onlineoutboards.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ajski1000
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
52 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2006 :  16:00:56  Show Profile
Thanks for all your responses, I think the significant diffrence in money has made the decision for me. Im going to be going with the new 9.8 ELS. Seems to me like there has been nothing but positive reviews!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page