Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Dinghies
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JohnMD
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
207 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/11/2006 :  09:42:29  Show Profile
The wife has finally had it with getting wet strolling from the boat to the beach. She has sent her minion (me) forth to find a good dinghy. Any advice from you sage and experienced folks? I know they come in every shape, size, color, and price range. I think I'd rather have an inflatable that I could store in the boat, but, not if I have to accept lower quality. Thanks

Edited by - on

stampeder
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1608 Posts

Response Posted - 09/11/2006 :  12:46:49  Show Profile
I've got a 10' Zodiac that I inflate every time I sail, as my C25 is on a mooring ball 100' from shore.

I can deflate it and have it rolled up and into the trunk of my Nissan Maxima in about 5 minutes or less. This includes removing and rinsing the five wooden floor boards and the wooden seat.

Inflating takes about 10 minutes using an electric pump that I run from my car battery. The electric pump is only marginally faster than the foot pump that came with it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 09/11/2006 :  14:11:55  Show Profile
I've also been thinking about a dink. Leaning to a 9.5' hard dink that Westmarine has for about $500. It gets great reviews. Which is easier to tow behind a sailboat - inflatable or hard?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Turk
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
736 Posts

Response Posted - 09/12/2006 :  06:18:56  Show Profile  Visit Turk's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Nautiduck</i>
<br />I've also been thinking about a dink. Leaning to a 9.5' hard dink that Westmarine has for about $500. It gets great reviews. Which is easier to tow behind a sailboat - inflatable or hard?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I have a West Marine walker bay for sale for $400. I'll bump the link up in the for sale area.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

aeckhart
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1709 Posts

Response Posted - 09/12/2006 :  08:54:20  Show Profile  Visit aeckhart's Homepage
I have a 7.5 foot Zodiac roll-up. Generally I tow it when cruising and use an electric trolling motor for propulsion. Nice and quiet and no muscle strain.

I've used it for seven years and wouldn't change for anything, except maybe a new one. It's light, tows easily, carrys two adults comfortably, and is easy to care for. The only drawback thus far is that two of the floor slats rotted and broke this year and need to be replaced.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

AADIVER
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
966 Posts

Response Posted - 09/12/2006 :  11:13:46  Show Profile  Visit AADIVER's Homepage
Consider a Sevylor HF360, a 12' inflatable roll up that weighs only 45 lbs and takes a 2 horse outboard. With oars, transom engine bracket, and hand pump, all for around 250.00. Check out this website: www.inflatablesstore.com

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 09/12/2006 :  19:50:06  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Frank, they have that on sale for $134!

paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

AADIVER
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
966 Posts

Response Posted - 09/12/2006 :  20:26:28  Show Profile  Visit AADIVER's Homepage
That's exactly what I paid for the basic boat. The motor mount transom, hand pump, and oars upped the total to 230.00 including sales tax and shipping.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dphalsmer
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
3 Posts

Response Posted - 09/13/2006 :  11:12:47  Show Profile
Hi All, great forum!
I always viewed those inflatables, except of the high-powerd established brand dingys, as kind-of toys, are they rugged enough to stand up to the wear? Anyone had much experience with them?

David Halsmer
Lady Kristine #177

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

AADIVER
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
966 Posts

Response Posted - 09/13/2006 :  19:08:28  Show Profile  Visit AADIVER's Homepage
David, I only use a dink two or three times a year so no need for a higher quality, higher priced inflatable. Mine will get tested in a few weeks during a 4 day cruise to Catalina Island.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JohnMD
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
207 Posts

Response Posted - 09/27/2006 :  06:16:13  Show Profile
I bought a dinghy off EBay. The brand is Baltik Boats. 7.5 foot dinghy cost me 396 bucks including shipping. It resembles a Bombard and holds two grownups quite easily. I think that's 1/3 the cost of most other brands of dinghies. It's inflatable and weighs about 70 lbs.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

AADIVER
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
966 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2006 :  11:45:16  Show Profile  Visit AADIVER's Homepage
Forget about the Sevylor HF360. It's unstable and does NOT handle a 2 horse gas o/b very well despite its claims. Next...?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Turk
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
736 Posts

Response Posted - 09/29/2006 :  07:04:16  Show Profile  Visit Turk's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JohnMD</i>
<br />I bought a dinghy off EBay. The brand is Baltik Boats. 7.5 foot dinghy cost me 396 bucks including shipping. It resembles a Bombard and holds two grownups quite easily. I think that's 1/3 the cost of most other brands of dinghies. It's inflatable and weighs about 70 lbs.

I bought a Baltik air floor - 11 footer and it is great. I did not expect the quality I got for the money. There are several companies selling this same inflatable under another name for around $1495. I paid $648 with two seats and $99 for shipping. If you e-mail the company and talk to the owner he said he would honor that price for everyone. I bought mine on E-bay and waited for an "offer" auction and that is the price he accepted.

Hi,
Yes, we can sell your friend one for the same price.
Please send him this email, so he can pay by using the button below:
Let me know if you need any help with it.

Regards,
Robert

If anyone is interested I would be happy to help get that price. The air floor is great and will support up to a 10 hp outboard. Wood floor (or composite) will go up to a 15 hp outboard. Guys at my marina were amazed at the quality. PVC the same thickness as the lower end Zodiacs. Just buy yourself a spray bottle of 303 UV protectorant.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 09/29/2006 :  07:21:32  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Baltik air floor - 11 footer<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Thats a pretty good looking dinghy, worthwhile checking their site for the manufacturing and materials details.
Frank Farmer may want to go look at that site!

Paul.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Turk
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
736 Posts

Response Posted - 09/29/2006 :  08:11:55  Show Profile  Visit Turk's Homepage

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

aeckhart
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1709 Posts

Response Posted - 09/29/2006 :  12:37:49  Show Profile  Visit aeckhart's Homepage
Yes, a very nice boat. Do they make a 7 footer?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Turk
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
736 Posts

Response Posted - 09/29/2006 :  16:12:52  Show Profile  Visit Turk's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by aeckhart</i>
<br />Yes, a very nice boat. Do they make a 7 footer?

Yep - look them up on Ebay. Look at his feedback rating and click on some of the previously won auctions. Look for the lowest price for a 7 footer (air floor or wood floor) and offer him that amount striaght up. He will take it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tom Potter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1913 Posts

Response Posted - 09/29/2006 :  17:14:29  Show Profile
Here's a look at the Baltik 8.6 footer with a HP floor. Bought it a couple years ago. Very stable. Can't beat the e-bay price.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page