Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Outboard "Freezing"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

moserd
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
149 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/28/2007 :  07:32:04  Show Profile
I have a quick question for the 'experts' out there. I live in Alabama and we don't get very cold weather, at least not often. I have NEVER until recently heard of an outboard motor being damaged by a freeze. I keep the motor tilted up and hopefully drained of water so cannot see the danger. Any opinions out there?

Don

Don Moser

Edited by - on

cat1951
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
636 Posts

Response Posted - 01/28/2007 :  10:46:03  Show Profile
Don,
That is how mine is right now. Just tilted up and drained. It is 2 years old and doesn't seem to have suffered. One thing I will do next year is to put a cover over the motor. Mostly for esthetics, I hate to clean the darn thing all the time. Of course, I will defer to others with more experience, but for me no problems.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tradewind
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
531 Posts

Response Posted - 01/28/2007 :  10:52:51  Show Profile
An outboard mechanic warned me once about putting a cover on the engine, said it trapped moisture inside and caused problems. Make sure the cover is not plastic if you do cover it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

danandlu
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
167 Posts

Response Posted - 01/28/2007 :  11:39:51  Show Profile  Visit danandlu's Homepage
The manual for my Tohatsu 9.8 says to leave the motor down with the shaft in the water during freezing weather.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

At Ease
Admiral

Members Avatar

672 Posts

Response Posted - 01/28/2007 :  12:43:09  Show Profile
The motor cover is like a boat cover...be sure it can get air into it...underneath works for the motor cover. If either are sealed that's when the condensation developes. When I had an outboard I always took it home and put it in the garage for winter.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

High H2O
1st Mate

Members Avatar

35 Posts

Response Posted - 01/29/2007 :  08:47:39  Show Profile
I'm a year-round sailor in southern Colorado. Freezing temps. are common, especially this year, but I have never had any outboard problems. One additional precaution I take is to hold down the kill button and pull the rope starter three or four times to remove water that is trapped between the water pump blades. Not doing so could damage the rubber impeller.

Has anyone heard of a water balast hull being damaged by freezing temps? We have had an extended cold snap that has me concerned. High H2O is in a slip in open water but the marina is surrounded by ice. How about adding salt to the ballast tank?

Ric

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

americanrascal
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
50 Posts

Response Posted - 02/01/2007 :  20:18:47  Show Profile
Don:

I keep my shaft (Merc 9.9)in the water after running the engine dry. I had a bad experience with a cracked foot on an older boat with an outboard that I had kept tilted. The shaft apparently failed to drain all the water out and the foot cracked. Since then I've kept the foot down.

We are on West Point (the front half of the boat is in AL the stern is in GA )and we typically see water temps year round in the 50's on the top layer. Never have had a problem (so far!).

Joe

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 02/02/2007 :  06:02:45  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by High H2O</i>
<br />How about adding salt to the ballast tank?

Ric
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Then you would float lower!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bear
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
909 Posts

Response Posted - 02/02/2007 :  08:38:41  Show Profile
Ric, I don't know how you can chance the ballast tank freezing if is this cold. Why not pump it out and dump some RV antifreeze to mix in with the water that is left? "Just my two cents."

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

CaptRon400
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
90 Posts

Response Posted - 02/02/2007 :  08:49:03  Show Profile
If the engine has a port to connect a water hose to flush it out, you can easily build an air / garden hose adapter fitting and blow it out instead with a compressor (obviously with the motor off, but manually crank it for a second to rotate the water pump impeller). This should get rid of virtually all of the water / moisture in the outboard. This is how they "drain" lawn spinklers, pool tubing, etc. I also do this on the fresh water systems on my boats. You don't wind up with the antifreeze smell, feel and taste this way.

Another option is to run antifreeze through the port for a few seconds, like they do on larger inboards.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

High H2O
1st Mate

Members Avatar

35 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2007 :  08:19:31  Show Profile
I checked the water temperature at my slip and found it to be 35. The marina has dozens of de-icers that draw warmer to the surface. Forecasted highs are in the 60's this week so I think the season's coldest weather has passed.

Edited by - High H2O on 02/05/2007 08:23:13
Go to Top of Page

kevinmac
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
732 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2007 :  10:01:23  Show Profile
We had a long series for freezes each night followed by thaw during the day. I was worried about my Yamaha 8HP outboard, which I keep tilted out of the water (I bought the power tilt, decadence is lovely). I checked it this weekend, it ran fine, impeller is fine. After use, I noticed that when I tilted it out of the water, all the water seems to drain out the lowest point on the motor. FWIW.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page