Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Whisker Pole
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/27/2007 :  17:59:27  Show Profile
I kept my Forespar HD 6-12 whisker pole when we sold the C22. Now I see that the WM catalog recommends the 7-14 size for a 25' sailboat with genoa (6-12 with jib). Anyone using a 6-12 and the 135 genny and liking it or do I need to sell it and go bigger? My 6-12 is 1-7/8" size while the 7-14 is 2" so the 7-14 is probably a bit sturdier. Not interested in home-made solutions. I am a believer in purpose-built whisker and spinnaker poles.

We cannot direct the winds but we can adjust our sails.

Edited by - on

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 07/27/2007 :  21:43:42  Show Profile
Whisper came w/ a wisper pole, but there is no place to store it, as it's pretty long - what do others do for storage?
Thanks!

Edited by - jerlim on 07/27/2007 21:44:24
Go to Top of Page

AADIVER
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
966 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2007 :  19:39:10  Show Profile  Visit AADIVER's Homepage
<font size="2"></font id="size2"><font color="blue"></font id="blue"> Storage on a 250? Precious little. So little, in fact, that after three days of cruising with wife and daughter this weekend we're highly motivated to move up to a 30 with an inboard Yanmar. It was suggested we find an early '80's 30, replace the Universal with a Yanmar, and enjoy more storage space and full headroom, and, etc., etc. What say y'all 250'ers?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

frogger
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
184 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2007 :  20:16:17  Show Profile
Whatever suits you.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2007 :  22:44:16  Show Profile
Jerlim, the best place to store the pole would be on the stanchions up front so they are out of the way. There are rail-mount holders for poles. They can also be stored upright on the front of the mast. I wouldn't try to store one inside.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2007 :  07:05:11  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Randy, I've seen several options for storing the whisker pole (our is stored in the garage right now )

I took an idea from Tom Potter and put a couple of carabiners on the lifeline and hook each end of the pole into them.

I use one of the carabiners to hold the furler drum during mast raising/lowering (Tom's Idea which works great!)

Paul.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

kevinmac
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
732 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2007 :  07:21:46  Show Profile
We use one carabiner on the lifeline and attach the other end of the pole on the forestay. When we are away from the boat, the pole goes down below, with one end forward in the v-berth and the other attached to one of the internal support rods.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2007 :  09:41:23  Show Profile
I wish I would have had one yesterday morning. I got home and found one on E-bay but the current bid was over $200. Why are they so expensive? They seem to be pretty simple technology. Can I find a bargain one somewhere?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

willy
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
422 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2007 :  14:07:41  Show Profile
I currently keep my whisker pole below on the starboard side of the aft berth with one of its ends peaking out by the hatchboard holder but the carabiner idea sounds GREAT!
I don't remember what I paid for it but it was considerably less then 200.00. DEFENDER has one for $114.00 that should work fine...extends to 12' if you have the standard jib. Mine has the clamping fittings on both ends which made it difficult to attach to the sail without a loop of rope. ( the clamp was not large enough to fit into the grommet. Many of them have a "spikey end" that just fits through the grommet instead but I like having the clamp. REALLY helps with the wing on wing.
As far as the Catalina 30 goes, I sailed one from the Connecticut River to Block Island about a month ago and I was very impressed with the amount of space below. My friend bought it for under 20K and while it needs some small work...a new dodger and some clean-up it was a terrific boat. No wonder they are among the most popular production boats ever made.
Willy

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2007 :  14:18:27  Show Profile
Thanks for the carabiner idea!

Now, as for size. What size poles do you use with your 135 genny? Is the 6-12 enough or do I need to go to the 7-14 size??

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

kevinmac
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
732 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2007 :  17:06:05  Show Profile
I have a 7-17 or 7-14 or whatever forespars size it. It was recommended to me for strength, not necessarily length. I have no idea if I actually need it or not, I have often wondered if a 6-12 would work OK.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2007 :  18:08:05  Show Profile
Randy, I think you need a 7 -14 then you can make me a great deal on a 6 -12

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

frogger
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
184 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2007 :  18:46:41  Show Profile
I store my Forespar HD 7-14 whisker pole on brackets on the stanchions on starboard so they are out of the way - out of the way but always available.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

johnsonp
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
606 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2007 :  21:06:27  Show Profile
<font color="blue"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">This is where I stored my pole.
I had a 155 foresail.

paulj</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="blue">

Edited by - johnsonp on 07/30/2007 21:07:55
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2007 :  21:43:29  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
The outboard end of the whisker pole is not supposed to be hooked through the clew, but rather the sheet should go through the pole hook. That way if the you jybe, then the pole won't hit the forestay.

I'm setting mine up so that there is a topping lift and a downhaul that also keeps the pole set abeam as required.

paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dubedoo
1st Mate

Members Avatar

68 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2007 :  09:37:52  Show Profile
Hi Randy,

I don't have a 135, just the 110 and I use the 6-12 pole...... but the way my feeble mind works is that the 6-12 is sure strong enough for a 135 and with a J length of 9 feet times 135% equalling 12.15 feet........can't see why someone would really need more than 12 feet with the 135. Personally, I wouldn't want the weight of the bigger pole either, if I could avoid it. (at least I got it back on subject and maybe will provoke some discussion

Steve
C250 WB #702

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

welshoff
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
253 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2007 :  15:00:08  Show Profile
Randy,
I use a 6-12 whisker pole with no problems. I have a Forspar lexan mast pad eye installed (wm part #111567). I figure the lexan will break before the pole? Anyway no problems to date. To store it, I just put it behind the rigging rod suports on the starboard side of the boat. It just kind of "wedges" in between the hull and the rigging rod. I put my boat hook there as well.

Here is a picture in light air - pole will come up horizontal when the wind is a little stronger. (note: I originally used this pole on my C27 and it worked on that boat with a 150% head sail).

Edited by - welshoff on 07/31/2007 15:03:14
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2007 :  18:04:18  Show Profile
Thanks Wil. I will kep the pole. Sorry John.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

johnsonp
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
606 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2007 :  00:08:21  Show Profile

<font color="blue"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">6-12 twist lock on a 155 foresail.
paulj

</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="blue">

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2007 :  07:53:13  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Paulj, were you leaning for effect

The traveller on the port side appears empty, is that the sheet running down by the toerail on the port side?

Sure looks like a great sailing location, where is it?

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

johnsonp
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
606 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2007 :  11:39:02  Show Profile
<font color="blue"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">I took this rigging idea years ago from Arlyn's ramblings and modified it.

paulj</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="blue">

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2007 :  12:46:57  Show Profile
Does'nt the pole and biners foul the genny? I'm going to investigate the mast storage.
Thanks everyone!
jl

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page