Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Tear in my Sail
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RedRedWhine
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
167 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/13/2007 :  08:12:40  Show Profile  Visit RedRedWhine's Homepage
I have a small tear in my head sail. I saw it on Saturday when I was rolling it up. It is about 3" long and is at the leech. Not sure how it got there but I am afraid that if I don't fix it soon it will get worse. I can't pull the boat out of the water because I do not have a trailer. Since it is a roller furler I think I will have to lower the mast. Any ideas would be great. Thanks for the help.

Don and Kim Young
Las Vegas Nv
http://web.me.com/bolter303/Our_World/Welcome.html

Edited by - on

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 08/13/2007 :  08:23:07  Show Profile
You shouldn't have to take the mast down to remove the sail from the furler. It should be hoisted by a halyard that's either internal to the furler like my CDI or using the headsail halyard at the mast. In either case, it should slide down the furler once the halyard is released. If you have a CDI like mine, remember to attach an extension line to the halyard so that you can pull it back down once you get the repair made.

If the repair is small enough, you might try to fix it yourself while it's still on the boat, WM has the stuff you'll need. (Needle, thread, patch material, tape etc.)

Edited by - John Russell on 08/13/2007 15:12:04
Go to Top of Page

RedRedWhine
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
167 Posts

Response Posted - 08/13/2007 :  20:57:44  Show Profile  Visit RedRedWhine's Homepage
I looked on WM's site and did not see much. What kit (product #) do you recomend.

Don

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 08/13/2007 :  21:45:25  Show Profile
If there is a store nearby, go in and talk with them. It really depends on the tear. If it is simply a seam ripped out, you need a needle and thread. If you have a tear in the fabric, sail tape might be the thing.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JohnMD
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
207 Posts

Response Posted - 08/13/2007 :  22:40:02  Show Profile
I've been sailing for 30 years and I have yet to see a piece of tape stand up for very long. If you've developed a tear, or, a seam has come apart, it will most certainly get worse. Find a local sail loft and take the jib down (just the jib, not the forestay) and get them to fix it properly. They have the experience and know how to fix it right. If you can't find one locally, most will accept work by mail. I just had a window put in a 135 headsail. Looks great.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

RedRedWhine
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
167 Posts

Response Posted - 08/14/2007 :  08:51:37  Show Profile  Visit RedRedWhine's Homepage
The tear is in the sail, not the seam. It is about 3-4" long. It is about 3" from the leech. Not sure how it happend, I have looked around and did not fine anything that may have caused it. I will be in San Diego Aug 31- Sept 2. Does anyone kow of a good sail repair shop that I can drop the saill off at? Thnaks.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 08/14/2007 :  09:32:34  Show Profile
I wasn't clear before. The tape solution was meant to be a relatively short term solution until an adequate repair could be made. It would probably last the season. Point is moot if one of our San Diego members can direct Don to a loft.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5853 Posts

Response Posted - 08/14/2007 :  10:20:35  Show Profile
Do you know anyone who has an ordinary home sewing machine? You can get a piece of sailcloth and some thread from sailrite and sew a simple patch over it, using a zigzag stitch.

Before sewing on the patch, seal the edges of the patch, as well as the edges of the torn fabric, by using a soldering iron or soldering gun to slightly melt the loose threads. Then use a zigzag stitch to sew the patch onto the sail, sewing around the perimeter of the patch. Finally, use a zigzag stitch to sew the edges of the torn fabric to the patch. If the tear is in a place where the fabric is smooth and flat, and that has no seams, it's an easy 15 minute repair that really doesn't require a sailmaker's expertise.

For simple repairs, I'd rather do it myself, because sometimes a sailmaker might not get to your repair for awhile, especially during the busy summer season. By doing it yourself, you don't have to wait for the sailmaker to get around to it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 08/14/2007 :  10:34:30  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Don,
There are a number of sail lofts in San Diego, the only one I've been to (a long time ago) was [url="http://na.northsails.com/contact_us.taf?_function=detail&loft_uid1=27&_UserReference=7F00000146EB47BFE6CAAE2EF5D146071321"]North Sails[/url]. There's a link for directions on the site above. There are several other lofts (or there used to be) in that general area (Harbor Island), so you should be able to find one to do your repair while you're there. One of the San Diego fleet guys can probably give you better (IE more up to date) advice.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

RedRedWhine
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
167 Posts

Response Posted - 08/14/2007 :  18:10:24  Show Profile  Visit RedRedWhine's Homepage
Thanks for the help. I have a friend that can sow and I will try to remove the sail tomorrow and see what I can do. Thanks for all the help. It sounds like a easy repair and I will have her show me how to do it so that in the future I can do it myself.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page