Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Outboard Security
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sterngucker
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
169 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/15/2007 :  22:03:45  Show Profile
Last weekend, I started down to the boat after being away for three weeks and immediately noticed something wasn't right. No big black thing hanging off the transom. I ran down to the boat and sure enough the motor was gone. They had cut the small lock on the clamp screw ears and removed the bolts through the transom. They did leave a nut and washer. They also took my fuel tank, a Tempo 6 gallon metal fuel tank that fit so well in the fuel locker, which Tempo discontinued before they recently went out of business. Unfortunately, or, more so, I had left the steering linkage pin and washers on top of the fuel tank. It's obvious that it took them a few minutes to carefully remove the fuel line that I had snaked through a drain hole. The electrical disconnect was easy as unplugging a connector. No damage was done to the boat in the process.

My first reaction is to drape the next motor in chains and locks. That might hinder my piloting. <b>What devices or systems does everyone use? Anybody incorporate an alarm system? Anyone install a latch on their fuel locker? </b> (C Angel doesn't have one there.)

P.S. I did find a replacement tank online today. It seems only a few dealers have any left in stock.

Charlie
"C Angel" 250WB #799

Edited by - sterngucker on 11/15/2007 22:04:56

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3369 Posts

Response Posted - 11/15/2007 :  22:27:04  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Hard to deal with the loss. I have the channel lock that fits over the kmobs tightening the motor to the outboard motor bracket. Believe the way the lock fits on the channel, it is very hard to get to the U part of the lock to cut or snap it off.

One thing I considered when looking for a marina was one that had security gates to each dock. That does not ensure against theft but limits access to mostly only the boat owners. So...that helps a bit. I have a fairly new engine, so I use a cloth cover over it's head to protect it from fading and also to make it's newness less conspicuous. Not sure if any of these things will deter someone really intent on taking the motor....but may help a little.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 11/15/2007 :  23:02:34  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage
I'm very sorry to hear about the theft of your outboard. As for prevention, having an old and ugly boat and motor has worked for me so far. I also suggest a bicycle security cable w/marine grade padlock to a heavy duty U-bolt through the transom. Besides providing some degree of theft deterence, a cable lock also serves as a safety tether in the event of a motor mount failure.

-- Leon S.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ericson33
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
892 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2007 :  03:07:42  Show Profile  Visit Ericson33's Homepage
we have a small 4 hp I take it off and store it in the locker. I do this in the winter time, for the rest of the season its just bolted onto the transom, I figure if someone wants to steal it, they will, locked or not.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2007 :  05:48:01  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
I am also sorry to hear about your theft. I am an insurance agent, and when my customers call me to report a theft I hear the anger and sadness they feel so I know what you must experience. I too bothers me Ive got some nice equipment just sitting there. My marina has video so I am somewhat more at ease. But it still happens. I hope you had insurance.
Also did not know about Tempo. I have been putting off getting a 6gal but I better get order in ASAP.
Steve

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Renzo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
621 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2007 :  07:31:30  Show Profile
Charlie, don't feel like the lone stranger! A few years ago I had the same experience of arriving at my boat and finding the moter gone. (By the way, Larry, I had one of those channel locks on my motor and it didn't even slow the theives down because they stole 4 other motors and an inflatable in the same marina on the same night)I called my insurance company and purchased a new Johnson 9.9, installed it on the boat with a new channel lock,secure in the knolledge that the Marina personnel and the Sheriff had stepped up patrolls after the multiple thefts.Two weeks later my new motor was stolen!

I was hesitant to call my Boat US insurance agent again but I did and he was very understanding and said it was not uncommon for theives to return to the scene of the crime to reap the rewards of replaced items.

So what I did with the new, new motor was to remove all the manufacture decals and paint my boat name on the engine cover and on the shaft. also I bolt the motor to the bracket board and have locking nuts on the bolts; then I also wrap a chain, tightly, around the shaft and motor mount bracket and lock it with a padlock (I remove the chain when I go sailing). Even with all this, I have no doubt that if some one want's to steal my motor they will get it. The only thing I may have accomplished is to make it a less appealing target.

The only other thing I can think of is to install an unobtrusive security camera and alarm system on the boat, but that seems a bit extreme and costly.

sorry about your loss and good luck with the replacement.

Edited by - Renzo on 11/16/2007 07:32:30
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2007 :  08:42:02  Show Profile
Sorry to hear of the loss of your outboard...Nothing burns my butt more than theft and vanadalism!

As far as outboard security, I use the masterlock outboard channel lock, but I think I could get it off simply by prying the slot open. The bicycle cable type locks are, in my opinion, just a step above a dock line in regards to security. A few years ago in the dry storage lot of my marina, outboards were stolen from 3 or 4 boats and it was apparent they used bolt cutters to easily dispense with steering/shifter cables, fuel lines, electrical wiring, and cable locks.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2007 :  09:26:40  Show Profile
Along the lines of Renzo's suggestion, you could paint the motor Air Force Visible Orange. I painted my name on my new 28 lb. Honda 2 just to make it a little less attractive (some would say a lot).

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2007 :  09:49:13  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by OLarryR</i>
<br />
One thing I considered when looking for a marina was one that had security gates to each dock. That does not ensure against theft but limits access to mostly only the boat owners.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I am under the impression it is usually people in fishing boats doing the stealing so a gate would not help. I am a member of older and uglier is better, I blew a lot of the paint off my cowl with a pressure washer and my Honda looks worse than everyone else's.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2007 :  09:55:41  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Man, that just sucks. Apparently we had someone in our marina siphoning gas a few weeks back, but no other thefts. I suspect it might have been a targeted thing because the only guy who was complaining about it had gas siphoned from both his boat & his truck, and he strikes me as one of those guys who like to run his Grady White by you at 25 knots 20 yards away.

They'd have to get in by water, or have access to our electronic keys or be a monkey. The marina is currently upgrading the locks to proximity cards instead of swipes which will be nice. If someone loses their card, you just turn off it's access. The only way in is through a high razor wired gate or by water. We also supposedly have a night watchman from sundown to sunup, but I've never seen him.

I currently have no theft prevention devices in place on my engine, never really thought about it, I guess I should. If nothing else, the guy two slips down has a really nice brand new Honda four stroke on his boat, maybe they'll take that instead of my ten year old two stroke.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2007 :  10:18:55  Show Profile
May your old outboard propel the thieves in front of a container ship at full speed...

We went with the Stazo lock which Practical Sailor endorses. Not inexpensive but works well (and is stainless steel ).

We also found the 6 gallon Tempo tank. They are out there.

[url="http://www.sailorssolutions.com/index.asp?page=ProductDetails&Item=lock01"]Stazo OB Lock[/url]

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3369 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2007 :  11:28:06  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Frank,

Agree that security gates to the dock will not necessarily stop a thief because they can enter the marina area with a fishing boat. At best locks, security gates, etc are deterrents. if they want the motor they will find a way to take it. I have on occasion seen small fishing boats come in between the dock/finger slips at our marina for "fishing". Others wanting to steal a motor, that would be one way to gain access.

If the motor was stolen and then it happened again to the replacement
motor.....that's a hard one to then go out and buy another....then taking addl precautions and have it on my mind.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2007 :  12:34:48  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Randy, your link didn't work, but I think [url="http://home.vicnet.net.au/~yard/products/stazo/security.html"]this [/url]is what you're talking about.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2007 :  12:42:54  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
Insurance companies should give you a discount if you have a lock like the Stazo. Or give you one free if your engine was stolen twice!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

stampeder
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1608 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2007 :  13:02:27  Show Profile
The Navy Marina we moor at on the west coast was hit by thieves recently. Amazing to me because any time I'm out there, there's a Gofast with a couple of Navy boys with guns who always want to come over and check me out. Kinda like that old adage, 'there's never a cop around when you really need one'.
The commodore of our sailing club at our Lake had his Zodiac and 15HP OB stolen last summer.

Anywhoo ...sorry about your loss, that sucks bigtime.

We use two locks - a high grade bicycle cable lock and a stout chain with a rubber cover. The theory being, that thieves are often equiped to steal with a single method ie: bolt cutters. The bicycle cable is very thick and has a very slippery cover, apparently this makes it difficult and time consuming to cut. The big fat chain has a rubber cover so that it doesn't leave any marks when it swings about, and the cover also makes it difficult to use the bolt cutters on. Nothing will stop a determined thief but at least we can make it difficult and possibly deter thieves to look for another easier target. I also think it is a great idea to have an ugly and easy to identify OB.
This is a good reminder to ugly-up the OB for next spring.

Edited by - stampeder on 11/16/2007 15:21:18
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2007 :  13:33:57  Show Profile
If someone was so inclined, they could throw off my docklines and sail the whole boat away.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Renzo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
621 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2007 :  13:59:22  Show Profile
Just a couple more comments from one whose been there.

You don't necessarily have to make your outboard engine ugly to discourage theft, you just have to make it highly visible and uniquely identifiable. The thieves usually want to make a quick, anonymous sale.

You don't want to lock up your motor or, especially your cabin, too securely because thieves don't care how much damage they have to do to your boat to get at what the want. They don't think like us, I've heard stories where they have used large pry bars to break in to a cabin, causing thousands of dollars worth of damage, just to steal a few bottles of booze and some tools. And Iv'e heard of them ripping a hole in a transom to steal a 15 year old outboard. So what you want to do is make your boat an undesirable target one that is too risky because it will take too long (multiple locks) or make too much noise (alarms etc.) Then maybe they will find a newer, easier less identifiable target a few dock away.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2007 :  14:55:29  Show Profile
David, the link works for me. The Stazo OB lock is different than what your link goes to. Here is another link - to Australia! Most of the Google hits I get on Stazo are in Europe and Australia so it must be popular there.

[url="http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=135&item=55140&intAbsolutePage=1"]Stazo OB Lock[/url]

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ClamBeach
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3072 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2007 :  15:31:11  Show Profile
"...have to make it highly visible and uniquely identifiable. The thieves usually want to make a quick, anonymous sale..."

Renzo has it figured... make something immediately identifiable, unique, and most thieves won't want anything to do with it. That's not to say it won't get stolen, but it lowers the odds.

For another theft deterrent use left-handed bolts to secure your outboard and bracket.
Heh heh... diabolical. Cable locks fall instantly to cable cutters, chains and padlocks to bolt-cutters, an angle grinder and a few minutes will defeat almost anything.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

crcalhoon
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
303 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2007 :  16:33:23  Show Profile
I'm not sure how to make this applicable, but I'm sure it can be done. About 13 years ago I went to a place called Mill and Mine Supply and purchased 4 feet of alloy chain for my gate at home. I also got a big shouldered padlock to try to keep the bolt cutters away. When I told the guy at the mine supply that I knew that any chain could be cut, but I wanted to make it difficult for them, he said "yeah, you're right, but I'll guarantee that one man can't lift the bolt cutters it takes to cut this stuff." Obviously not in salt water, but it has hung on my gate for 13 years and not rusted significantly. Oh, and it was $7.00 per foot then.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 11/17/2007 :  01:31:24  Show Profile
Charlie,

I wrap Galv. chain through the outboard handle and around the stern rail behind the fuel locker.
It's rusty and very visible from the water.
My thinking is someone cruising up the channel will see it and keep going.
It wouldn't be hard to cut the chain, but they might look for an easier target.
Once on board, they might spend more time breaking a surprise lock because they are already commited verses not bothering to begin with.

I might consider the "Safety Orange" spray paint though.

Russ Johnson C250WB #793

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3369 Posts

Response Posted - 11/17/2007 :  08:35:47  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I know this is a serious subject but the length as to what some have to do to ensure reasonable protection for the motor reminds me of the battle I have had with squirrels to stop thievery from 2 birdfeeders I have in the backyard. I then took it upon myself to devise a contraption to keep them off the feeders. I did not want to buy the feeders that work off a spring and close the feeder to any animal heavier than a bird because it seemed like the weak link would be when the spring rusts out/becomes non-functional...so:

After many unsuccessful attempts, I finally came up with a successful method and with no moving parts to it: I bought from Home Depot the galvanized sheets that clip together to form cylinders used for ventilation ducting. I clipped two of these together to make one large diameter cylinder and used one of these for each of the feeders. I strung it below the feeder on the pole. I had to enclose the top of it with wire mesh because the chipmunks would scurry up and down the pole thru the cylinder in 2 seconds flat to access the feeder. So the mesh solved that problem.

Then having made a successful project stopping the squirrel thievery, I stood back and looked at my work from the kitchen window. What we have here is basically what looks like 2 garbage can diameter tubes strung on poles about 4 feet off the ground. What a hideous sight !

Now do I redesign this thing to make it more aesthetic for us and the neighbors or just throw the towel in and let the squirrels have a field day ? Afterall, they need to eat as well !

Edited by - OLarryR on 11/17/2007 08:36:52
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 11/17/2007 :  10:13:50  Show Profile
I've got the channel lock device and have bolted the motor to the bracket and the bracket to the stern w/ lock nuts. It won't stop 'em, but will slow them down.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 11/17/2007 :  10:23:14  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
What about painting your boats name or CF on the motor? Perhaps in a bright <font color="orange">orange.</font id="orange">
Same could go for your dinghy, life sling, etc. I just purchased 2 Garhauer Midship Cleats for $80. After reading this, I am considering etching some identification on them.
Steve A

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 11/17/2007 :  11:59:18  Show Profile
I'm just naive. I haven't locked mine. I guess I depend on the idea that the bad guys would have to walk past a lot of others before getting to mine since my slip is pretty far out on the dock. What response did your marina have to the theft? Hopefully the insurance company came through quickly.

I'm buying a lock in the spring.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

stampeder
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1608 Posts

Response Posted - 11/17/2007 :  17:06:50  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">What response did your marina have to the theft?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

They tacked up a note on the Notice Board. 'Thieves struck again, make sure your stuff is securely locked. The marina is not responsible'.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page