Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Here's Recess! - added more pics
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/18/2008 :  22:46:55  Show Profile
Here's a few pictures of Recess when we bought her, some before and after shots:

The trailer belongs to the guy who did the bottom work. The before shot of the bottom was after spending an hour pressure washing it right after we pulled her out from over 3 yrs in the water.
Also, before we added her name to the hull.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN

Edited by - dmpilc on 01/18/2008 23:43:36

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2008 :  04:53:51  Show Profile
Amazing what some TLC will do for her. Great job!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1739 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2008 :  08:30:42  Show Profile
Very nice!! With some effort, TLC and love they clean up well! I wish I had taken good shots of Limerick when I first got her. The boat had been partially shrink wrapped, on the hard for several years. The mildew and dirt was significant (green decks and black cabin). My son attacked the clean up with seldom seen gusto and thouroughness and over the winter we scraped the bottom paint off so we had a nice smooth surface to start from. This year we attack the electrical and, if time permits the plumbing. The longer I have her the prettier Catalina 25's look! Yours reflects your caring and I am sure she will reward you with good sailing for years to come!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ClamBeach
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3072 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2008 :  09:34:10  Show Profile
Back to pristine shape... It's amazing how well older boats clean up... as long as they haven't gone past the point of suffering 'real' damage.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2008 :  10:01:38  Show Profile
That is a sweet looking boat! Nice job and I bet the boat is happy as hell that you bought her!!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2008 :  10:27:32  Show Profile
We're having fun with it. Lucked out, local boat that I saw on Ebay, and a guy at the same yacht club had a trailer and did good bottom work. I just had to stay on him to get the work done. He has since moved up east.
See "replacing motor mount..." thread for pics of that project. After winter is over, I'll swap out the 5hp Merc for the new Nissan 9.8 elec start.

Edited by - dmpilc on 01/19/2008 10:32:14
Go to Top of Page

stampeder
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1608 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2008 :  13:14:17  Show Profile
Nicely done.
What is the state of the rigging?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2008 :  22:14:59  Show Profile
Thanks ato all for the nice comments! Rigging seems to be in good shape, no frayed wires that I know of. I do need to work some on the turnbuckles, a few are a bit hard to adjust. Purchased boat Sept. 06, inspected the keel cable and bracket attaching it to the keel prior to launching Nov '06 and found them to be in good condition. Cable attachment bracket fairly new. I had to replace almost all of the running rigging when we bought her. Came with main, jib, and an older genoa. Sent main and genoa to Sail Care for refurbishing, and they did a good job. Found a used genoa on internet and bought it last week. Ordered a Rolly Tasker new 135% full-hoist genoa from National Sail Supply in Brooksville, FL. Should arrive in about 5-6 weeks. I've got a separate concurrent thread about adapting a powerboat cover to the C-25, in the General forum section. Took pics today, will upload them tonight or tomorrow.
Next big project will probably be recovering the cushions inside the boat. Got to find the right material first.

Edited by - dmpilc on 01/19/2008 22:27:25
Go to Top of Page

ClamBeach
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3072 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2008 :  22:34:41  Show Profile
"I do need to work some on the turnbuckles, a few are a bit hard to adjust."

If they are the old stainless steel 'closed body' (tubular) style turnbuckles, replace them with open body bronze... the stainless turnbuckle bodies and stainless shroud ends will gall and sieze up. Not a pretty thing when that happens as it often ruins the shroud end. :>(

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2008 :  22:53:36  Show Profile
I still have some of the closed body ones on our C-22. however, on the C-25, they are all open body. Probably just need to be taken apart and cleaned/lubed.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Don B
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
317 Posts

Response Posted - 01/20/2008 :  08:48:07  Show Profile
Beautiful boat David. Just a note on the standing rigging...I was always on the lookout for frayed wires and other signs of wear. Recently, an experienced sailor pointed my attention to the swedge fittings. There were cracks in the majority of my fittings. Needless to say, I've just put the Mighty M back in the water after a major refit...standing rigging, running rigging (no more wire to line halyard) motor mount, gudgeons, harken furler...and am now preparing for my circumnavigation.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

tinob
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1883 Posts

Response Posted - 01/20/2008 :  12:11:33  Show Profile
Don B.

I also put a dab of nail polish at the joint where the cable enters the turnbuckle. If ever you see a space where the nail polish/turnbuckle joint was then understand that the cable is coming loose and needs replacement.

Val on the hard DAGNABIT # 3936, Patchogue, N.Y.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 01/20/2008 :  12:14:40  Show Profile
David: Do you know the vintage of the standing rigging? If original, 25 years (?) is well past its recommended life. SS wire can develop "crevice corrosion" down inside the swage--the same thing that caused Don's cracks--you won't see it till the shroud lets go. The only way to spot it is with an x-ray, which is way too expensive to make sense for our boats. You have some advantage in fresh water, but only up to a point. Again, if it's original, you'll <i>probably</i> be OK for a while, but just <i>probably</i>.

Edited by - Dave Bristle on 01/20/2008 12:17:33
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 01/20/2008 :  14:28:32  Show Profile
I should think that it is the original rigging. I'll be sure to give it a good look-over before summer, just to be safe. Any idea what a new set of shrouds will cost?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page